Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Issue 4: Columbus Metropolitan Library Levy

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Issue 4: Columbus Metropolitan Library Levy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)
  • Author

alison

Libraries *do* realize that — that’s why they’ve cut services, and staff havve made sacrifices. They’ve done really well with the money they’ve had, while seeing a tremendous increase in the need for their services — I’m willing to kick in for a cost-of-business adjustment after ten years. What they do benefits the entire county, at very little cost to me.

Cookie

joev wrote >>
    When I can’t afford a Wagyu New York Strip, I don’t just buy it anyway. I switch to hanger steak, which is also delicious, just not as luxurious. To do otherwise would be irresponsible, as I’m not a fan of living outside my means.

Like how when I can’t afford to buy a book, I borrow it from the library.

joev
    Participant

I’ve had my pay cut, am doing a ton more work because we have fewer staff, and my services are more valuable than ever in generating tax revenue – but I’m not asking for a cost-of-business adjustment. This is a terrible time for the library to be asking for more money.

chaptal
    Participant

When would be a good time for the library (or any public agency) to ask for more money? The library’s infrastructure is stretched to the limit as it is. And while in comparison, CML has it easier with the current levy, take a look in a Southwest Public Library sometime, which does not have a local levy, it’s gutted. People in bad economic times come to rely on the library as a place to get educated, use the computers to try to find work or expand on their skills.

Sure, one can be cynical and see the computers as a place to use facebook, play games, and they are definitely being used as such. But people need those good services from the library, and there are not enough of them as is.

Tenzo
    Participant

The issue replaces the 2.2 mills first passed in 1986 and adds 0.6 mills to help balance the budget. It’s an additional $5.24 per month per $100,000 of home value.

So they are asking for an additional $xxx/year from me for for a total of $Y,xxx a year for something I don’t use.
    I’m WAY in favor of libraries. They lead to a more educated populous and provide tangible services that can not be found elsewhere. In the long run public services should promote more self reliance and more people contributing to the government than taking away.

In the two years I have been here our local taxes have gone up $2,000 a year for us. (Government actions on student loans have increased our student loan payments about $YY,XXX at the same time.)
    Everything seems worthy, but there is a limit to what I can physically pay. It’s tough right now for a lot of people and increased taxes are the wrong way to go.

1) Increased taxes takes away money
    2) Increased taxes decreases discretionary spending, which hurts the economy.
    It seems that every individual is making cut backs but the government.

The city just raised our income tax 25%. They should put some of that toward the library.

However, given past performance, the measure will pass.

Late Edit: removed personal information. The point is that it’s been a tough couple of years for everyone.

alison wrote >>
    Libraries *do* realize that — that’s why they’ve cut services, and staff havve made sacrifices. They’ve done really well with the money they’ve had, while seeing a tremendous increase in the need for their services — I’m willing to kick in for a cost-of-business adjustment after ten years. What they do benefits the entire county, at very little cost to me.

I have always believed that CML has had a tight budget and has managed more efficiently than most. But, it’s time to accept change and realize that maybe they have to many facilities and have strayed from their main focus. Why do they think they should be a one stop shop for everyone’s needs. AND why is it wrong to pay a small fee for usage? It’s time for public organizations to THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX, just like private companies have been doing for years.
    Additionally, they have had increases every year during the last decade. With each new house, each increase in your property tax.
    DON’T be fooled by the line, We have not had a funding increase in 10 years. They have had increases, just not a new levy. In better times I might support a levy increase, now is not the time.

chaptal
    Participant

RoundTowner wrote >>

alison wrote >>

I have always believed that CML has had a tight budget and has managed more efficiently than most. But, it’s time to accept change and realize that maybe they have to many facilities and have strayed from their main focus. Why do they think they should be a one stop shop for everyone’s needs. AND why is it wrong to pay a small fee for usage? It’s time for public organizations to THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX, just like private companies have been doing for years.
    Additionally, they have had increases every year during the last decade. With each new house, each increase in your property tax.
    DON’T be fooled by the line, We have not had a funding increase in 10 years. They have had increases, just not a new levy. In better times I might support a levy increase, now is not the time.

CML is a Carnegie Library which means free service to all.

chaptal wrote >>

RoundTowner wrote >>

alison wrote >>

I think if Andrew Carnegie was still around he would not be happy about his vision/contributions. Its time to THROW out the old ways, old politians and be creative with funding. Stop beating the tax payer to death!! I would like to buy a new car, but, now is not the time, just like its not the time to ask for more taxes.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

It’s more than worth a few tax dollars to me to continue having the best* Library in the nation. I’ve been to libraries in New York and Boston and other major metropoli and they sucked compared to ours. I can’t imagine how much poorer my growing-up years would have been without this incredible resource.

*a fact not an opinion
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/06/07/library-award.html?sid=101

Tenzo
    Participant

Certainly doesn’t seem very ‘free’ in the tax millage.

It’s more than worth a few tax dollars to me to continue having the best

Why stop there? We can have the ‘best’ of a lot of things if it only takes money.

And why must you have ‘the best that money can buy’? Is that a required need or one of the seven?
    I can have the ‘Best’ car for $250,000. But I’m reasonable.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

You can have the best car for $250K. But the whole city can have the best library at a miniscule fraction of that cost per person.

I don’t always need the best for myself. But I’d love to always have the best for my city. I’m pretty happy about already having the best zoo, library and science museum –wouldn’t want to lose those.

Twixlen
    Participant

Every time I go into my little library, I wonder – where would all these people be, if not here? Because that place is packed – nearly every seat taken plus some – every single time I’m in there (at least once a week, lots of times 2-3 times). They changed the learning room into a job resource center, with dedicated computers and folks to help with resumes, applications, etc. There are a ton of pre-teens and teens, either hanging out with their friends (in a very orderly fashion, I might add) or on the computers (which are strictly regulated and timed). There are lots of moms and little kids, retirees lingering over a new release, the researchers helping someone… a *very* used resource.

I actually miss the Sunday hours – I thought I wouldn’t, that it would be easy to adjust to other days, but at least once a month I find that I really wish the library were open (mostly because of a reserved book I have waiting on me – yes, I know downtown is open).

Believe me, I’ve seen my property taxes rise, and don’t know how much longer I can be squeezed for cash – but, for me, it’s a resource I use A LOT. One that I value greatly, and would hate to see lessened in any capacity. The folks of my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods don’t have a lot of options for access to the kind of information that a library has, and the kind of assistance they offer.

dirtgirl
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

joev wrote >>
    When I can’t afford a Wagyu New York Strip, I don’t just buy it anyway. I switch to hanger steak, which is also delicious, just not as luxurious. To do otherwise would be irresponsible, as I’m not a fan of living outside my means.

No, apparently I pay $600 a year through my property taxes. That’s an expensive book.

Twixlen
    Participant

dirtgirl wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

joev wrote >>

No, apparently you pay $150 a year for a book.

I’ll play. So, the average on sale cost of a hardcover is what – $18? Maybe as low as $15 on Amazon? Let’s say $15, cause math is hard.

That’s 10 books a YEAR. I have 10 library books in my house RIGHT NOW.

alison

And you live in a large and vibrant city which — unlike many parts of the state — continue to attract businesses and creative people in no small part because of the amenities we have.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: