Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 897 total)
  • Author

Tigertree

@somertimeoh, perhaps no to the side streets then, but we could double the meters by just adding High St. and they absolutely need to run later.
    And the side street meters I am proposing would be like the ones on Hubbard, just two or three spaces in and they are permit only after a certain time.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, parking meters are for commercial/public areas, not for residential streets. Wouldn’t make any sense to install them on the side streets in the Short North.

Tigertree

@Walker, I am arguing that small sections of the side streets could be (and any without permit requirements currently are) supporting the commercial areas. But I am primarily arguing for more meters on High St. and a larger window of time that they are functional.

dirtgirl
    Participant

The Hegemo wrote >>
    I usually park on Goodale, next to the park, for Blue Jackets games. I usually get there before the meters go off at 6PM

No offense to you at all (you’re smart!), but this is a good example of why they should extend the short north meters past 6pm. I try to go to dinner at 7pm and all the spaces are full with nobody leaving anytime soon. Expiring meters every 2 hours until 9 pm would at least guarantee some turnover.

lizless wrote >>
    Council will be voting on whether or not to set up a fund for the parking meter revenue on Monday, December 7. Let our Council members know how you think the increased meter rates will affect your spending downtown.
    I wrote all members of Council but only heard back from Andy Ginther’s office, Ken Paul. His email is [email protected]

That’s nice you heard back. I wrote a note to Ginther’s office last week and never received any response or acknowledgement. Very disappointing.

Tenzo
    Participant

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

spookygoddess78 wrote >>
    That’s nice you heard back. I wrote a note to Ginther’s office last week and never received any response or acknowledgement. Very disappointing.

I sent in a letter of concern yesterday to the mayor’s office, all councilmembers, and the city’s public service dept.

Got an email from Mentel’s Legislative Analyst and a phone call from John Ivanic. He said that they’re getting a lot of emails about this, and they’re trying to get around to responding to all of them, but they probably won’t be able to, and wanted to let me know that they are receiving and reading all of them.

Long story short, it sound like Council isn’t able to reverse the administrative decision made by the Public Service Department to raise the meters, but they do want to put an oversight committee in place to oversee how the funds are spent, push for quicker implementation of smart meters, and field concerns from various stakeholders and customers. Which is a response I’m not really too thrilled about, but I’m honestly not sure if there’s anything else that can be done after the fact. Hopefully whoever serves on this oversight committee will take them to task on lowering the meter rates back down if it’s proven to be detrimental.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I sense a stirring in the Force as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced!

Tenzo wrote >>

Tenzo
    Participant

do want to put an oversight committee in place to oversee how the funds are spent

Yeah and bring together a ‘blue ribbon panel’ and have ‘Tiger Team’ break out sessions and…..

Great, more moeny spent…

Tigertree

My response was similar to Walkers. Basically I was told they are considering considering a time extension and will consider revising the rates once they see how damaging it is to businesses. It is utterly irresponsible to not discuss alternatives when you are admitting there is a chance businesses are going to be hurt by this.

dru
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    My response was similar to Walkers. Basically I was told they are considering considering a time extension and will consider revising the rates once they see how damaging it is to businesses. It is utterly irresponsible to not discuss alternatives when you are admitting there is a chance businesses are going to be hurt by this.

on the + side it may only cost us $.25 per hour to park and stare at some empty store fronts.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tenzo wrote >>
    Great, more moeny spent…

this would be an external group, so no money would need to be spent. We’ll probably have a list of names by early next week. Will probably be a small group of business and civic leaders in the metered areas.

I’m more worried about it being an empty gesture. A committee with no real authority won’t accomplish anything.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>

And I wonder how they will determine whether or not businesses are being damaged. Do we send in our sales reports? Seriously, how on earth can they determine this? Keep in mind this is the same office that told me with a straight face that they have no reports of rude or aggressive ticketing in the Short North.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>
    Great, more moeny spent…

this would be an external group, so no money would need to be spent. We’ll probably have a list of names by early next week. Will probably be a small group of business and civic leaders in the metered areas.
    I’m more worried about it being an empty gesture. A committee with no real authority won’t accomplish anything.

This group already exists. It’s called the Transportation and Pedestrian Commission. They were the first to be presented with the meter rate increase at their last meeting. They asked to have input and they were told this was a done deal, a unilateral decision from Director Kelsey that required no input.

I’ve never heard of any sort of increase that impacts such a large part of our community that didn’t require a vote from City Council.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I got a call today from the Dispatch that an LTE I submitted on the topic was being confirmed. Not sure if it will make it into print or not, or which day (tomorrow?) but yeah… should see it soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: