Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Economy - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Economy – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
  • Author

bjones7
    Participant

rus said:
    We need a corollary to Godwin’s law.

Walker’s law: “As a CU discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning passenger rail approaches 1.”

+ 1 and I knew that law. Thus is why I said it.

InnerCore
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    So essentially you’re arguing that Columbus has an inherently strong economy that attracts people from other cities. So Columbus is like every other city with a strong economy. Texas has strong economies, and all those cities attract people. This is a natural function of economics regardless of the conditions of neighboring cities.

But you seem to be missing one big point. The people who are moving to Columbus are moving from cities that are struggling. However the people who are moving to Austin are doing so from cities that aren’t struggling. For example Austin gains people from Columbus. If Columbus’ economy isn’t bad then the people must be leaving for another reason.

Other cities have used the growth that they were getting from jobs to transform their cities into more desirable places. We should be focused on doing the same. How do we make the city attractive beyond jobs and affordable housing. And I’m not saying were not doing it at all but it needs to be a bigger focus.

InnerCore
    Participant

gramarye said:
    (to the extent that they really are struggling … Cleveland in particular is doing pretty well)

What led you to that conclusion?? Cleveland is doing horrible and losing population.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/interactives/metromonitor#M17460-recovery-overall-nv

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    But that is the primary reason. People aren’t living in Cincinnati or Cleveland and saying “man I need to move to Columbus because its so cool”. They’re moving to find a job, any job.

Honestly, I think the emphasis you put on the sheer number of new residents the “cool” cities attract is misplaced. I think the “job-based” growth Columbus sees in the long run does much more for sustainably growing our city.

I grew up in a dying rust-belt town (Springfield) and I new a lot of people who fled for greener pastures elsewhere. It always seemed crazy to me to pack up and move cross-country on the basis of moving to a cool city, so I moved to Columbus for practical reasons (work). I was always somewhat jealous of those that moved to Cool places like Portland and Austin.

However, a decade later it is amazing how many of those people returned to Ohio after languishing for a few years in low level service or retail jobs. The fact is the job market in those places is incredibly competitive, so it is extremely difficult to hack it long term.

So maybe the so-called cool cities attract more transplants on a net basis year-in year-out, but how long do they stay? Do they put down roots, start careers, buy homes, send kids to school, and otherwise truly join and grow the community? I would love to see some sort of retention rate statistic showing how long new residents stay in various cities. In other words, if someone moves to Columbus, Denver, Portland, or wherever, how likely are they to still be living there in 5 years, 10 years, etc.? I think Columbus-style growth means we gain AND keep residents more than a lot of other cities. (Obviously, I have no empirical data to support this, it is just my theory based on my personal anecdotal experience, so ymmv).

News
    Participant

Business Outlook 2013: The Economy
    Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013
    By Kitty McConnell

Uncertainty is the one sure forecast for the economy in 2013. Major federal decisions continue to loom large, leaving investors and businesses to watch and wait while Washington negotiates federal spending, tax cuts and new health-care regulations.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusceo.com/features/article_a86481d6-70a5-11e2-85ce-0019bb30f31a.html

News
    Participant

4Q stumble doesn’t derail Central Ohio job growth for 2012
    Jeff Bell
    Staff reporter-Business First

Employment in the Columbus region fell by 5,200 jobs in the fourth quarter of 2012 but the total of Central Ohioans on the job grew by 16,200 for the year , says the latest quarterly economic report from Columbus 2020.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/02/14/4q-stumble-doesnt-derail-central-ohio.html

News
    Participant

New Economic Numbers Show Columbus Celebrating ‘Renaissance’
    Friday March 8, 2013 4:28 PM

New numbers back that up. The index of leading economic indicators shows central Ohio way above the other metro areas. Columbus is up nearly 18,000 jobs in the last year. The unemployment rate is 5.4 percent, well below the 7 percent state average.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/03/08/columbus-economy-donuts-indicator.html

News
    Participant

Columbus economy slips 10 spots in On Numbers report
    Mar 29, 2013, 7:28am EDT
    Evan Weese
    Web coordinator-
    Business First

Columbus fell to 14th in a March ranking of cities by economic vitality, after holding down the No. 4 spot for three straight months. The On Numbers Economic Index tracks 102 major markets with populations of more than 500,000 in a monthly report for Columbus Business First parent American City Business Journals Inc. It measures 18 factors, including private-sector job growth, unemployment and housing price appreciation.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/morning_call/2013/03/columbus-economy-down-to-14th-in-on.html

News
    Participant

Small businesses name Columbus one of the most supportive U.S. cities
    Announcements — By Melanie McIntyre on May 13, 2013 at 8:00 am

Small businesses give Columbus high marks when rating the most supportive cities in the country, according to the results of a recent survey. In fact, Columbus earned an “A” in several categories of the Thumbtack.com Small Business Friendliness Survey, including overall small business friendliness (placing it ahead of both Cleveland and Cincinnati) and overall regulatory systems.

READ MORE: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/small-businesses-name-columbus-one-of-the-most-supportive-u-s-cities/

News
    Participant

Columbus tumbles to No. 43 in economic ranking
    Evan Weese
    Web coordinator-Business First

Columbus continued its slide in a ranking of cities by economic vitality. Columbus ranked No. 43 in June, down from 14th in March and 36th in April, the third-biggest drop among all 102 major markets analyzed over the period. Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla., and Chattanooga, Tenn., fell further.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/morning_call/2013/06/columbus-tumbles-to-no-43-in-economic.html

bjones7
    Participant

Wow number 4 to number 43. Yikes.

myliftkk
    Participant

The methodology link on the biz site isn’t working, so it’s a little hard to evluate the merits of the ranking.

ricospaz
    Participant

I blame the 7-11’s closing.

DouginCMH
    Participant

myliftkk said:
    The methodology link on the biz site isn’t working, so it’s a little hard to evluate the merits of the ranking.

Any methodology that shows vast swings in rankings from month to month seems at best of marginal use.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: