Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Issue 4: Columbus Metropolitan Library Levy

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Issue 4: Columbus Metropolitan Library Levy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
  • Author

dirtgirl
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

dirtgirl wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

joev wrote >>
    When I can’t afford a Wagyu New York Strip, I don’t just buy it anyway. I switch to hanger steak, which is also delicious, just not as luxurious. To do otherwise would be irresponsible, as I’m not a fan of living outside my means.

Like how when I can’t afford to buy a book, I borrow it from the library.

No, apparently you pay $150 a year for a book.

I’ll play. So, the average on sale cost of a hardcover is what – $18? Maybe as low as $15 on Amazon? Let’s say $15, cause math is hard.
    That’s 10 books a YEAR. I have 10 library books in my house RIGHT NOW.

I edited my post because the INCREASE is about $150 (for a $200K home), but the total will be $600 a year. I’m a huge fan of the library, use it frequently, and want to see us have a good one, but I had NO IDEA I was paying that much in property taxes for them. It’s really shocking when you put it that way.

I just think that the system made some cuts to adjust to the downturn in state funding, so why not maintain those levels for a while? Everyone has had to endure cuts, lots of us make less at work, our houses are worth less (though the auditor never decreases my taxes), why should the library be different? And there is tons of federal stimulus funding for broadband at libraries. I’m not even sure if CML applied. It just seems like the wrong time to raise taxes.

But my husband already informed me he’ll be voting for it, so it looks like we’ll be cancelling each other out again.

Twixlen
    Participant

Werd – yeah… $600 a year (again, for $200K home) does seem massive, but considering it’s about $14 a month (at that same level house/increase) additional, it just seems worth it to me. I don’t think the library is looking to add anything massive (at least from what I’ve read – I could be wrong, as I definitely haven’t been exhaustive in looking at levy details) – it seems that the libraries are seeing a pretty substantial increase in use, even by me.

I guess I am just there so much – I see what a ridiculously awesome resource it is (reserving books online to pick up later? I can’t live without this…). Just discovered the language learning courses they have online, and will be putting those to use asap.

And really, I truly, truly want all the kids and teens that are in the library, soaking up the A/C all day to be there – not out causing an issue in the ‘hood.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

dirtgirl wrote >>
    our houses are worth less (though the auditor never decreases my taxes), why should the library be different?

The auditor is unlikely to take the initiative to lower your assessment, but if your home has dropped dramatically in value, you might actually be able to get it reassessed. When we bought our house it had a very inflated value. We applied for a reassessment from the auditor’s office and received it without any hassle.

anillo
    Participant

And if you need more information on how to get your home value reassessed, I’m sure there’s a library book for that.

berdawn

anillo wrote >>
    And if you need more information on how to get your home value reassessed, I’m sure there’s a library book for that.

burn.

dirtgirl
    Participant

ChrisSunami wrote >>

dirtgirl wrote >>
    our houses are worth less (though the auditor never decreases my taxes), why should the library be different?

The auditor is unlikely to take the initiative to lower your assessment, but if your home has dropped dramatically in value, you might actually be able to get it reassessed. When we bought our house it had a very inflated value. We applied for a reassessment from the auditor’s office and received it without any hassle.

(sorry O/T) well I’d like to sell it before long – wouldn’t asking for and getting a lower assessment hurt?

Lakee911
    Participant

Everyone has to learn how to do more with less during a recession. Why can’t our government (including libraries) do the same?

alison

I’d be interested in seeing how the per-visit cost has fared in the last 10 years. I know I saw a lot of stories about the large number of middle class people who discovered the library at the beginning of the recesssion — suddenly finding a great source of entertainment as their discretionary spending money dried up. As the recession has dragged on, more and more people are turning to the library for job-related things.

I’d bet, given the tremndous increase in useage, the the per-visit cost of the library is probably about the same as it was 10 years ago.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    I’m not voting for the levy. EVERY government entity is making these cuts, and the library shouldn’t be exempt. It’s a valuable service, and I love the library, but among everything else that’s valuable, I can’t see giving them more of my money when I’m not getting paid any more.

*blink*

joev… that really you?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    Werd – yeah… $600 a year (again, for $200K home) does seem massive, but considering it’s about $14 a month (at that same level house/increase) additional, it just seems worth it to me. I don’t think the library is looking to add anything massive (at least from what I’ve read – I could be wrong, as I definitely haven’t been exhaustive in looking at levy details) – it seems that the libraries are seeing a pretty substantial increase in use, even by me.
    I guess I am just there so much – I see what a ridiculously awesome resource it is (reserving books online to pick up later? I can’t live without this…). Just discovered the language learning courses they have online, and will be putting those to use asap.
    And really, I truly, truly want all the kids and teens that are in the library, soaking up the A/C all day to be there – not out causing an issue in the ‘hood.

How about, at the state level, job and family services takes a 1% cut and that money is applied to libraries?

Twixlen
    Participant

rus wrote <
    How about, at the state level, job and family services takes a 1% cut and that money is applied to libraries?

I don’t know anyone in Ohio working for JFS, but had a pal who worked there in NY state (upstate). Back when the economy was doing well, she, personally, averaged 43 cases at one time, over three years. She was supposed to lay eyes on every family at least once a week. Some of the families lived over an hour away (big county).

I can’t imagine their resources are overflowing, or that their need has lessened, in spite of the library ramping up their offerings, some along a similar vein.

alison

dirtgirl — are you sure you pay $600 a year for the library?

Admittedly, my house is worth a mere 100K, but according to the county auditor’s website, I’m only paying $23.18 for the library, a smidge less than I pay for the Metroparks.

Twixlen
    Participant

alison wrote >>
    dirtgirl — are you sure you pay $600 a year for the library?
    Admittedly, my house is worth a mere 100K, but according to the county auditor’s website, I’m only paying $23.18 for the library, a smidge less than I pay for the Metroparks.

You are totally right – I forget we can look these things up… mine is only $31.99/year for the library… Can’t imagine it’d be over $50/year for $200K?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

rus wrote <

I don’t know anyone in Ohio working for JFS, but had a pal who worked there in NY state (upstate). Back when the economy was doing well, she, personally, averaged 43 cases at one time, over three years. She was supposed to lay eyes on every family at least once a week. Some of the families lived over an hour away (big county).
    I can’t imagine their resources are overflowing, or that their need has lessened, in spite of the library ramping up their offerings, some along a similar vein.

Then, in a time of limited resources, perhaps some government spending is of a higher priority?

HeySquare
    Participant

dirtgirl wrote >>
    Wow, this is an eye-opener. If .6 mils is $5.24 per month per $100,000 of home value, it sounds like I’m already paying them about $40/month for the base millage, and now this increase is another $10. Over $50 a month just for libraries?! I’d pay that for police and fire protection, but that’s a lot of money for an occasional book (which usually runs me another $5 in late fees anyway).
    I would support a renewal of 2.2 mils, but an increase seems poorly-timed given the economy.

dirtgirl- you can look up the amount you pay if you check the Franklin County assessor’s website (http://www.franklincountyauditor.com/). look up your house, and click on “tax distribution.” I paid a little over $33 dollars for the entire year last year… so I don’t think you would be paying THAT much, unless your house is really really expensive. And if that was the case, I really wouldn’t feel sorry for you :)

ETA: ha… allison beat me to it

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: