Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus once again in the New York Times

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus once again in the New York Times

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 227 total)
  • Author

drew
    Participant

thecandlelab wrote >>
    There seem to be a lot of shots being taken at Experience Columbus up here. At the end of the day, they are the Convention and Visitors Bureau for Columbus, and are charged with bringing conventions, meetings, and tour groups into town to fill hotel nights.

I dunno… their website[/url] doesn’t look like a website dedicated to just snagging conventions and I can guarantee you it’s being seen by far more people than just convention organizers. Remember – Convention and Visitors Bureau.

thecandlelab
    Participant

True – both its the travel and tourism industry, so there is a strong focus on the things you would expect – our zoo, library and science center have all been ranked #1 in the country. That brings bus tours and visitors here, which is their job.

If they aren’t presenting the indie arts capital of the world stuff, its because it doesn’t bring bus tours. That’s up to the rest of us to find ways to promote.

I’m not saying we couldn’t do a better job of telling our story, but I don’t think banging on Experience Columbus is the answer.

drew
    Participant

Experience Columbus certainly isn’t the only problem, but it doesn’t necessarily follow that they’re therefore not a problem at all.

Seattle’s Convention and Visitors Bureau[/url]

Portland’s Convention and Visitors Bureau[/url]

Minneapolis’s Convention and Visitors Bureau[/url]

Cleveland’s Convention and Visitors Bureau[/url]

Columbus’s Convention and Visitors Bureau[/url]

Which website looks like the cast of Sesame Street might pop up on the screen? It isn’t even close. This isn’t about whether or not it includes ‘indie art capitol’ or anything like that, its’ about whether or not we look like we present ourselves based upon focus tests on 6 year old children.

JonMyers
    Participant

I wonder who copied who here? :)

I do like Portland’s website out of all them.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Meanwhile, my NYC family keeps bewailing that there aren’t enough Jeni’s outlets close to their apartments. They envy my walkability to immediate Salty Caramel satisfaction.

MikeReed
    Participant

People in NYC… they live there? And they are complaining about a lack of ease getting Jeni’s?

Maybe I am misunderstanding. There are tons of unparalleled food spots in NYC… one of the greatest cities on Earth. I must be misunderstanding you.

They can’t get Jeni’s ice cream easily in NYC and they are upset? Is that what you are saying?

catnfiddle
    Participant

MikeReed wrote >>
    People in NYC… they live there? And they are complaining about a lack of ease getting Jeni’s?
    Maybe I am misunderstanding. There are tons of unparalleled food spots in NYC… one of the greatest cities on Earth. I must be misunderstanding you.
    They can’t get Jeni’s ice cream easily in NYC and they are upset? Is that what you are saying?

I even gave them a map of where to find pints of Jeni’s but there were apparently none in that part of Manhattan. It would probably melt by the time they got it home. You read it correctly.

HeySquare
    Participant

drew wrote >>
    Experience Columbus certainly isn’t the only problem, but it doesn’t necessarily follow that they’re therefore not a problem at all.
    Which website looks like the cast of Sesame Street might pop up on the screen? It isn’t even close. This isn’t about whether or not it includes ‘indie art capitol’ or anything like that, its’ about whether or not we look like we present ourselves based upon focus tests on 6 year old children.

OK, well… maybe this says something about me, but I really don’t think out of those websites that the Columbus website is out of line. It is the most colorful… but is that really *that* bad? Does it have to dress all in black and have tats in order to be cool?

I certainly think that it is INFINITELY preferable to the “metronatural” tag line used on Seattle’s website. *gah* I thought Columbus’s website was the most memorable at first glance… except maybe for the big medieval knight pictured on Cleveland’s website. Cause when I think Cleveland, I think… jousting? WTF? Personally I did like Portland’s website, but that’s because it had a band playing on the front page, and I like that sort of thing. Not sure my parents or other family members would be as enthusiastic.

berdawn

HeySquare wrote >>

drew wrote >>

OK, well… maybe this says something about me, but I really don’t think out of those websites that the Columbus website is out of line. It is the most colorful… but is that really *that* bad? Does it have to dress all in black and have tats in order to be cool?
    I certainly think that it is INFINITELY preferable to the “metronatural” tag line used on Seattle’s website. *gah* I thought Columbus’s website was the most memorable at first glance… except maybe for the big medieval knight pictured on Cleveland’s website. Cause when I think Cleveland, I think… jousting? WTF? Personally I did like Portland’s website, but that’s because it had a band playing on the front page, and I like that sort of thing. Not sure my parents or other family members would be as enthusiastic.

The cleveland museum has a giant collection of medieval armor. perhaps they are highlighting it in the renovation.

Tenzo
    Participant

catnfiddle wrote >>

MikeReed wrote >>

I even gave them a map of where to find pints of Jeni’s but there were apparently none in that part of Manhattan. It would probably melt by the time they got it home. You read it correctly.

Dean and Deluca’s stores carry it in Manhattan

HeySquare
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>
    The cleveland museum has a giant collection of medieval armor. perhaps they are highlighting it in the renovation.

You’re right. It is at the museum. Now that you said that, I think I have seen the armor they have pictured… it was in one of the picture galleries actually.

It makes more sense now… I’m still not convinced that specific picture is effective though… it really looks like someone escaped from Medieval Times.

joev
    Participant

I think a whole lot of people here suffer from thinking that THEY are the target market for every product or service.

drew
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    I think a whole lot of people here suffer from thinking that THEY are the target market for every product or service.

Certainly there’s that risk when talking about such things, but I’d say I’m guilty of that only to the extent that I’m an adult… and the EC website, to the last pixel, visually implies that there’s nothing for me (as an adult) here.

I can’t see how that isn’t a problem.

joev
    Participant

Most smart marketers design a web site to speak to their core target markets – From this one, I’d guess EC’s target is families with kids in the household. I’ll bet that’s not an arbitrary choice.

Most smart marketers also know that an official destination marketing organization web site isn’t the place most affluent, young professionals are going to look for travel information. Which may be why EC is trying to reach that audience through social media rather than its web site.

drew
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    Most smart marketers design a web site to speak to their core target markets – From this one, I’d guess EC’s target is families with kids in the household. I’ll bet that’s not an arbitrary choice.
    Most smart marketers also know that an official destination marketing organization web site isn’t the place most affluent, young professionals are going to look for travel information. Which may be why EC is trying to reach that audience through social media rather than its web site.

I’m not buying that at all. Most smart marketers know that even kids are increasingly discerning in their consumption of marketing messages (they’re inundated with so many of them, they have little choice but to be), and they know that adults with kids still like to think of themselves as adults. Hell, how many convention-goers bring their whole family with them anyhow?!

And, people without children do still use google. I’ve researched other places to visit, and while the official travel bureau website is far from my end-all-be-all source of info, it’s rare that I don’t at least see it. I doubt I’m alone in that!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 227 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE