Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 897 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Coleman’s letter says the increase on November 30 was the result of research from the department. When I asked for research on November 16, I was told the department didn’t have the resources for any study or research. I’d love to see this research since it resulted in the meter hike.

myliftkk
    Participant

Someone with sharper eyes than me just pointed out that the Mayor’s letter references “research by your department” meaning research done by the Department of Public Service. However, multiple stakeholders were told specifically by the department that “no resources were available to do research”. Hopefully if the department does indeed have research available, they will make that public for the stakeholders to inform themselves with.

thepiece
    Participant

The letter is interesting and encouraging, but in my opinion, it really reads like a carefully written pr document.
    I also didn’t see any charge to actually change anything just to be more open minded about process and to consider input.
    But it is definitely progress…

Bear
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Here’s the memo from Mayor Coleman to Mark Kelsey (PDF):
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/1211metermemo.pdf

Page 1 is PR. Page 2 is sober and constructive.

He left out “Encl: Hot potato”

So, how about having a committee for urbanism that would oversee city planning issues like these and who the Public Sevice Dept. would need to go through first before moving their plans/projects forward? It would have to be made up of city/urban planners, i.e., people who know cities, not traffic engineers and the like.

Tigertree

thepiece wrote >>
    The letter is interesting and encouraging, but in my opinion, it really reads like a carefully written pr document.
    I also didn’t see any charge to actually change anything just to be more open minded about process and to consider input.
    But it is definitely progress…

I agree. I still wanted to read the line that said “lets do the research before this is implemented.” “Reexamine” can mean too many things.

Maybe I’m too cynical but I read the letter as mostly PR and the part about meter pricing talks about reexamining the pricing strategy IF there is data to support that the prices set for existing meters is harmful to economic vibrancy in downtown Columbus. I’m not sure what data (specific to the new meter prices) would be available or even exist yet to support this notion. I read this as, the meter prices aren’t going to be put on hold or change (unless we see a big impact on ‘economic’ vibrancy down the road – i.e. after businesses already begin to close), but we can put together a group of local stakeholders to give input on hour expansion and time limits. I guess the part about hours and time limits is something.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>
    Someone with sharper eyes than me just pointed out that the Mayor’s letter references “research by your department” meaning research done by the Department of Public Service. However, multiple stakeholders were told specifically by the department that “no resources were available to do research”. Hopefully if the department does indeed have research available, they will make that public for the stakeholders to inform themselves with.

Depends on your definition of research.

Kelsey picks up phone dials…

“Hey, Debbie, I know you’re just an intern, but what do you think of jacking up the parking meter rates?”

DEBBIE: “heck, boss, I don’t know, I ride the bus into work.”

Kelsey: “Well, I’ll forgive you that, since you’re just an intern, but do you think anyone else would care?”

DEBBIE: “Gosh, I don’t care, so why would anyone else?”

Kelsey: “great, Debbie, you’ve been a HUGE help.”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Dear Short North and Downtown Business Owners:

This afternoon, in an open letter addressed to Director Mark Kelsey, Mayor Coleman spoke up for the business owners of the urban core. Mayor Coleman issued a sincere apology, stating: “the City did not involve the public as much as it should have.”

“Though we were tardy in soliciting it, the public input that we have received in recent weeks has already been valuable and has produced some very constructive and creative ideas about parking meter policy.

The mayor went on to outline a series of steps he has asked Director Kelsey to undertake with full input from “those who have shared their concerns.” These steps include:

1. Review meter pricing zones

2. Review meter operation hours

3. Review pricing… The Mayor commented: “My goal is to use our meters to help, not hurt our businesses.”

4. Review meter enforcement

On behalf of the Short North Business Association, I want to thank the Mayor for agreeing to step back and look at creative alternatives that are mutually beneficial to the city and to business owners. We are all supportive of the development of the Convention Hotel, but as has been pointed out, there are numerous ways to use parking meter revenue to achieve the goal without overtaxing our highly valued customers.

By halting the meter rate increases until such plans can be reviewed, the Mayor has shown strong support of our symbiotic relationships and has extended a genuine invitation for open collaboration.

More to come, I’m sure.

John
    John Angelo
    Executive Director
    Short North Business Association
    1126 1/2 A N. High Street
    Columbus, Ohio 43201
    614.299.8050 x13

[email protected]
    http://www.shortnorth.org

greenhouse1014
    Participant

I didn’t really see an apology in there. More of a we screwed the pooch acknowledgement.

The Mayor is halting meter rate increases? That must have been in a different letter that I haven’t seen.

drew
    Participant

spookygoddess78 wrote >>
    The Mayor is halting meter rate increases? That must have been in a different letter that I haven’t seen.

Was thinking the same thing… hope it’s true, though…

drew wrote >>

spookygoddess78 wrote >>

Was thinking the same thing… hope it’s true, though…

I do too…this is an instance where I would be really happy to be proven wrong about my hunches.

Tigertree

Maybe there were some internal conversations with John Angelo, Liz, Exp. Columbus etc. that made it more apparent that that was happening. I could see how that was implicit in the memo if it had been discussed otherwise.
    Either way I applaud the mayor for taking a stance on this.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.