Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Metropolitan Library - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Metropolitan Library – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Stephen43215 said:
    This city is and always will be a car dependent city.

“Always” is an awfully long time.

MHJ
    Participant

Land lined up for new Parsons branch library
    By Dean Narciso and Mark Ferenchik
    Saturday November 16, 2013 5:26 AM

Columbus Metropolitan Library has purchased land along Parsons Avenue to relocate and triple the size of its branch there, welcome news for neighborhoods long known for their struggles.

The new site is about a third of a mile south of the current branch at 845 Parsons, which, at 7,599 square-feet, is one of the 21-branch system’s smallest. Customers often have to wait for computers, and even furniture on which to read or study.

On Thursday, the library completed the purchases of 1085, 1105, 1111 and 1131 Parsons Ave. and 461 Stewart Ave., said Ben Zenitsky, library spokesman. The library is expected to close on the purchase of 1125 Parsons on Monday, said Marc Borst, the longtime owner of the former auto-body shop at that location.

“We’re excited,” Zenitsky said. “It’s a real investment in the community.”

Brent Warren
    Brent Warren
    Participant

Checked in with Gregg Dodd, director of marketing for CML, on the Oak Street apartments; “At this time, there is no demolition of existing structures in the plan. We intend to keep the apartments.”

lattethunder
    Participant

Now this is a demolition I can get behind (parsons, not grant-oaks). Those buildings have been in disrepair for years and don’t add much to that area. Hopefully the new library design is human scale, as much of the other buildings on Parsons have a pretty small footprint. Also, I hope it isn’t one story like the current building.

That’s an entire block so I am curious to how the space will be utilized.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Not sure if Moody Nolan has won the bid for the new MLK library branch but they have renderings up of a beautiful new building along Long Street. http://www.moodynolan.com/#portfolio/project_48c257e1-157d-46b8-bd32-6ea8f491925b

heresthecasey
    Participant

Yikes. Design criticism aside, I honestly hope CML is not renaming that branch the “Martin Luther King Jr. / Barack Obama” Library.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I think its still the MLK branch, but the green space will carry the Obama name.

I kind of love the design. As a librarian its great to see library buildings start to move outside the mold and become visually interesting. It also adds some wow factor which is certain to attract notice in the terms of library as place.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I kind of love the design. As a librarian its great to see library buildings start to move outside the mold and become visually interesting. It also adds some wow factor which is certain to attract notice in the terms of library as place.

+1 to all of that.

Looks great!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Love the design. Very striking. There is always a little room for some ultra-modern. Also, I’m really glad that they integrated green roofs.

Pro Se
    Participant

From the looks of this, I believe it will be going in at the SW corner of Long St and Taylor Avenue. I’ve heard some people say this is where the library used to be in the 1950s before the current MLK branch moved down towards Woodland.

News
    Participant

New Driving Park Library Branch Opens July 12
    July 1, 2014 1:44 pm – Sally Wenxin Xia

The new Driving Park Branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library is less than two weeks away from opening its doors to the public. The new 15,000 square foot building is more than twice as large as the former branch.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-driving-park-library-branch-opens-july-12-sx1

News
    Participant

Driving Park Celebrates Grand Opening of new Library Branch
    July 13, 2014 7:30 am – Jesse Bethea

The atmosphere was festive on Saturday as the Columbus Metropolitan Library opened its newest building at the corner of Livingston and Kelton Avenues. The Columbus Saints Drum and Bugle Corps and stilt walkers from the Amazing Giants entertained the crowd as city and library officials arrived to commemorate the opening of the Driving Park Branch.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/driving-park-celebrates-grand-opening-of-new-library-branch-jb1

News
    Participant

Library Releases Design for Parsons Avenue Branch
    August 7, 2014 7:30 am – Brent Warren

The Columbus Metropolitan Library (CML) has released the latest design for their Parsons Avenue Branch. A rendering showing a one-story building with a mix of modern and traditional elements was also presented to the neighborhood at a June 18th event.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/library-releases-design-for-parsons-avenue-branch-bw1

heresthecasey
    Participant

Hmm it doesn’t look bad at all. However, given that Moody Nolan is the architect, I will hold judgement until more information about the full design is released.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

While the colors are more muted in this design, I think it looks quite similar to Driving Park. With 10+ other branches set for renovation in the next 5 years, I do hope that’s their aim. Slightly subtle branding by design, and immediately know its a library even before you see the sign.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: