Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 897 total)
  • Author

Jimbo Jones wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>

Jimbo Jones wrote >>
    I have to pay $120/month to park downtown. So, I don’t really care whether the meter fees are increasing.

Well, if you had to pay $180, would you care? That’s how some of us feel…

I would go someplace where I don’t have to pay to park (see, Easton or Polaris).

Exactly why this rate increase is such a bad idea.

Tenzo
    Participant

MUCH nicer than my email:

I’m not sure this is the best way to revitalize the downtown.
    It would be more direct if the mayor would just bitch slap anyone from the burbs who tries to come downtown and spend money.
    ….

Jimbo Jones wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>

Jimbo Jones wrote >>
    I have to pay $120/month to park downtown. So, I don’t really care whether the meter fees are increasing.

Then I would walk to work, or I would go someplace where I don’t have to pay to park (see, Easton or Polaris).

lol…wow @ contributing meaningful statements to the conversation completely by accident.

catnfiddle
    Participant

spookygoddess78 wrote >>

Jimbo Jones wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>

Jimbo Jones wrote >>

I would go someplace where I don’t have to pay to park (see, Easton or Polaris).

Exactly why this rate increase is such a bad idea.

+1

blammo
    Participant

Jimbo Jones wrote >>

Do you park in the same paid-for spot regardless of where you want to visit downtown? Or do you only go downtown for work?

Even if I already paid $120 a month to park, say, in front of Nationwide, I don’t know how stoked I’d be to walk from there all the way to Dirty Frank’s, especially in the sludge of winter.

manticore33
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    Looks like I’ll be adding to my already impressive collection of unpaid parking tickets. I will also be returning to my habit of putting an old ticket on my windshield whenever I park downtown.

Until they suspend your registration and you must illegally drive your car. :)

manticore33 wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>
    Looks like I’ll be adding to my already impressive collection of unpaid parking tickets. I will also be returning to my habit of putting an old ticket on my windshield whenever I park downtown.

Until they suspend your registration and you must illegally drive you car. :)

Handled ;)

There are going to be a lot of people parking Downtown who aren’t going to know about the price increase and just blindly pop in the amount they usually would, especially since some meters are so scratched up that you can barely read the rates in the first place. What more evidence do city leaders and the general public need that Downtown was not made for cars and that alternatives should be actively encouraged?

Not only is this money not going back into Gay St, but infrastructure for alternatives is lacking. If the city was going to do this, which they shouldn’t have in any case, they should have first painted & signed all of the scooter/motorcycle parking, never mind doing it in phases. They should have also painted & signed shared roadways, not just on High leading into Downtown, but a good portion of every street that leads into it including streets within Downtown proper, but those aren’t as important as getting there first. There are already tons of downtown meters to safely park your bike for free, but most roads leading to them don’t invite many cyclists. Not having this infrastructure already in place is only going to result in very disgruntled motorists who will be less likely, if they even were in the first place, to visit Downtown.

City leaders have not at all been vocal in encouraging car-alternatives. While I love to serve as an example of how easy it is to commute Downtown by bike even in the winter (I do it almost everyday, so it’s obviously not that bad), most motorists are not going to abandon their cars like I did. Oh well, I’ll just forward my blog entry on this over to them.

Again, little Lowell, MA has a better, meter-free parking system in their downtown than one of America’s largest cities. Looks like we’ll have to give up our “21st Century City” moniker to them.

I have zero interest in riding a bike anywhere in the winter, but have fun with that. Meanwhile, back to talking about parking meters.

manticore33
    Participant

Unfortunately, since I live outside of the city, coming to Columbus requires me to use my car as my primary transportation. Given that, I have two small children and tend to need to carry diaper bags, a stroller, and etc which is not feasible on a bicycle. I dream of the days when I can ‘park and ride’ (bicycle) into downtown. Once there, my wife, kids, and I walk everywhere. However, the meter increase will cut into my time spent in the Short North (which I love for its variety).

I feel this is the case with many of the ‘burbia’ people who, like me, are closer to shopping centers and smaller downtowns that do not charge (Delaware, Westerville, Worthington, Powell, Dublin, etc..). Not exactly the ‘Welcome to Columbus’ image the city desperately needs.

adrock

if you’re parking near campus, you can use one of their meters for $1/hr and you can park in any space, faculty/student/visitor. and you can use a card.

i only live a couple miles away, but parking is definitely what keeps me from going downtown more. i’ll ride my bike down there sometimes, but unless i’m going somewhere that i typically can get decent parking nearby, like zettler hardware, i opt to go somewhere else.

i’m sure grandview heights will welcome any business owners to the grandview yard if they are being negatively impacted by the over-priced parking.

rus
    rus
    Participant

adrock wrote >>

i’m sure grandview heights will welcome any business owners to the grandview yard if they are being negatively impacted by the over-priced parking.

Well said.

cc

Yes, the parking meter increase probably comes as good news to the Grandview Yard developers.

catnfiddle
    Participant

rus wrote >>

adrock wrote >>

Well said.

That makes me depressed despite actually being a Grandview resident.

drew
    Participant

manticore33 wrote >>
    Not exactly the ‘Welcome to Columbus’ image the city desperately needs.

No kidding. ‘I visited Columbus, and all I got was this lousy orange ticket’.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: