Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus, OH: The new Midwest

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus, OH: The new Midwest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbus, OH: The new Midwest
    Ryan Kasley May 28, 2015

When I was first asked to attend an LGBT media trip in Columbus, OH, I was skeptical that it would be worth my while. When I thought of places to get away from Philadelphia for a long weekend, the Midwest didn’t exactly jump to mind. In fact, I wasn’t even sure where Columbus was, let alone what there was to do there. Did gay people even live there?

READ MORE: http://www.epgn.com/special-editions/150-summer-guide-2015/8898-columbus-oh-the-new-midwest

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Damn, that dude went on a whirlwind tour of Columbus. Awesome itinerary.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

The five closest to downtown, which included Seventh Son, are known as “Brewer’s Row.”

since when?

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

The five closest to downtown, which included Seventh Son, are known as “Brewer’s Row.”

since when?

Not sure, but I like the ring to it.

paul.szuter
    paul.szuter
    Participant

I love that people are learning that Columbus exists, but I am growing tired of the holier-than-thou attitude most people have towards our city, state, and region. Some people brashly disregard Ohio and most of the Midwest as fly-over territory, regardless of the fact that the majority of them have not even been to the area. I used to catch flak even from Chicagoans for being from Ohio. I can’t Side Eye Chloe hard enough at this. The vast majority of articles written about Columbus begin with the sentiment of being ‘forced’ or ‘hesitant’ to go to Columbus, then discovering that it doesn’t live up to the negative stereotypes. How can Middle America be “cool”? Personally, as I am happy for these people who enjoy their visits to Columbus, I couldn’t care less about whether or not they approve of our city. “Do gay people even live there?” Really? REALLY? I know this is meant to be hyperbolic, but really? I feel though, this is especially the attitude of gays that come here. I admit that as a gay man, I may be more willing to be critical of this article, and this is my personal opinion, not that of everyone in Columbus. The one point in the article with which I can commiserate is the critique of the lack of a pinnacle symbol/monument which defines Columbus and gives it national recognition. Luckily we have all of the hard earned accolades already. Le sigh. Sorry if this sounded pretentious/incohesive… :/

paul.szuter
    paul.szuter
    Participant

Added for good measure.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

drew
    Participant

I mostly just get a chuckle out of it – newcomers expect Columbus to be hopelessly passé, and locals find the newcomer’s preconceptions to be hopelessly passé.

DouginCMH
    Participant

I’m not a gay male, but also found it ridiculous that Columbus’ national reputation as a gay-friendly city wouldn’t be known by someone writing for a gay publication. For some years now Columbus has earned very high scores in national rankings of gay-friendly cities and of places where a lot of gay people live. Columbus is only below the radar if you never bother looking at the radar. Weird.

Jesse Bethea
    Jesse Bethea
    Participant

This is nice and all, but articles like this one and the Mother Jones one are starting to sound cliched. The format of “I was going to Columbus -> Columbus is in Ohio -> I associate Ohio with corn -> Columbus must be boring -> Turns out I was wrong!” is only sustainable for so long. I hope national journalists keep writing about Columbus, I just also hope they stop being so lazy about it.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

Quid pro quo journalism at its finest.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Isn’t all travel writing expenses-paid? The guy said in the very first sentence that he was on a media trip.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I’d assume travel writing is paid by the writer’s employer…not clear as to how this played out, unless I missed something.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Aaron Marshall wrote:</div>

Isn’t all travel writing expenses-paid? The guy said in the very first sentence that he was on a media trip.

Steve Stephens doesn’t get anything for his Dispatch travel stories.
    If you have any ethics, you disclose all your financial relationships upfront. This sure reads like it was paid for.

Anonymous
    Inactive

since when?

http://www.cbusaletrail.com/brewers-row/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’d assume travel writing is paid by the writer’s employer…not clear as to how this played out, unless I missed something.

It was a media tour hosted by Experience Columbus. I don’t know the full details of this particular event, but when we’ve gotten requests to visit other cities by their visitors’ bureau, it’s generally an all/most expenses-paid offer. And the couple of times we’ve taken up these offers and sent someone, we disclose it in the article. Example (disclosure is at the bottom of the article):

https://www.columbusunderground.com/travel-5-must-dos-in-myrtle-beach

Steve Stephens doesn’t get anything for his Dispatch travel stories.

That will likely change under the new ownership.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: