Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Museum of Art

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Columbus Museum of Art

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author

I have to give major kudos to the CMA. Haven’t been in a long time, but took Alec yesterday to see the Egypt exhibit. That was nice, but I was really impressed with two other things.

There are two rooms devoted to artists with Columbus connections. One is for Elijah Pierce, a barbershop owner, folk artists, religious raconteur. The other is for George Bellows. Both are stellar examples of creative curating. While somewhat bent toward kids for activities, it is refreshing to see art presented in a format other than the sterile canvas on walls in boring room. Especially for Pierce, the context is essential to the experience which would otherwise come across as condescending and cute as it usually does when naive/folk/outsider art is present in a gallery setting.

I also commend the CMA for having something I’ve gone on about for years – cellphone # guides. I think the next step would be a bluetooth’ed app with hyperlinks, but I am not complaining. Or a .mobi site – does any museum have that?

There is also a remarkable fashion (small)exhibit that I recommend.

I went in with a bad mood and annoyed due to the parking lot being closed off for the Arts Festival, but the whole CMA experience (incl some very nice staff) turned that around.

Big kudos to the CMA – they get it.

A.

Couple friends are docents, and I probably go 3 times a year, and am ALWAYS impressed. The food is actually pretty damn good at the Palette Cafe too!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I know that bigger isn’t always better, but I’m very excited that the CMA is in the process of doubling in size too. :D

http://media.www.thelantern.com/media/storage/paper333/news/2009/06/05/Arts/Art-Museum.To.Double.Its.Size.By.Year.2012-3746402.shtml

Museum of Art to launch $80 million expansion

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I am hoping to get over there this weekend for the egypt exhibit!

sjf

The Egypt exhibit is very well done, though I was equally impressed with the entire complex.

Coreroc

These reviews make me want to go check out the CMA again. Last time I went was for the Monet exhibit.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    Couple friends are docents, and I probably go 3 times a year, and am ALWAYS impressed. The food is actually pretty damn good at the Palette Cafe too!

I hear the cafe is closing up shop this fall. I think this was in the dispatch as well.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>

I hear the cafe is closing up shop this fall. I think this was in the dispatch as well.

Dammit.

Also, does anyone know when the Charles Burchfield exhibit is rolling in? I had heard something about it, somewhere, but now can’t find anything about it. Burchfield is one of my Ohio heroes…

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Hmmm, looks like they are having a Burchfield lecture/reception there on July 26. Can’t wait.

The exhibit is about the “Architecture of Painting”, which probably means they won’t be showing his nature paintings that look like this:

…but might instead be showing his more industrially-inspired works, maybe like this:

…which seems an odd choice, but then again the museum had a huge exhibit of his in maybe 1996, I believe?

But wow, had not heard about the possible expansion. Amazing. I am wondering if that means that Beaton Hall, that red-headed stepchild of a CCAD building, is going to be torn down. According to a recent map, it’s not even part of CCAD anymore.

I had heard that this building was the first CCAD building, back when CCAD was still an offshoot of the museum? Don’t know if that’s true, but I do love Beaton Hall. It is old, decrepit and charming. Back when I went there, the bathrooms were in the basement along with… a huge storage room for the museum that was left open one day!! I went in there and snooped around a bit… really great art, in crates, leaned and stacked everywhere.

I have a feeling this building may come down soon, what with the recent demolition/new construction boom in that area.

ncolvin

Wow! So many great comments about the Museum, makes me feel good to be a part of the organization. Couple of quick things, yes Beaton is part of the Museum, but, far from tearing it down, we are currently in the process of renovating it so that staff will be able to utilize the space for offices. We love the building too and were committed to it remaining a part of the Museum. In fact, the doors on the front of the building were actually from the original Sessions Mansion that housed the Museum way back when we were still the Gallery of Fine Arts.

One quick correction on the Lantern story, seems to be a bit of confusion with so many numbers floating around, yes we are going to expand, but we won’t be double our size, we’ll be about 50% larger than our current size.

The Burchfield exhibition, curated by our director Nannette Maciejunes, will be up through August 2 and the fashion exhibition is up through July 5.

One final note, as a thank you to our community, the Museum will be free during the months of July and August and will also have enhanced programming during that time. Check out our web calendar for more info at http://www.columbusmuseum.org

pamedwards

FYI – while the Palette Cafe will be closed during renovations – we will have a Petit Palette offering small and delicious food and beverage service in the Museum Drive Lobby! So, when the Chilhuly exhibition arrives in the fall you will be able to see exciting glass sculpture and have your “cake”, too!

In the meantime, you can visit the Museum in July and August when admission will be FREE everyday and the Palette Cafe will be serving lunch.

Coreroc

Thanks for the update and I will for sure stop by very soon!

A question:

How many pieces does the Museum have in storage at any given time? Will more of it be displayed following the renovation and expansion? I recall reading something about this a while ago, but can’t recall the details.

p.s.
    I also enjoyed the Bellows/Pierce exhibits. The activities were perfect for entertaining my kids, enabling me to better appreciate their art.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Wow, thanks for the updates!! And so cool about the Sessions doors. I didn’t know that.

I am so excited about the Burchfield exhibit, and am a big fan of Nanette as well :)

EHopkin

Hi, folks, I’m the art-counter at the Museum, aka the Associate Registrar for the Permanent Collection and I have

An Answer:

A typical museum, art or otherwise, displays about 3-5% of its total collection. The Museum is right up there with this statistic: we have about 500 works on display and about 9,500 in storage. We don’t know how much this percentage will change with the additional space, just because the collection tends to grow much faster than square footage. Curators are constantly acquiring new objects and collections. We have a lot of stories we can tell: we hope the new space will give us opportunity to widen the variety of collections we can present.

Also, a quick note about the mysterious Art room in the basement of Beaton Hall. We did keep some of our empty crates over there for awhile, and the room also served as storage for many of the Yart Sale items. We keep Columbus’s museum treasures….somewhere else.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE