Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 897 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

blammo wrote >>
    Yeah, the scooter/bicycle/motorcycle spaces/discounts help, but as winter sets in, those transportation options are really only left to the hardcore “lifestyle” two-wheel enthusiasts. Likely I’ll just wait until the meters turn off before I head downtown if I can’t take my motorcycle.

That’s why I added the qualifier about the weather. :)

If any of the businesses do consider adding incentives when Spring rolls around, let me know. The new YB! website has a section for bike friendly businesses and we would like to get to the point that businesses could use the feature to highlight weekly/daily specials.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

blammo wrote >>
    It’s worth a shot, but it’s not gonna fool the more diligent meter reader types, as they will remember whether or not they ticked your car earlier as they make their rounds.
    At any rate, it’ll probably be easier than ever now to go get that initial ticket to give it a try!

Yeah, it’s not gonna work in the SN as I think that guy knows every ticket he’s ever written in his life.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Yep, I’m definitely heading to Iron Pony to pick up chaps so I don’t freeze on Rockmastermike’s scooter. Between the relatively lower scooter parking rates AND the earlier stop time for checking their validity (5pm), we’ll be using that as much as possible all winter.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyone calling or emailing to complain about this?

Randy J. Bowman, Administrator of the Division of Mobility Options can be reached at 614.645.2464 or [email protected].

JonMyers
    Participant

I just received some great advice on how we can be the most effective.

I was told we should be contacting Councilman Andy Ginther’s office.

Requests and talking points:

– Put the increase on hold and a TRUE study on the issue.

– A public process, transparency around parking meter increases.

– Smart meters BEFORE the increase.

Though, there is no vote on this increase the money goes into a special fund that does need city council’s approval.

Andy Ginther

Phone : (614) 645-2931

His aide’s contact information:

Kenneth Paul

[email protected]

Columbus Parking Meter Telethon 2009.

Call now: (614) 645-2931 – Lines are open.

Lakee911
    Participant

Those prices are absurd!

I wonder how much change the meter can actually handle. If I want to pay with nickles, is it going to run out of space to hold the change?

Edit: I just fired off an email to the mayor.

Dear Mayor,

I understand that the City of Columbus is raising the price to park at meters downtown. I have to ask, though, how does this encourage anyone to even come downtown? Isn’t one of your goals to revitalize downtown? That won’t happen when all of the shops close up due to lack of patrons. Was the 25% increase in city tax not enough to cover whatever we are paying for with this increase?

If you would like to respond, please do so via email.

Thanks,
    Jason

dru
    Participant

who among us doesn’t routinely jump in the car without at least $3.00+ in change in their pocket?

on the upside for potential retailers, I sense a new market for the return of the coin purse/pouch.

JonMyers
    Participant

In theory they’ll fill up 50% faster? I would imagine more people will be needed to scrape up the change?

blammo
    Participant

Lakee911 wrote >>
    Those prices are absurd!
    I wonder how much change the meter can actually handle. If I want to pay with nickles, is it going to run out of space to hold the change?

on a similar note, what are the legalities of parking at a meter that has been rendered inoperable due to being completely stuffed with nickels? (this is a totally hypothetical situation, mind you)

Lakee911
    Participant

blammo wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>
    Those prices are absurd!

on a similar note, what are the legalities of parking at a meter that has been rendered inoperable due to being completely stuffed with nickels? (this is a totally hypothetical situation, mind you)

From what I’ve heard if a meter is broken, you do not get cited (or more likely you can fight it in court and win) but typically you have to demonstrate this. That would be tough–especially since they can empty it anytime.

It’s tough to get out of any meter fines. I was paid up for max time (2 hours) at a meter downtown when I was due in court (as the plantiff, thank you) at 9:30AM. At that time, the garages are full. So, previous case ran way long and my case was heard at 11:15AM and lasted 30min. I couldn’t risk leaving and not being there when my case was called to add money to the meter. So, when I returned, sure enough an orange slip was waving at me from under my wiper. I couldn’t plead not-guilty, but that wasn’t enough to get out of my ticket. That too was absurd!

Jimbo Jones

I have to pay $120/month to park downtown. So, I don’t really care whether the meter fees are increasing.

Lakee911
    Participant

Jimbo Jones wrote >>
    I have to pay $120/month to park downtown. So, I don’t really care whether the meter fees are increasing.

Well, if you had to pay $180, would you care? That’s how some of us feel…

catnfiddle
    Participant

Here’s my letter:

Mr. Paul,

Please register with Councilman Ginther my extreme disappointment with how the meter rate increase has been handled. An act of this magnitude should have been discussed and debated in a public manner before being enacted. At the very least, it should have been brought to a vote rather than decided behind closed doors.

The timing of the rate increase could not have been more problematic. Money is tight enough for the rare outing into the city without having to pay an additional five dollars for an hour at a meter. Holiday shoppers who may have considered patronizing local shops will now flee to the suburban malls where the parking is free. Those who brave the rates will, for the main part, not have the Smart Meters in place as a convenient method for paying the fees.

For the overall benefit of Columbus, this rate increase should be put on hold until it can be proven that the benefits of the additional revenue outweigh the possible detriments to the businesses affected.

Lakee911
    Participant

You’re more diplomatic than I am, Cat. ;)

Jimbo Jones

Lakee911 wrote >>

Jimbo Jones wrote >>

Well, if you had to pay $180, would you care? That’s how some of us feel…

Then I would walk to work, or I would go someplace where I don’t have to pay to park (see, Easton or Polaris).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: