Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Mayoral Race 2015

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Columbus Mayoral Race 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 533 total)
  • Author

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Discouraged Democrat wrote:</div><br>
    Let’s put it this way: With the exception of his own neighborhoods, voters in areas with relatively greater percentages of the adult population having college degrees were much more likely not to vote for Ginther. Maybe coincidence; maybe not.

Not a coincidence because not accurate. Ginther won by almost TWENTY POINTS dude, that’s called a mandate. Trying to suggest he squeaked by on the backs of the uninformed makes you look like a crazy person. Ok, a crazier person.

Never said he squeaked by, only that he got higher percentages in less educated areas and lower percentages in more educated areas. The 18% mandate is because in the City of Columbus there are far more of the former than the latter. Nothing crazy about it.

Fact: Only one in three residents of the city has a college degree, so by necessity there are far more areas where the average resident has a high school degree or less than areas where the average resident has a college degree.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Fact: Only one in three residents of the city has a college degree, so by necessity there are far more areas where the average resident has a high school degree or less than areas where the average resident has a college degree.

Fact: That isn’t what you claimed. You claimed the educated areas didn’t vote for Ginther. That is blatantly false.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Discouraged Democrat wrote:</div>

Fact: That isn’t what you claimed. You claimed the educated areas didn’t vote for Ginther. That is blatantly false.

I said that, in general, higher percentages in lesser educated areas voted for Ginther than in more educated areas. Then I said his 18% mandate was the result of there being more less educated areas than more educated areas. Then I said that because only 1/3 of Columbus residents had college degrees, there are more less educated areas (high school or less) than more educated areas (college degree). Prove me wrong, don’t just call me names. Facts matter.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

“Map in Thursday’s Dispatch showing areas carried by Ginther was interesting in that, with the exception of his own neighborhood (Clintonville), there’s a close correlation between areas going very strongly for Ginther and areas with the lowest average levels of educational attainment”

You stated that the only educated area that Ginther carried “strongly” was Clintonville.

That is blatantly false.

“Map in Thursday’s Dispatch showing areas carried by Ginther was interesting in that, with the exception of his own neighborhood (Clintonville), there’s a close correlation between areas going very strongly for Ginther and areas with the lowest average levels of educational attainment”

You stated that the only educated area that Ginther carried “strongly” was Clintonville.

That is blatantly false.

No. Please learn what “close correlation” means. It does not mean “exact correlation”, which are the words you’re trying to put in my mouth. But it is a fact that areas with lower education rates TENDED TO go more heavily for Ginther. More educated areas TENDED NOT TO.

arobinbird
    Participant

Ginther won, so stop the pissing contest. There is not one study that proves a person voted in to office via college degree vs non- degree performs any better or worse. FACT

Ginther won, so stop the pissing contest. There is not one study that proves a person voted in to office via college degree vs non- degree performs any better or worse. FACT

And you’ve researched all the voter studies? And so quickly too. Besides, correlation does not mean causation. There can always be other factors at play.

I do, however, believe that a more educated voter is more likely to analyze and comprehend the possible ramifications of electing a politician with ethics problems in his or her past. Such a voter is also more likely to research the candidates and ignore obviously-biased media commercials and campaign flyers (on both sides). Education, after all, is good for something. Just my belief.

I’m not passing. Just responding to someone who said I’m crazy.

Go Bucks.

In an editorial today, the Dispatch laments as “unfortunate” that voters “returned Gary Baker and Shawna Gibbs, both of whom were on the [Columbus School] board at the time the data fraud was committed, and passed over qualified candidates free of taint who would have offered a fresh approach.”

I couldn’t agree more.

But, editorial board, how can you then rationalize supporting Ginther for mayor as he was not only also on the board at the time but was the chairman of the district’s audit committee? The paper itself reported on April 30 of this year that in “State Auditor Dave Yost’s report on his office’s investigation into the data rigging …[his] investigators say Ginther told them during an interview in October 2012 that [about eight years earlier!] he and the rest of the audit committee members instructed then-Internal Auditor Harold Saunders to halt the data-rigging investigation.”

The data rigging had real, palpable (often financial) impacts on Columbus kids and their families.

If Baker and Gibbs are to be held accountable, why not more tainted chair of the committee responsible for but in neglect of its responsibility to investigate?

If similar problems occur in the Ginther mayoral administration, are we to expect them to be swept under the rug for eight years?

Was the Raphael plea deal for extortion a part of yet another Ginther cover up?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

If Baker and Gibbs are to be held accountable, why not more tainted chair of the committee responsible for but in neglect of its responsibility to investigate?

If similar problems occur in the Ginther mayoral administration, are we to expect them to be swept under the rug for eight years?

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Denialism
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Corruption
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Ignorance

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Willful_ignorance

arobinbird
    Participant

I was being sarcastic, but I’ll take an educated leap and say there isn’t one, but feel free to try and prove me wrong, and have fun spinning your wheels. In the meantime, nobody likes a sore loser, and educated or not, it’s annoying. A degree doesn’t mean you’re smarter than people without one either. I could go on and on, but I think you’re Smart enough to get the point.

I was being sarcastic, but I’ll take an educated leap and say there isn’t one, but feel free to try and prove me wrong, and have fun spinning your wheels. In the meantime, nobody likes a sore loser, and educated or not, it’s annoying. A degree doesn’t mean you’re smarter than people without one either. I could go on and on, but I think you’re Smart enough to get the point.

Ginther hasn’t really won until he escapes indictment and/or censure by the ethics commission. You’re right: Intelligence and education are very different things, as are stupidity and ignorance.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ginther hasn’t really won until he escapes indictment and/or censure by the ethics commission.

It’s just like you’ve been saying all along… guilty until proven innocent.

Ginther hasn’t really won until he escapes indictment and/or censure by the ethics commission.

It’s just like you’ve been saying all along… guilty until proven innocent.

Guilty or innocent, an indicted or censured politician suffers a loss. Fair or not, that’s politics. I didn’t create the rules. He IS under investigation by the ethics commission for the Centerplate matter and the Department of Justice has said the investigation continues in the Redflex matter — and he’s the only participant left to investigate, Raphael and the two former Redflex officials having reached plea agreements.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 533 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: