Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus is 5th in the nation for Drunk Driving.

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus is 5th in the nation for Drunk Driving.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

thefiercelime
    Participant

Are you asking if this: “Someone has 3 drinks and they are a threat to society (They are, after all, out past the witching hour! The horror!) and should be heavily fined because we know that someone else who had 30 drinks somewhere else has killed someone.”

equals this?: “Driving after three drinks is okay.”

No.

alove
    alove
    Participant

Because our city is too car-dependent. It would be nice to ride the light rail home after drinking.

Core_Models

alove wrote >>
    Because our city is too car-dependent. It would be nice to ride the light rail home after drinking.

If you can afford a night out drinking you can afford to take a cab home after. It has nothing to do with light rail or better buses. The people who are choosing not to pony up cab fare and drive drunk aren’t suddenly going to pay to hop on a train.

alove
    alove
    Participant

Well for one, I kind of take back what I said because numbers 1-4 all have light rail… hahah

BUT if Columbus built something similar to the north corridor light rail line, TONS of people would use it, including people going to bars around downtown, SN and Old North. You said people who wouldn’t use a cab would not use light rail, but I have to disagree.

thefiercelime
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

alove wrote >>

If you can afford a night out drinking you can afford to take a cab home after. It has nothing to do with light rail or better buses. The people who are choosing not to pony up cab fare and drive drunk aren’t suddenly going to pay to hop on a train.

Wait, wait, wait. You don’t think people would find it more convenient to make a quick hop on a train than to wait around for a cab and pay loads more for the ride? How would we determine that for them? I can only go by personal experience. When given the option it’s whatever is more convenient at the time (train or cab), but, both of those options are way more convenient than getting outrageously fined and losing my driving privileges. My point is that there’s no need for a car when mass transit is efficient.

Core_Models

Wait, wait, wait. You don’t think people would find it more convenient to make a quick hop on a train than to wait around for a cab and pay loads more for the ride? .

I think people who are driving drunk because alternatives are inconvenient will continue to do so even if slightly more convenient alternatives existed.

thefiercelime
    Participant

That begs this question: Who the hell are those people and how do we determine that because getting outrageously fined, losing your driving privileges, having a record AND a stigma is not slightly less convenient than the other alternatives whatsoever.

Core_Models

thefiercelime wrote >>
    That begs this question: Who the hell are those people and how do we determine that because getting outrageously fined, losing your driving privileges, having a record AND a stigma is not slightly less convenient than the other alternatives whatsoever.

Speaking from my own experience, as someone who got a DUI like 15 years ago, all those things worked great at preventing me from doing it again, but not a lot to stop me beforehand. I didn’t think I’d get caught, or didn’t think I was that drunk, or thought I could get away with it if I was caught, or blah blah blah.

Interestingly, after driving really drunk dozens of times prior at all hours, the time I actually got picked up was after a 3 beer happy hour stop after work on my way home at like 7:00 at night.

So I don’t know the answer for people who did what I was doing (other than actually getting a DUI), but I just suspect more convenient transit isn’t it.

The statistics are based on arrests so properly put, Columbus is 5th-best at being caught drunk driving.

thefiercelime
    Participant

I’d personally love to have the option of mass public transit for reasons that go way beyond just seeing my friends get home in a safe and efficient manner (which is not to be misconstrued with the idea of irresponsibly blaming one’s DUI charges on the city for not making public transportation available).

It’s also clear to me that the DUI laws are geared toward increasing city revenue and not toward increasing our safety. If the concern is being cost efficient and safe, public transit wins hands down.

Core_Models

It’s also clear to me that the DUI laws are geared toward increasing city revenue and not our safety.

On that we agree 100%.

Someone suggested calling a cab? I called one during prime hours at a prime location (very popular cab location) because my car was accidentally towed (I had the right to park there) and my husband and I share a car (so he couldn’t easily come and get me – from where I was stranded) and it took almost an hour. And, I was at a local business that has a lot of international visitors and there are constantly cabs there! It was 6:30pm at night on a major thoroughfare – not 2:30am out in the boonies!! It was a terrible experience, it was raining – I was soaked and when the cab finally got there his overpowering air-freshener was so strong I could barely breathe, and then I think he overcharged me, to top it all off. (I swear it was $10 when I went into the tow-lot for a minute, just to double-check there weren’t any hiccups in actually getting my car before I let him go) and $16 when I ran out.

thefiercelime
    Participant

How irresponsible of you. Pay the state and shut up. Pay somebody, anyways, and keep the war effort moving. It’s not our job to make life peaceful and understandable. You were obviously wasted. Hell, I grew up in Green River Wyoming and I knew full well when I had a glass of wine once a year on my birthday that it was my choice and therefore the 40 mile walk home uphill or the endless wait for a cab necessary for keeping my kin and countrymen safe was welcome and I liked it! Love it or leave it. Sensible community and transportation is for lazy communists. Stay sober and buy American.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: