Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus’ parking meter rates now higher than NYC and Boston!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 897 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

The new meter rates go into effect today. No input from small business was factored into the decision and we are worried. In fact the meter rate increase was a unilateral decision brought to us from our Public Services Department. No studies or research has been conducted to best raise the rates though some great ideas have been brought forth (and thus far ignored). This is an across the board rate increase, little thought, research or planning went into the decision and how it affects stakeholders. It’s too bad many of the small businesses won’t survive to 2012 to see the promised new smart meter heads or enjoy the increased business from the new hotel.

The meters next to Cafe Brioso on Gay Street will now cost a quarter for three minutes, better get your coffee quick. At Tip Top and Due Amici, your quarter will earn you five minutes. In the Short North, a quarter will get you ten minutes.

Our rates are significantly higher than both NYC and Boston. In Boston, a quarter gains you 15 minutes. In NYC, your quarter gets you 20 minutes.

What’s up, City of Columbus?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

What a blow. You guys are having a tough month. Hopefully the city comes to its senses.

honavery

Unbelievable.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m still waiting for Mike Brown to answer all of my unanswered questions:

Parking Meter Rate Increase to Take Effect Nov 30th

:P

joev
    Participant

Tip Top might do well to promote parking under the Statehouse – it’s $1-2 an hour, depending on the time of day.
    I’ll have to come out to support you soon!

catnfiddle
    Participant

Did the rates for motorcycle / scooter stickers also increase? If not, this is a major incentive to get something a little more fuel efficient and park with more ease (despite the knee freeze).

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

catnfiddle wrote >>
    Did the rates for motorcycle / scooter stickers also increase? If not, this is a major incentive to get something a little more fuel efficient and park with more ease (despite the knee freeze).

Two wheels, of any kind and depending on the weather, may help. Maybe we can work to convince businesses to expand discounts and promotions for pedestrians/cyclists/motorcyclists.

JonMyers
    Participant

Feels like hell in a hand basket around here lately.

drew
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    The meters next to Cafe Brioso on Gay Street will now cost a quarter for three minutes, better get your coffee quick. At Tip Top and Due Amici, your quarter will earn you five minutes. In the Short North, a quarter will get you ten minutes.

Completely absurd!

Edit – I’m so stunned, I couldn’t come up with much else to say! The rate increase struck me as a Big Bad Idea before now, but this is the first time I understood the actual amount of the rate increases. Unbelievable. This makes downtown just insanely inhospitable to visitors. Big, big, mistake.

Core_Models

Looks like I’ll be adding to my already impressive collection of unpaid parking tickets. I will also be returning to my habit of putting an old ticket on my windshield whenever I park downtown.

Cookie

Core_Models wrote >>
    Looks like I’ll be adding to my already impressive collection of unpaid parking tickets. I will also be returning to my habit of putting an old ticket on my windshield whenever I park downtown.

Classy.

Core_Models

Yep, paying parking tickets and class have so much in common…this isn’t child support I’m not paying, its parking tickets.

CFABaller

I find myself agreeing with you a lot Core. Some of these people take themselves way too seriously on here. I personally don’t like to pay any tickets. Then I get my license suspended for not paying them, and when I get pulled over I have no license and a warrant out for unpaid tickets. Then my car gets impounded, and I have to post a $250 dollar bond to get out of jail. I mean hey, its the principle right?

DavidF
    Participant

Yay! Columbus is finally ahead of the major cities on something. Take that NYC! (Trying to find an upside to this, and believe me, it ain’t easy)

groundrules
    Participant

did they raise the rates those valet companies have to pay to turn the public streets private?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 897 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE