Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 897 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

DavidF wrote >>
    Yay! Columbus is finally ahead of the major cities on something. Take that NYC! (Trying to find an upside to this, and believe me, it ain’t easy)

Any chance this would increase COTA ridership? Presuming that’s a good thing, of course…

Core_Models

groundrules wrote >>
    did they raise the rates those valet companies have to pay to turn the public streets private?

That’s an excellent question, and one I’d be very interested in hearing the answer to as I’ve been totally hosed by those guys more than once.

blammo
    Participant

rus wrote >>

DavidF wrote >>
    Yay! Columbus is finally ahead of the major cities on something. Take that NYC! (Trying to find an upside to this, and believe me, it ain’t easy)

Any chance this would increase COTA ridership? Presuming that’s a good thing, of course…

if the goal is to “open up” more parking downtown, I imagine this tactic will succeed.

roy
    Participant

DISPATCH EDITORIAL

Parking-meter blues
    City officials fail to consider ill effects of increase in rates
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:55 AM

The city, its taxpayers and private businesses all have invested a lot of money and effort in making Downtown a better place to live and play. Any policy changes that would affect those efforts should be considered carefully and explained thoroughly.

That doesn’t appear to have been the case with a recent decision by city Public Service Department officials to raise the cost of parking by half at every one of the city’s 4,200 or so street meters. These officials are not required to seek input or get approval from the City Council or residents to raise parking-meter rates. But that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t seek it.

Opponents of the across-the-board increase have raised solid questions about the decision, and have offered alternatives. They should be heard.

The city’s Transportation and Pedestrian Commission, an advisory panel charged with making Columbus neighborhoods livable, was taken by surprise by the announcement of the meter-rate increase at a commission meeting last month.

Commission members have asked for a public meeting to discuss the issue, but administration officials so far have declined.

Short North Business Association Executive Director John Angelo, who struggles daily with the problem of potential patrons of Short North businesses being scared off by parking difficulties, says the city could raise more parking-meter money by tinkering with meter hours and selective rate changes than with the proposed across-the-board increase.

Currently most city meters are in effect from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Angelo proposes extending meters in the Short North, which has its greatest traffic in the evening, to 9 p.m. That not only would raise more money but would help Short North merchants by forcing turnover at meters, opening up more parking possibilities for patrons.

Some people also would like to see more meters that can be paid for with credit cards. The convenience would go far to reduce potential visitors’ anxiety and aggravation over parking.

The people who live in city neighborhoods such as the Short North, Arena District, Brewery District and Downtown, along with those who own and patronize businesses there, are putting their time and money toward the goal of a more-vibrant city. Their efforts should be encouraged whenever possible.

If opponents of the parking-meter increase have ideas that could raise more money and alienate fewer parkers, the city should hear them out.

Core_Models

Ewww, gotta say the only thing worse than across the board meter increases for me would be extending the SN meters to 9:00. I like going for a drink or a meal and not worrying if I put enough change in the meter to stay for another half hour! I get the idea of traffic turnover, but that just seems like a bad idea.

Tenzo
    Participant

Just in time for the Holiday buying season
    What perfect timing!

Easton and Polaris still free, huh?
    Granted I live in German Village so that the Short North is closer.
    But factoring in the time to plug and replug meters….
    I’m going to have to make a real effort to go to the Short North.

Now I see why you guys like malls so much.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    I will also be returning to my habit of putting an old ticket on my windshield whenever I park downtown.

Has this really worked for you?

Core_Models

Porky wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>
    I will also be returning to my habit of putting an old ticket on my windshield whenever I park downtown.

Absolutely. Haven’t done it in a while, because I lost my old ticket I used, but I’ve parked for hours with an orange side up old ticket on the windshield and never gotten a new one.

Cookie

Porky wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

I just put a note on my windshield that says “Fuck you, Johnny Law.”

Core_Models

Cookie wrote >>

Porky wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

I just put a note on my windshield that says “Fuck you, Johnny Law.”

Seems kind of forward.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

Porky wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

Absolutely. Haven’t done it in a while, because I lost my old ticket I used, but I’ve parked for hours with an orange side up old ticket on the windshield and never gotten a new one.

That’s AWESOME!!!

blammo
    Participant

It’s worth a shot, but it’s not gonna fool the more diligent meter reader types, as they will remember whether or not they ticked your car earlier as they make their rounds.

At any rate, it’ll probably be easier than ever now to go get that initial ticket to give it a try!

$5.00 to park in downtown Columbus for a cheap 1 hour lunch (or early happy hour) at brioso, tip top or dirty franks? boy, this will really help to revitalize a struggling downtown. sort of defeats the point of going to such establishments during meter hours, for me at least. A $5 lunch is now a $10 lunch…..$1 happy hour beer is now a $6 happy hour beer. Bummer for the local eateries since I doubt I’m the only penny pincher in town. And extending SN hours until 9pm? Well, I guess I saw that one coming but at least there’s a lot more going on in Short North compared to downtown.

JonMyers
    Participant

Pick up the phone and ask for Mark Kelsey and tell em how you feel.

I just did.

Mark Kelsey Director of the Columbus Public Service Department – 614.645.8290

blammo
    Participant

Yeah, the scooter/bicycle/motorcycle spaces/discounts help, but as winter sets in, those transportation options are really only left to the hardcore “lifestyle” two-wheel enthusiasts. Likely I’ll just wait until the meters turn off before I head downtown if I can’t take my motorcycle.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE