Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 897 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

joev wrote >>

drew wrote >>

joev wrote >>
    How do you know Kelsey is the source/only source of the mismanagement and deceit, though?

Have you read the rest of this thread? It’s hard to think he’s not a major source of the problem. And, if he’s not, then the applied pressure may well smoke out the truth.

I always like to have evidence before I ruin someone’s life.

A fair point.

But the smart pols, at this point, have got to have a sense of which way the wind is blowing. They’ve got to know that a large and increasing number of voters had never heard of Kelsey before this fiasco, and now only know one thing about him. They’ve also got to know that, as long as he stays in his current position, anyone who takes his side will suffer guilt by association. Which leaves two options, for those who have already taken his side: change your own position, which makes you internally unreliable; or convince Kelsey to take one for the team. Which, at this point, is becoming a pretty damn good argument.

drew
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    I get that; but shouldn’t it cut both ways? Sucks that there was little/no transparency in the decision, but because the whole thing was caused by a lack of respect, more lack of respect doesn’t really fix anything. If you want to win, you have to be the better person.

Strange formulation there, Joe. If lack of transparency is the problem, then transparency is the solution. Since transparency isn’t forthcoming, well… it’s ultimatum time.

joev
    Participant

Let me rephrase that, then to make it more clear: I don’t think it’s OK to treat people unfairly even if you think they’ve treated you unfairly. Once you know you’ve been treated unfairly, then you can act with fairness to reach the proper course of action. At this point, nobody posting here knows exactly how this decision was made or by whom it was approved.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

But we do know that there was no transparency from the beginning. We asked for answers and the truth was misrepresented to us.

This is not how I conduct business and it’s not how I expect our appointed officials to conduct business either. Accountability in my local, elected government is all I am seeking. If they can’t be honest and accountable, I want a new administration.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    At this point, nobody posting here knows exactly how this decision was made or by whom it was approved.

I know that it was approved by Dir. Kelsey, because that’s his job and he’s come forth and stated that it was approved by him. Did you just get here?

drew
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    Let me rephrase that, then to make it more clear: I don’t think it’s OK to treat people unfairly even if you think they’ve treated you unfairly. Once you know you’ve been treated unfairly, then you can act with fairness to reach the proper course of action. At this point, nobody posting here knows exactly how this decision was made or by whom it was approved.

I think it’s fair to say that the course of action that has been taken by the city is unfair – no ifs, ands, or buts. Who is the point person for this objectionable action? ‘Nuff said.

I’m sure the city would heartily endorse your precious parsing of the situation, but this isn’t a Disney movie and politics ain’t kindergarten. You know darned well that the truth of the situation could be cleared up with a 10 minute email from the right person, but that hasn’t happened and there’s no reason to think it will. Meanwhile, the city continues on with its plan. IF the rate increase was suspended until this was all cleared up, there would be ample reason for patience.

That isn’t happening, though.

KSquared

joev wrote >>

drew wrote >>

joev wrote >>
    How do you know Kelsey is the source/only source of the mismanagement and deceit, though?

Have you read the rest of this thread? It’s hard to think he’s not a major source of the problem. And, if he’s not, then the applied pressure may well smoke out the truth.

I always like to have evidence before I ruin someone’s life.

And business owners wanted to have transparency and a voice in the matter before he made a unilateral decision that might ruin their livelihoods.

myliftkk
    Participant

drew wrote >>

joev wrote >>

I think it’s fair to say that the course of action that has been taken by the city is unfair – no ifs, ands, or buts. Who is the point person for this objectionable action? ‘Nuff said.
    I’m sure the city would heartily endorse your precious parsing of the situation, but this isn’t a Disney movie and politics ain’t kindergarten. You know darned well that the truth of the situation could be cleared up with a 10 minute email from the right person, but that hasn’t happened and there’s no reason to think it will. Meanwhile, the city continues on with its plan. IF the rate increase was suspended until this was all cleared up, there would be ample reason for patience.

+1

joev
    Participant

drew wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Thanks for being patronizing. That’s really helpful for everyone.

I’m going to take a break from this board. The amount of jumping to conclusions and groupthink that’s going on here is pretty staggering from people who I thought were fair and sensible.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    I’m going to take a break from this board. The amount of jumping to conclusions and groupthink that’s going on here is pretty staggering from people who I thought were fair and sensible.

Maybe you shouldn’t have jumped to the conclusion that they were fair and sensible.

DavidF
    Participant

joev wrote >>

drew wrote >>

joev wrote >>

Well I for one think that’s a shame. As someone who’s been gang tackled on this site, (and to be honest, hurled more than a few insults myself) I understand how you feel. I think you have to keep in mind that the very nature of this forum encourages us to respond in ways that we might think better of doing face to face. (and explains why Walker is so busy going thread to thread just to tell everyone to keep it civil). I try not to take it personally, and I would encourage you to do the same. I like seeing your posts.

As to the issue at hand, I understand what you are trying to say, but I don’t believe there is any ambiguity here. Kelsey is the responsible party, because he is the appointed face of parking issues in Columbus. He is the one who testified before City Council in defense of this decision. He is the one who says that relevant stakeholders were informed, despite their denials of the same. He is the one who chose not to do any research in advance before unilaterally arriving at this decision.

Whether or not he should resign is a legitimate question, but I cannot see any way one could not see him as the responsible party here. I for one would be interested in his take on this whole thing. Maybe someone on his staff told him Experience Columbus had signed off on this. Maybe he’s not in the loop on what goes on in his office. That still doesn’t abrogate his responsibility as the head of that department.

drew
    Participant

joev wrote >>

Well, for what it’s worth, I said what I said because you genuinely strike me as being either naive or disingenuous (or both?) about it all. If you truly have problems with what transpired, then I can’t imagine any reason not to look to the person who had absolute power over it for accountability.

Think about it. Your giving the people who have complete control of the situation every benefit of the doubt, and chiding those who have only their voices at their disposal to oppose what you acknowledge to be an unfair proceeding. It’s not a level playing field… not by any means.

KSquared

This isn’t about people just not liking the increase. Small business owners have taken risks to open businesses downtown. From what I understand, restaurants operate on razor thin profit margins and I don’t imagine small retail stores are drowning in profit either, especially in a bad economy. These small places are what many of us treasure about downtown and about Columbus. People are making a living owning and operating these establishments, and those people were not given the opportunity to have any input in this decision. Adding to this, it appears that the person responsible for the decision is being dishonest about how he came to the decision and refusing to delay the increase and only considering a change when there is a body count of small businesses. Some of these business owners went out of their way to support Issue 1, runnning the risk of alienating customers who disagreed with them, because they believed in a vision of a thriving downtown. This sure would feel like a slap in the face to me if I were one of those people.
    For many of us, this is an inconvenience, but for the people who are trying to make a living running these businesses, I would imagine this is far more personal.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

@joev, I hope you’ll stick around. I appreciate your posts.

When this first broke (about a month ago), Mike Brown left a lengthy post on the news page asserting that “a variety of stakeholders were part of the decision making process.” Since that post, I’ve searched far and wide for just one name or one stakeholder to come forward and say, “yes, we talked about this and I think it is a good idea.”

This past Friday and again on Monday, the department spoke of having the support of Experience Columbus.

I asked Paul yesterday about it and his frank reply: “BULLSHIT!” followed by a very emphatic denial of any conversations with the City.

This is how the City treats its stakeholders. As a stakeholder, I’m shocked and hurt by the deception.

melikecheese
    Participant

I just want to add my 2 cents and say bummer, I no like.

Thanks Columbus for giving me yet another reason to skip take out from a good place and settle for some drive-thru crap because I am a cheap skate. I might not make it out in 3 ins if there is a line! And no way I wanna waste what is now a much more valuable quarter to give myself 9 mins when I might only use 3.

Being someone who often pays to park when I plan to be somewhere for an hour or two, it would be nice to get 10 mins from the first quarter and then your stupid 3 mins for the rest.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: