Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Named a Top 10 Emerging Beer Town

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Named a Top 10 Emerging Beer Town

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

America’s Top Ten Emerging Beer Towns
    Posted on July 20, 2014 | By The Pour Fool

Columbus, Ohio, you ask? How can that be? Well, for starters, local stalwart Columbus Brewing, the resurrection of a brewery originally founded in 1830(!), has been delivering rock-solid beers since they emerged in 1988, led by the Gold Standard of Ohio Double/Imperial IPA, “Bodhi”, a pungent, crisp, palate-coating stunner that made me a tad weak in the knees…

READ MORE: http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepourfool/2014/07/20/2497/

DouginCMH
    Participant

Saw that this morning. While I cringe at the “surely not Columbus, Ohio” intro, it’s not a bad overall listing. The list of Columbus breweries isn’t exhaustive but, then again, I assume that’s the case for the other cities, as well. The author did some research.

If we somehow land that Stone complex, something tells me we might not have to put up with lines like “Columbus, Ohio, you ask? How can that be?”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Saw that this morning. While I cringe at the “surely not Columbus, Ohio” intro, it’s not a bad overall listing.

That intro was a little bit silly, but not entirely unexpected. Lots of people have no idea that Columbus has anything to offer, but always seem to be pleasantly surprised when it does.

chaking
    Participant

How does Columbus get that silly intro but Austin, Madison, Albuquerque, Portland (Maine) and Tampa not? I would get it if the cities in the list were something like San Francisco, NY, Chicago etc… But not the list that was there. It’s like they take pride in their ignorance.

The Pour Fool
    Participant

Guys: I decided to check in with Columbus when this came out because it is, by far, the least-known quantity of the cities on the list. I know that the intro seemed, to you guys, a little insulting. Nobody enjoys hearing that a lot of people outside their area are generally clueless about their hometown. But that’s the fact about Columbus when you’re not in Ohio or your part of the Midwest. That’s one thing that made including Columbus on the list a must-do for me. My goal was to introduce people who include breweries in their travel plans to think outside the Portland/Seattle/San Diego/Denver box a bit. If I were coming to Ohio soon, I would probably plan on Columbus FIRST and catch Cleveland as I can. There is no one single brewery in C-town that has a big national profile – and I LOVE that sort of place. It’s ALL the one thing that delights me most: Discovery. Sorry if that opening rubbed anyone the wrong way but I want people, especially out West – where I have taken a TON of crap for naming NO breweries on the Coast – to think “Columbus” and the opening is EXACTLY what they’ll think.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks for the explanation! I think this says it all:

There is no one single brewery in C-town that has a big national profile – and I LOVE that sort of place. It’s ALL the one thing that delights me most: Discovery.

drew
    Participant

Having lived on the west coast, I can entirely understand where he’s coming from – people on the west coast generally have very little awareness of anything east of the Rockies, with the exception of some of the big old established cities of the east coast. And Chicago. Sometimes.

Anyhow, we’re getting due credit for the quality of what’s going on here… and it is spectacular. I was impressed that the author honed in on Zaftig, since they’re one of the new kids on the block, but he’s dead on with his assessment – I sampled some of their beers this weekend at their brewery, and they are fantastic.

DouginCMH
    Participant

On this theme, saw this today in Columbus Business First:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/07/15/columbus-drinkers-spend-more-on-craft-beer-than.html

Here’s the larger report:

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/tapped-in-craft-and-local-are-powerful-trends-in-the-beer-aisle.html

Almost 26 cents out of every dollar spent on beer here goes to craft brew. Good for 9th best in the country, with Cleveland over 29 cents. And one of the fastest growing cities in the country – along with Cleveland and Cincinnati – as well. Bodes well for the explosion of new breweries we’ve seen in the past few years.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: