Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Microbrew Festival 2011 - Sept 16 & 17

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals Columbus Microbrew Festival 2011 – Sept 16 & 17

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Last call for summer fun! The North Market will toast the end of summer with the 6th annual Columbus Microbrew Festival on September 16 and 17. Celebrate locally brewed ales, lagers and stouts in the company of the brewmasters from participating local microbreweries.

Participating local microbreweries include: Barley’s Brewing Company, Barley’s Smokehouse & Brewpub, Columbus Brewing Company, Elevator Brewing Company, Elevator Brewery and Draught Haus, Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant, Hoster Brewing Company, Neil House Brewery and Weasel Boy Brewing Company. Representatives from each microbrewery will be on hand to answers questions about their signature drafts.

Admission to the event is free. Beer tasting admission is $20 and includes a commemorative pint glass, ten tasting tickets and a $5 North Market food certificate. Discount coupons good for $2 off the tasting admission fee will be available at all participating microbreweries in September. Additional tasting tickets will be available for $.50 each. Tickets will be available in advance online here⇒ (starting September 1st) at the North Market business office and at the door on the days of the event.

MORE: http://www.northmarket.com/blog/index.php/2011/08/6th-annual-columbus-microbrew-festiaval/

mbeaumont
    Participant

This is always a really fun event. Here’s what it’s like to attend:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder if Rockmill was invited… Vespamary?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bump! Starts tomorrow! :D

vespamary
    Participant

Sorry gang. I’ve been out sick. Rockmill was invited but Mr. Barbee has other commitments this weekend.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you don’t get your fill at the Festival, we just tapped a cask of one year old Barleywine! across the parking lot from the market at Barley’s. Sauerkraut Balls are pretty good at soaking up beer, too…

Anonymous
    Inactive

0Angle said:
    If you don’t get your fill at the Festival, we just tapped a cask of one year old Barleywine! across the parking lot from the market at Barley’s. Sauerkraut Balls are pretty good at soaking up beer, too…

E.T.A.
    We are pouring our last keg of Blood Thirst Wheat for the year at Barley’s, too.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

OK, so I am a newb to the North Market-hosted microbrew festival as it was only this summer that I started appreciating craft beer in any significant quantity (thanks to Yellow Brick Pizza). So I show up on Friday at 5:00 thinking I will buy a couple tickets for two beers before going home from downtown. I was thinking it would be organized similarly to the Ohio wines festival hosted by the NM in which you buy tickets depending on how much you plan to consume. As any veteran to this event would know, that’s not how it works. You pay $20 for a pass. Huh? How does one drink $20 worth of beer and still confidently drive home? Maybe others can no problem, but not me. Besides, it was friggin happy hour and I could go to any number of bars in the area and have micro-craft beers for $2.50 to $3.00. No big deal but I am out on this event forever. It does seem to me that if the NM is going to host this event they bear some degree of responsibility despite any independant promoter and the concept of paying $20 in advance is way behind the times and downright foolish.

RoJoNo
    Participant

FSonicSmith said:
    OK, so I am a newb to the North Market-hosted microbrew festival as it was only this summer that I started appreciating craft beer in any significant quantity (thanks to Yellow Brick Pizza). So I show up on Friday at 5:00 thinking I will buy a couple tickets for two beers before going home from downtown. I was thinking it would be organized similarly to the Ohio wines festival hosted by the NM in which you buy tickets depending on how much you plan to consume. As any veteran to this event would know, that’s not how it works. You pay $20 for a pass. Huh? How does one drink $20 worth of beer and still confidently drive home? Maybe others can no problem, but not me. Besides, it was friggin happy hour and I could go to any number of bars in the area and have micro-craft beers for $2.50 to $3.00. No big deal but I am out on this event forever. It does seem to me that if the NM is going to host this event they bear some degree of responsibility despite any independant promoter and the concept of paying $20 in advance is way behind the times and downright foolish.

Welcome to the world of craft beers. Yellow Brick pizza has a great tap list, where there’s nothing that the owner does not drink himself. I think you are missing the point of the Microbrew Festival. It is a celebration of the craft brewers in Columbus, where they share rarities from their cellars not found at happy hours. It also gives the beer fan a chance to talk with the brewers. I biked over on the less-crowded Saturday session, and was fortunate to tip a glass with CU’s 0Angle, the longest-tenured active brewer in Ohio. His Barley’s had an aged keg of their Belgian-inspired Infinity Grand Cru. Other rarities included 5 bourbon barrel-aged offerings from Elevator, and three Hop Odyssey selections from CBC.
    I saved $2 by presenting the flyer I obtained from Barley’s. Included in the $18 admission was a pint glass (~$4 value), $5 voucher for North Market food (new this year), and 10 tickets. If one purchased the cheapest tastings (1/4 pint) (1 ticket) or full pints (4 tickets), the 10 tickets bought approximately equal 2 and 1/2 pints. Most samples required 2 tickets, thus reducing the purchased volume. So it comes to about $4 per pint, a decent non-happy hour price. Enjoy the beers at Yellow Brick, and reconsider attending next year.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I was going to respond, but RoJoNo’s response was perfect. It’s a great event, and the pricing and selection makes perfect sense. Hope you attend again next year.

Chrysee
    Participant

The $5 voucher was such a good idea! I used to get $5 off this year’s Microbrew Festival t-shirt, my husband used his towards some hot sauce, and our friends used theirs towards wine and beer at the Barrel and Bottle. Obviously we didn’t just buy $5 items. It definitely ensured that we would browse and buy at NM before we left. We had such a good time this year, even bought a bunch of extra tickets, and then took a walk down to the Elevator for dinner and more good beer! Too bad I didn’t know about the last of the Blood Thirst Wheat or I’d’ve insisted we go to Barley’s instead. That is my fav summer beer! :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: