Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Mayoral Race 2015

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Columbus Mayoral Race 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 533 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Terry Boyd Announced as GOP Candidate for Mayor
    January 17, 2015 11:26 am – Jesse Bethea

On Thursday, the Franklin County Republican Party announced Terry Boyd, former president of the Columbus Board of Education, as their candidate for Columbus mayor. Boyd will face two Democrats, Franklin County Sheriff Zach Scott and Columbus City Council President Andrew Ginther, in a May primary battle. The two candidates with the most votes in that primary will run against each other in the general election.

Columbus Underground was able to speak with Boyd on Friday afternoon about what he expects from the campaign and what separates his vision for Columbus from those of his opponents.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/terry-boyd-announced-as-gop-candidate-for-mayor-jb1

News
    Participant

James Ragland Enters Race for Columbus Mayor
    January 19, 2015 6:57 pm – Walker Evans

The race to replace outgoing Mayor Michael B. Coleman just got another contender with news that James Ragland has officially announced his candidacy for the position. Ragland currently serves as Development Director at the Cristo Rey High School, and has previously held positions with the University District Organization, the State Central Committee for the Ohio Democratic Party, and as a Legislative Aide at Columbus City Council.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/james-ragland-enters-race-for-columbus-mayor

News
    Participant

Strickland backs ex-city council president as Columbus mayor
    By – Associated Press – Wednesday, January 21, 2015

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) – Ex-Gov. Ted Strickland and 40 other current and former Democratic elected officials are endorsing former city council president Andrew Ginther for Columbus mayor.

READ MORE: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/21/strickland-backs-ex-city-council-president-as-colu/

mpc9546
    Participant

Has Ginther ever addressed why he sold prime real estate in Short North to one of his political contributors (Pizzuti) for $1? It cost more to park in that parking lot than Pizzuti paid for it.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/09/25/columbus-property-sold-for-one-dollar-10-investigates.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Has Ginther ever addressed why he sold prime real estate in Short North to one of his political contributors (Pizzuti) for $1? It cost more to park in that parking lot than Pizzuti paid for it.

Sounds like he addressed it in that very article you linked to:

City council approved the transaction and claims it will help stimulate economic development. A spokesman for Council President, Andrew Ginther, projects the sale will generate $4.1 million for the city over the next 10 years.

Whether or not people are satisfied with that answer is up to the individual.

Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mpc9546 wrote:</div>

City council approved the transaction and claims it will help stimulate economic development. A spokesman for Council President, Andrew Ginther, projects the sale will generate $4.1 million for the city over the next 10 years.

Ginther didn’t say why the property was sold only for a dollar. He said the sale would generate $4.1 million for the city over 10 years, but doesn’t explain where that number came from.

jackoh
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mpc9546 wrote:</div>

Of course “City Council approved the transaction.” Would you expect anything else.

heresthecasey
    Participant

As a side effect of the race for Mayor, City Council could start to get interesting,

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/01/22/more-changes-coming-for-council.html

Ginther might not even have to win an election to be mayor. Rumors have been swirling since about Christmas that Coleman could step down before the end of his term, elevating the council president, Ginther, to the mayor’s office as spelled out in the city’s charter.

If Ginther remains in office throughout the mayoral campaign, the candidate running for his seat would have to do something that no other Democrat has done since 1997 — win a council election without first being appointed.

News
    Participant

Mayoral Candidate Terry Boyd’s “$2 Million” Claim is False
    January 22, 2015 10:40 pm – Jesse Bethea

Last week, Columbus Underground interviewed Terry Boyd, Republican candidate for mayor. At one point in that interview, Boyd was asked how strenuous he expected the campaign to be, and he answered “I think it’s going to take a tremendous effort, because let’s face it, the Partnership, the Columbus Partnership has pledged over $2 million for my opponent’s campaign.” Later in the interview, Boyd clarified that the opponent he referred to was City Council President Andrew Ginther.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/mayoral-candidate-terry-boyds-2-million-claim-is-false-jb1

News
    Participant

The four candidates for Mayor will meet tonight for a public forum. Tell us what you want to hear them discuss, HERE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/talk#!/politics

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Recap of tonight’s event was covered live, here:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/talk#!/politics

The coverage is rough, so we may have something more formal written up soon.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Who knew there were no limits to campaign contribution amounts in Columbus elections the amounts donated to the Ginther campaign are staggering…

the Big D does a good job covering the contributions to date, is the story their marker?

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/01/30/mayoral-race-campaign-funding.html

Ginther’s donor list.

$100,000, came from Coleman’s campaign.

$45,000 from Alan, Peter and Matt Scantland. Alan and Peter Scantland are the CEO of Covermymeds and president of Orange Barrel Media,

Developers Peter and Jeffrey Edwards contributed $42,000.

Leslie Wexner and his wife, Abigail, gave $30,000.

$25,000 each from
    developer Don Casto;
    the Columbus Firefighters Union PAC;
    Nationwide Insurance Co.;
    an OAPSE AFSCME union PAC;
    Pizzuti PAC;
    and Shyam and Ram Rajadhyaksha.

Huntington Bancshares gave $20,000.
    Franklin Kass of Silver Drive Partners gave $17,500.

$15,000 each from Ndukwe Chinedum, Michael Deascentis, Brad Dehays, George McCue, Michael Schiff of Schiff Capital Group, Shelly PAC and Mark Wood of the Wood Operating Co.

$10,000 BIA Build PAC of Central Ohio;
    the PAC of the law firm Bricker & Eckler;
    the PAC of the Isaac Wiles law firm;
    Brian Kinzelman;
    George Kontogiannis;
    M/I Homes PAC;
    Moving Forward PAC;
    Robert Meyers;
    Bradley Mindlin;
    New Albany State PAC;
    Andrew Rumpke, president of Rumpke waste hauling;
    Alisa Savko; and Ramona Savko.

News
    Participant

Interview: Sheriff Zach Scott, Candidate for Mayor
    February 1, 2015 11:03 am – Jesse Bethea

Franklin County Sheriff Zach Scott was the first to announce his candidacy for Columbus mayor late last year after current Mayor Michael Coleman announced he would not run for reelection. On Saturday, Scott opened his new campaign headquarters on East 5th Avenue. While there, he agreed to talk at length with Columbus Underground about his campaign and the future he envisions for the city if he is elected.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/interview-sheriff-zach-scott-candidate-for-mayor-jb1

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Its interesting, I have had many heated debates with James Ragland right here on C/U over the years…but I also don’t see anyone in this race more passionate and more aligned with my personal vision of Columbus. I think Mayor Coleman has been an epic leader, but I also think bringing in Coleman Jr. in the form of Ginther is a mistake and some fresh ideas are in order. I think J.R. may be that guy.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Its interesting, I have had many heated debates with James Ragland right here on C/U over the years…but I also don’t see anyone in this race more passionate and more aligned with my personal vision of Columbus. I think Mayor Coleman has been an epic leader, but I also think bringing in Coleman Jr. in the form of Ginther is a mistake and some fresh ideas are in order. I think J.R. may be that guy.

J.R. is great at being a reactionary, but even on here I have yet to hear any affirmative plans or a long term vision for our city. He clearly supports one line of thinking (though the hyperbole is rampent on both sides, this nugget for instance: https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/kasich-requires-schools-to-have-a-religious-partner-for-new-state-funding/page/5/#post-1055519).

He obviously care a lot about issues of race, and rightly so, I do too. But based on his comments on the message board from the Ohio State Football Players suicide, to Jon Waters, to requiring Public Schools to have faith based programs to qualify for state grants and more I don’t believe he represents more than just his personal & demographic view point anymore that Scott’s represents that of a police officer. I want someone that represents all of Columbus, not just one segment. I’m ready (and hopeful) to be proven wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 533 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: