Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Needs a New City Flag

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Needs a New City Flag

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • Author

johnwirtz
    Participant

The Urbanophile recently noted how great Indianapolis’ city flag is.

500px-Flag_of_Indianapolis.svg.png

I have to agree that it’s a pretty nice looking flag. So I Googled something about flag design to see what makes a great flag. The website for the North American Vexillological Association (NAVA) came up. The have a guide about “good flags” versus “bad flags,” which recommends against the use of lettering, seals, and other complicated symbols on a flag. Therefore, I decided that Columbus needs a new city flag.

Old Flag

538px-ColumbusOHFlag.svg.png

New Flag

My design maintains the same three principal colors for the flag. I’m not sure, but I might guess that colors chosen relate to Spain, the country that commissioned Christopher Columbus’ journey. The vertical lines on my flag represent the general orientation of High Street, while the horizontal line is Broad Street. Clean, simple, recognizable, meaningful.

What do you think?

J.R. Locke

How about we just retire city flags?

artbomb112
    Participant

I agree the flag could use a little sprucing up. How about we all take a stab at it? I’ll make one up and post it soon. Whether comical or serious… I’m sure this could get interesting.

Or maybe there are only a few of us that are flag nerds out there.

I love this stuff.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Have spent nearly three decades in Columbus, had no idea there was a city flag.

Tenzo
    Participant

johnwirtz wrote >>
    The Urbanophile recently noted[/url]
    What do you think?

How about this?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

johnwirtz wrote >>
    What do you think?

Definitely an improvement!

alove
    alove
    Participant

You have a point, but I love our flag as is!
    It’s classic.

Columbusite

I like.

groundrules
    Participant

arenn
    Participant

The city I think has a great city flag and has leveraged it to huge effect is Chicago:

That’s not the greatest picture of it, but it has been adopted into everything from the police car livery to interstate highway railings.

The Columbus flag isn’t that bad, apart from the seal. If you dropped that, you could adjust the bar widths to go with a classic tricolor design.

The color scheme is a bit strange to me. I think the city flag of Columbus ought to include colors that call to mind the city, which those do not, and above all the colors that do that are those of Ohio State.

Of course, most flag designs include a lot of symbology that isn’t a straight local adoption. As with the Columbus flag, New York city’s is the flag of the Netherlands that was in use at the time NYC was founded. It also has a seal on it. You also never see it..

johnwirtz
    Participant

^Agreed that the Chicago flag is great.

As an OSU alum, I also agree with your color choice suggestion. How’s this:

…or this to put the scarlet in the honor position (upper left):

I was trying to maintain some consistency to avoid violent reaction to drastic change. But if we’re changing, I guess we might as well go all out.

alove
    alove
    Participant

arenn wrote >>
    The Columbus flag isn’t that bad, apart from the seal. If you dropped that, you could adjust the bar widths to go with a classic tricolor design.
    The color scheme is a bit strange to me. I think the city flag of Columbus ought to include colors that call to mind the city, which those do not, and above all the colors that do that are those of Ohio State.

Perhaps a tri-colored flag consisting of the seal’s light blue, yellow and that pretty orange-red. (Kind of) the three primaries! Indie art capital, yes?

arenn
    Participant

That color scheme I like better. The odd crossing angles of the streets might violate some rules about flags. I’m not sure, you’d have to research the rules about that. I’d probably be inclined to go with a cardinal N-S bar for High St.

groundrules
    Participant

the last thing this place needs is any more scarlet and gray. there’s just a touch more to this city than ohio state.

johnwirtz
    Participant

arenn wrote >>
    That color scheme I like better. The odd crossing angles of the streets might violate some rules about flags. I’m not sure, you’d have to research the rules about that. I’d probably be inclined to go with a cardinal N-S bar for High St.

I disagree. I think the unusual angle of High and Broad (due to the Scioto river) makes the flag unique and recognizably Columbus (at least to me). I’ve seen much crazier angles and curves on other flags. The following were highly rated by NAVA:

Denver

St. Louis

Wichita

groundrules wrote >>
    the last thing this place needs is any more scarlet and gray. there’s just a touch more to this city than ohio state.

That was the reaction I was trying to avoid. I understand this view. The ubiquity of OSU in Columbus can be overwhelming for non-grads or fans. However, if you’re talking about creating a brand identity for Columbus – as arenn often does- I don’t think you can separate Columbus from OSU. It’s our most known, recognized, and meaningful asset. Columbus and Ohio State are completely co-dependent. Frankly, Columbus wouldn’t be what it is today if it weren’t for the OSU cranking out grads and creating a talent dividend over a period of decades.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: