Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Economy - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Economy – News & Updates

• This topic has 81 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by News.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Austin pushes past Oklahoma City to lead monthly economic rankings
    The Business Journals by G. Scott Thomas
    Date: Monday, December 10, 2012

Austin has grabbed first place in December’s rankings, supplanting Oklahoma City, which was No. 1 the previous four months and now is No. 2. Rounding out the top five this month are Houston, Columbus and Omaha. All three have been fixtures in the national top 10 since the index debuted in August.

Eighteen statistical indicators are analyzed each month by the On Numbers Economic Index, providing a snapshot of conditions in the 102 major metropolitan areas with populations above 500,000. Among the factors are private-sector job growth, unemployment, earnings, housing-price appreciation, and construction and retail activity.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/on-numbers/scott-thomas/2012/12/austin-pushes-past-oklahoma-city-to.html

Hamsterdam
    Participant

Huge credit to Gov. John Kasich for everything he’s done to help turn this state around since Jan. 2011. It had been a rather disastrous previous eight years for the state.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hamsterdam said:
    Huge credit to Gov. John Kasich for everything he’s done to help turn this state around since Jan. 2011. It had been a rather disastrous previous eight years for the state.

Columbus is #4, which is great, though you should probably be thanking local city/county/civic/business leaders for that.

The rest of Ohio’s big cities fall further down on the list. They still have a long way to go…

#23 Cincinnati
    #30 Akron
    #41 Cleveland
    #56 Toledo
    #74 Dayton
    #79 Youngstown

Hamsterdam said:

I have to admit, I nearly spit out my coffee when I read this.

If you are in Columbus, you clearly need to get out and travel around this state a little more. This particular city is doing quite well, but as Walker pointed out, the rest of the state… not so much. Just ask Toledo, or Dayton, or Youngstown how well things are going for them.

As for Kasich, he literally doesn’t even set foot into town any more than he has to. He’s a creature of suburbia; as governor he could care less about what goes on in this state’s cities.

bjones7
    Participant

Walker said:
    Columbus is #4, which is great, though you should probably be thanking local city/county/civic/business leaders for that.

The rest of Ohio’s big cities fall further down on the list. They still have a long way to go…

#23 Cincinnati
    #30 Akron
    #41 Cleveland
    #56 Toledo
    #74 Dayton
    #79 Youngstown

+1 It’s not like we have passenger train roaring through the city ;)(that he took away the opportunity). Someone has to mention that.

..Back to the thread…
    Thats great! The area’s low umenployement sure helps as well! Continue of re-urbanization of downtown should help further strengthen our economy as well I would think?

rus
    rus
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    +1 It’s not like we have passenger train roaring through the city ;)(that he took away the opportunity). Someone has to mention that.

We need a corollary to Godwin’s law.

Walker’s law: “As a CU discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning passenger rail approaches 1.”

awra2001

It’s sobering for me to think about how so many of those remaining Ohio cities still struggle from an industrial economy that was so singular that when it left, prosperity went along with it.

The sins of the fathers…

gramarye
    Participant

The other Ohio cities are ranked lower, true, but the distribution seems fairly normal. It would be pretty surprising if we actually had all seven of our metro areas in the top ten, though it would be great, obviously. Note that even Toledo still ranked ahead of NYC. And actually, the biggest surprise to me on that list was Scranton-Wilkes-Barre at #20.

kweenbee73
    Participant

Kasich my @ss. We need to be thanking Mayor Coleman and the people of this city. To have a thriving economy, you have to have people that are committed to shopping local and eating local and love being where they are. The fact that if you live downtown/campus area, you have to drive MILES to go to a Wal-mart speaks volumes for the spirit of the city. When you make it a cool city, people will want to come here-and spend their money here and raise their kids here and bring their companies here.

Also a note on distribution… Texas has 4 cities in the top 25. It could be done here too. We had so many cities that were based off of one industry (auto/steel) that when things changed they couldn’t keep up. It will take time and a shift of mindset.

gramarye
    Participant

Do you really think people are so committed to localism and disparaging Wal-Mart in #3 Houston, or #5 Omaha … or #7 Little Rock, Ark., right down the street from Wal-Mart’s headquarters?

rus
    rus
    Participant

kweenbee73 said:

Also a note on distribution… Texas has 4 cities in the top 25. It could be done here too. We had so many cities that were based off of one industry (auto/steel) that when things changed they couldn’t keep up. It will take time and a shift of mindset.

On that point, it’s been what… thirty years? How much more time would it take for a mindset shift?

InnerCore
    Participant

kweenbee73 said:
    Kasich my @ss. We need to be thanking Mayor Coleman and the people of this city. To have a thriving economy, you have to have people that are committed to shopping local and eating local and love being where they are. The fact that if you live downtown/campus area, you have to drive MILES to go to a Wal-mart speaks volumes for the spirit of the city.

I really wish people here would stop ragging on Walmart. It really just accentuates how out of touch people are with what’s going on in the rest of America. If its not Walmart then it will be another discount retailer taking it’s place. It has to do more with the vibrancy of the neighborhood than whether or not there is a Walmart. As Walmart has recognized the need to move back to urban environments they have been putting out great designs. Its these unwalkable suburban neighborhoods you should have a problem with, not Walmart. And it does speak volumes that if you live downtown you have to drive MILES to Walmart… or Target or anything comparable for that matter. It sucks. You should be able to walk up the street to these amenities.

kweenbee73 said:
    When you make it a cool city, people will want to come here-and spend their money here and raise their kids here and bring their companies here.

That sounds like whats going on in other cities not Columbus.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/04/top-7-post-recession-cities-young-people_n_1076521.html#s454370&title=4_Seattle_WA

Columbus is benefiting from the poor economies from the cities around it. We need to find a way to capitalize on this growth so that when/if these other cities recover people don’t simply move back home.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

InnerCore said:
    Columbus is benefiting from the poor economies from the cities around it. We need to find a way to capitalize on this growth so that when/if these other cities recover people don’t simply move back home.

I was waiting for you to bring the bad news to this thread. ;)

geoyui
    Participant

Did we just return to this thread?

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:
    I was waiting for you to bring the bad news to this thread. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER