Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus once again in the New York Times

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus once again in the New York Times

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 227 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

Some of our northern friends are making some suggestions:

suggestions for columbus slogans

ETA: Or, we could just ask the random slogan generator

MikeReed
    Participant

The word ‘retard’ might be out of line here- I think there might be some folks in this story who are of average intelligence on your more common scales.

But average is right at home in Columbus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

myliftkk wrote >>
    ETA: Or, we could just ask the random slogan generator

That is awesome!

“If you’ve got the time, we’ve got the Columbus!”

“Break me off a piece of that Columbus!”

“8 out of 10 Owners Who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Columbus!”

“America’s Most Trusted Columbus!”

rus
    rus
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>

Pure win right there… ;-)

It’s time CMH hired Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Columbus. A scene from Traffic was filmed here. Bitch.

Ben
    Participant

JonMyers wrote >>

Core_Models

You know, the one thing that article hit on that struck a chord with me was “Diversity”. The whole thing about having one of the largest County Fairs…and one of the largest Pride Parades…does create an interesting picture (kind of like Iowa being a legalized gay marriage state). The thing is, there is still some appeal in being a “cow town” to some, so maybe embracing the small town image as one side of the mirror to the booming metropolis on the other is the real idea here. Jocks and nerds…one of the most successful and popular college football programs in the country bordering one of the largest independent research centers in the world.

Granted, this would probably all get watered back down to a “something for everyone” message, which isn’t my intention.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Columbus – We can spell it!

Talcott

Core_Models wrote >>
    You know, the one thing that article hit on that struck a chord with me was “Diversity”. The whole thing about having one of the largest County Fairs…and one of the largest Pride Parades…does create an interesting picture (kind of like Iowa being a legalized gay marriage state). The thing is, there is still some appeal in being a “cow town” to some, so maybe embracing the small town image as one side of the mirror to the booming metropolis on the other is the real idea here. Jocks and nerds…one of the most successful and popular college football programs in the country bordering one of the largest independent research centers in the world.
    Granted, this would probably all get watered back down to a “something for everyone” message, which isn’t my intention.

+1

The balance of extremes is what I love about Columbus, and also what makes it so hard to market. On paper (or through committee) the extremes get added and divided into “average” but we aren’t average. Average would be having a mid-level fair and an okay pride parade, having great things at both (supposed) extremes is a very different thing.

I’m not sure how (or if) that can be boiled down to a single slogan though, and I think that’s fine. I didn’t even know that Austin had a slogan until reading these branding threads, but I was definitely aware of Austin’s image. I’d love to see a (well-done) organized push, but I think the best way to spread the word about Columbus’ diversity is to spread the word about individual things here, and lead people to realize they they’re all in the same city.

The good news is that already seems to be happening. Slowly, but I think Columbus has a higher and more positive national profile than it did ten years ago. What Columbus needs more than a marketing team is a publicist to send whatever the city equivalent of sampler CDs are to people and media outlets outside of Columbus.

And, in the end, I think that we are that publicity team.

FADulous

Talcott wrote >>

I’m not sure how (or if) that can be boiled down to a single slogan though, and I think that’s fine.

How about
    “Columbus: Undefined”

I agree that one of the best attributes of Columbus is a consistent inability to define itself in the way slogans need to do it. The city is a lot of things to a lot of people, but there is always room for cultural growth, fresh ideas, entrepreneurship.

But I admit, “Break me off a piece of that Columbus” has a real ring to it.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

Columbus: Undefined – absolutely works

As for hiring Cooper, et al, forget that – the collective power of CU can brand this city. Just divide up the consulting fee and share it with the idea generators on this thread.

Columbus: Ice Cream Capital of the World

Columbus: Taco Truck Capital of the Midwest

Columbus: Past home of Jon Myers

drew
    Participant

Talcott wrote >>

JonMyers wrote >>

Aside from the fonts, that actually looks a lot better than the real one ;-)

Hell, including the fonts it still looks better.

ja

I think part of the identity problem is that Columbus is largely a transient city – a place holder for many people. They tend to identify with other cities from which they come and have less incentive to buy into Columbus. It would be interesting to know what percentage of CU posters are actually from Columbus?

JonMyers
    Participant

Columbus has an identity, a good one, which many of you all have articulated well.

The problem is the organizations that represent the voice of Columbus in these kinds of articles have no identity, nor do most of the individuals quoted.

The photo in the article kills me. Dull.

Columbus needs better representation and a message, not an identity.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 227 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE