Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Mayoral Race 2015

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Columbus Mayoral Race 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 533 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

The more I read from each of these alternative candidates, the more I can see that I’ll most likely be reluctantly voting for Ginther.

Who knew there were no limits to campaign contribution amounts in Columbus elections the amounts donated to the Ginther campaign are staggering…

the Big D does a good job covering the contributions to date, is the story their marker?

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/01/30/mayoral-race-campaign-funding.html

Ginther’s donor list.

$100,000, came from Coleman’s campaign.

$45,000 from Alan, Peter and Matt Scantland. Alan and Peter Scantland are the CEO of Covermymeds and president of Orange Barrel Media,

Developers Peter and Jeffrey Edwards contributed $42,000.

Leslie Wexner and his wife, Abigail, gave $30,000.

$25,000 each from<br>
    developer Don Casto;<br>
    the Columbus Firefighters Union PAC;<br>
    Nationwide Insurance Co.;<br>
    an OAPSE AFSCME union PAC;<br>
    Pizzuti PAC;<br>
    and Shyam and Ram Rajadhyaksha.

Huntington Bancshares gave $20,000.<br>
    Franklin Kass of Silver Drive Partners gave $17,500.

$15,000 each from Ndukwe Chinedum, Michael Deascentis, Brad Dehays, George McCue, Michael Schiff of Schiff Capital Group, Shelly PAC and Mark Wood of the Wood Operating Co.

$10,000 BIA Build PAC of Central Ohio;<br>
    the PAC of the law firm Bricker & Eckler;<br>
    the PAC of the Isaac Wiles law firm;<br>
    Brian Kinzelman;<br>
    George Kontogiannis;<br>
    M/I Homes PAC;<br>
    Moving Forward PAC;<br>
    Robert Meyers;<br>
    Bradley Mindlin;<br>
    New Albany State PAC;<br>
    Andrew Rumpke, president of Rumpke waste hauling;<br>
    Alisa Savko; and Ramona Savko.

I like to follow the money too. Wexner brands, Huntington and Nationwide are all on the board of Columbus Partnership, MI is a member. I wonder how long it will take those members to donate the $2M that it was alleged Ginther was going to get.

Maybe that number won’t be so crazy-pants after all. Time will tell.

News
    Participant

Via Email:
    SHERIFF SCOTT TO FILE PETITIONS FOR MAYOR

SHERIFF ZACH SCOTT WILL FILE PETITIONS TO OFFICIALLY PLACE HIS NAME ON THE MAY PRIMARY BALLOT FOR MAYOR OF THE CITY OF COLUMBUS TODAY AT 2:00PM, AT THE FRANKLIN COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS 1700 MORSE ROAD COLUMBUS, OH 43229.

ZACH SCOTT SAID COLUMBUS IS POISED FOR AN EVEN BRIGHTER FUTURE AND BELIEVES HE HAS THE EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE TO HELP LOCAL NEIGHBORHOODS THRIVE, KEEP FAMILIES SAFE, AND BRING NEW JOBS TO THE CITY.

News
    Participant

Mayoral Candidates Discuss African-American Concerns
    February 4, 2015 5:02 pm – Jesse Bethea

Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church’s “Meet the Candidates” forum was laser-focused last Thursday on the issues concerning the African-American community of Columbus and what the four candidates for mayor intend to do about them. Elder Michael Reeves made it clear that the forum would not be a debate, but an opportunity for black Columbus residents to meet and question City Council President Andrew Ginther, Franklin County Sheriff Zach Scott, Dr. Terry Boyd and James Ragland on plans for the city’s future.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/mayoral-candidates-discuss-african-american-concerns-jb1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Dispatch is reporting that Ragland might be out due to problems with his application.

News
    Participant

Via FB:

Council President Andrew Ginther addressing the packed Executive Committee meeting after receiving their endorsement for his candidacy for Mayor.

MORE: https://www.facebook.com/FranklinCountyDemocraticParty/photos/a.631880200187016.1073741827.133460883362286/858704927504541/?type=1

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Had an interesting experience –agreed to take a phone survey that turned out to be (I’m pretty sure) a push poll for Ginther. On the one hand, it did a great job highlighting the good things Ginther has done and raising questions about Scott. On the other hand, the whole concept of a push poll is a little slimy…

NDaEast
    Participant

Follow the money… Ginther refused to allow a campaign finance proposal on the ballot — refusing even to allow the petition signatures to be counted because the certified precirculation copy was filed with the City Clerk, rather than the City Auditor. This coming after his campaign Treasurer, Don Mctigue, filed a protest on earlier petitions citing case law that indicated that the statute had been supplanted by caselaw,and thatthrough recent caselaw those petitions should have been filed with the Clerk and not the Auditor, and despite the fact that the city has accepted and counted petition signatures where the precirculation copy had been filed with the clerk. They make up the rules to fit their purposes, which is as undemocratic as you can get. Then they convince voters to change the rules to double the current number of petition signatures needed to place a citizen initiated ordinance on the ballot. Pizzuti, the Dispatch and Nationwide are all beneficiaries of the (at least) $250M arena bailout promoted by Mr. Ginther. (And according to disgruntled city hall insiders, Pizzuti,after getting a tax abatement for his high-priced boutique hotel, also got a Short North parking garage for $1.00 that should have been valued at over $3M for his boutique hotel — anyone know more (links?), or do I have to research? Follow the money … there is a reason the rich are flooding Ginther with cash — he makes them richer at our expense. But just as money didn’t tip the scales on the school and zoo levies that the public smashed, neither will it tip the scales for Ginther, who I understand their own internal polling shows is unknown and unpopular among those who know of him. That is, I understand, why he started that softball feel good ad so early (the one where his wife says she probably knows him as well as anybody (duh), and his father’s Bronze Star is highlighted prominently. From public records that people are starting to leak, i am in disbelief that Mr. Ginther would highlight his father in this public manner, when the very things portrayed so charmingly on the video are the subject of much anger, private pain, tragedy, and litigation by others. Why would anybody risk putting his own father’s most private and tragic pain and embarrassing moments into the public spotlight? It just reinforces my understanding that Mr. Ginther is little more than a craven politician with poor judgment. Last call: for those still on it, the time to jump off the Ginther bandwagon is now.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

The more I read from each of these alternative candidates, the more I can see that I’ll most likely be reluctantly voting for Ginther.

so that is what it has come to? another perfunctory plebiscite. I guess we get the government we deserve.

roy
    Participant

From public records that people are starting to leak, i am in disbelief that Mr. Ginther would highlight his father in this public manner, when the very things portrayed so charmingly on the video are the subject of much anger, private pain, tragedy, and litigation by others. Why would anybody risk putting his own father’s most private and tragic pain and embarrassing moments into the public spotlight?

@NDaEast: psst can you elaborate on your mysterious remarks above? am intrigued, please pm if you don’t want to post publicly.

NDaEast
    Participant

@roy … a substantiated Columbus Bar Association complaint against Mr. Ginther (father) before the Ohio Supreme Court, which I think shows political desparation to include his father’s bronze star as evidence of the candidate’s character, citation and summary as follows:

http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/0/2006/2006-Ohio-79.pdf

“{¶ 1} Respondent, Jeffrey D. Ginther of Columbus, Ohio, Attorney
    Registration No. 0022665, was admitted to the practice of law in Ohio in 1973.
    On March 19, 2003, we found that respondent had neglected one client’s case and
    failed to formally withdraw as the client’s counsel after being discharged. We
    suspended respondent’s license to practice law for six months, but we stayed the
    suspension on conditions, including that he comply with a treatment program for
    his alcohol abuse and depression. See Columbus Bar Assn. v. Ginther, 98 Ohio
    St.3d 345, 2003-Ohio-1010, 785 N.E.2d 432.

{¶ 2} On October 11, 2004, relator, Columbus Bar Association, charged
    respondent with additional acts of professional misconduct. A panel of the Board
    of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline heard the cause and, based on
    comprehensive stipulations and other evidence, made findings of fact, conclusions
    of law, and a recommendation, all of which the board adopted. SUPREME COURT OF OHIO
    Misconduct
    {¶ 3} Relator’s complaint contains seven counts, each relating to a
    different client grievance. The grievances alleged that respondent had committed
    misconduct in 2002 and 2003 in his handling of four bankruptcy cases, two
    domestic-relations cases, and one adoption case. Respondent stipulated to
    misconduct in each case.”

It is in my opinion sad, and I struggle to see why Andrew Ginther, candidate for Mayor of Columbus, would bring these tragic issues for his father into his political campaign. To me it reaffirms his bad judgment and desperation. It perhaps also raises the same question candidate Ginther sought to put to rest about his failures with CMACAO and the school data scrubbing issue … did the apple fall very far from the tree?

News
    Participant

Via FB:

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

It is in my opinion sad, and I struggle to see why Andrew Ginther, candidate for Mayor of Columbus, would bring these tragic issues for his father into his political campaign.

So over a decade ago his father had a six month suspension from the bar that may have been related to alcoholism and that somehow is a huge deal?

Not seeing it.

heresthecasey
    Participant

It is in my opinion sad, and I struggle to see why Andrew Ginther, candidate for Mayor of Columbus, would bring these tragic issues for his father into his political campaign. To me it reaffirms his bad judgment and desperation. It perhaps also raises the same question candidate Ginther sought to put to rest about his failures with CMACAO and the school data scrubbing issue … did the apple fall very far from the tree?

From what I can tell, the only person attempting to bring these “tragic issues” into the campaign and exploit them for political gain is you.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Admittedly haven’t been paying too close of attention to the race yet out of general disdain for politicians so this observation/question is coming from a limited perspective…

Confident the city itself can maintain the momentum of the “swagger” concept but other than Coleman I just am not able to envision any of the candidates being able to pull this off effectively as a leader. Am I alone in this sentiment?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 533 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER