Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus: Indie Art Capital of the World

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Columbus: Indie Art Capital of the World

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Spotted this sign at Sign*A*Rama on Gay Street today. Dunno how long it’s been up. Gave me a bit of a laugh.

Remember “The Good Ol’ Days?”

Columbus is the Indie Art Capital of the World

Columbus – The Indie Art Capital of the World

Indie Art Capital = It’s Official

Indie Art Capital of the World on WBNS-10TV

Can Columbus make its mark in indie art?

Coreroc

I still talk about this stuff, but tend to feel like the lone wolf! lol

On that note I think the reality is that we are still seeing progress from the same grassroots folks that were on board for this from the begining. What I think you don’t have these days is the sense of the people that simply didn’t understand what it meant to be indie and couldn’t understand why there wasn’t some large group in charge of this independent art scene and thank god!

Anima Mundi

Had the independent artist movement stayed true to being a labor movement among the remaining people in the US who still make things with their hands,ie, artists, things would have looked differently.

KyleEzell

Mike Brown is now at Experience Columbus and he could really help this matter because he understands it and was part of the process.

Coreroc

@Kyle I fully agree with Mike being able to help, but it also takes enough artists that give a crap for him to follow up. Hopefully we didn’t loose the spirit at those who who matter and create. I know that I certianly keep the concept alive and moving!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I am still constantly amazed by how invested and committed artists such as yourself, Coreroc, are, as well as Laura and Adam and… on and on. The scene in Columbus is not only lively, but full of integrity from the ground up.

From being considered a bit of a backwater where no one would ever get the exposure they would need to reach success, Columbus has become a fertile nursery for emerging talent. All it takes is a good work ethic, vision and civic-mindedness. That sounds very healthy to me.

And for that, all of the artists involved deserve to be commended.

Thanks for making art less of a circlejerk of namedropping and confusion and more of a fun place to express oneself.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Coreroc wrote >>
    What I think you don’t have these days is the sense of the people that simply didn’t understand what it meant to be indie and couldn’t understand why there wasn’t some large group in charge of this independent art scene and thank god!

I never wished for any large organization, and I respect people’s efforts to maintain the integrity of “Indie”, but I will freely admit that I ended up feeling both confused and disappointed by the whole (concept? movement? experience?) after initially being very excited and enthused. I still don’t understand “indie” and would be glad to have it explained to me.

One thing I remember is that the concept was patterned after Austin’s “Live Music Capital of the World” brand. But Austin was able to capitalize on their concept with SXSW. The synergy between their concept and their event has dramatically raised their profile in the nation. At one time I saw Austin and Columbus as direct rivals, advantage Columbus, but even a dedicated Columbus fan like me has to admit Austin has decisively won the PR race in the last couple of years.

I’m still an Indie Columbus far (note my location) but it really started to seem to me –and I’m really not trying to be negative or point fingers here –that people saw “indie” as antithetical to any efforts to channel the energy behind the concept into any productive activity (such as was done in Austin).

But maybe it changed some locals’ image of the city for the better, which definitely is important in itself. It was certainly fun while the initial high lasted…

dsigner
    Participant

Indie or not, organized or not, I’ve always been impressed in my 3.5 years in Columbus about just how many people put effort (and passion) toward some form of creative expression. It has always seemed like a very open and inclusive community eager to share itself with the city in many forms. Kudos to those of you making a difference in it and thanks.

Columbusite

If someone doesn’t notice the local art scene it’s because they’re not looking. It isn’t advertised on a bunch of big billboards or stickers or posters and there aren’t a bunch of pamphlets about it at businesses all over the city, but it only takes a minor effort to seek it out.

daniel

I think Columbus could do well to keep the moniker.

The weirdness and opposition has died down, the arts scene has
    strengthened, and the idea (which has stuck around at least
    in hushed tones for several years now) could be picked back up
    and run with without nearly as much fight as we experienced the
    first time through. It’s just more real now.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ChrisSunami wrote >>
    One thing I remember is that the concept was patterned after Austin’s “Live Music Capital of the World” brand. But Austin was able to capitalize on their concept with SXSW. The synergy between their concept and their event has dramatically raised their profile in the nation. At one time I saw Austin and Columbus as direct rivals, advantage Columbus, but even a dedicated Columbus fan like me has to admit Austin has decisively won the PR race in the last couple of years.
    I’m still an Indie Columbus far (note my location) but it really started to seem to me –and I’m really not trying to be negative or point fingers here –that people saw “indie” as antithetical to any efforts to channel the energy behind the concept into any productive activity (such as was done in Austin).

I agree that the emulation of Austin/SXSW probably wasn’t the best impetus to get the whole thing started, but if we’re going to continue to make those comparisons, I don’t know if I’d do it on the same timeline. SXSW took 23 years for it to become what it is today. One year later from the whole Indie Art capital shouldn’t be considered a complete failure by that comparison.

Honestly, I think it might be apples to oranges to compare the two anyway. If anything, something like Independents’ Day 2010 should be compared to SXSW 1989. If we do want to see a specific homegrown event/festival grow, I’d recommend everyone putting their time and effort and energy into ID10.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>
    If someone doesn’t notice the local art scene it’s because they’re not looking. It isn’t advertised on a bunch of big billboards or stickers or posters and there aren’t a bunch of pamphlets about it at businesses all over the city, but it only takes a minor effort to seek it out.

On the flip said, it’s easily ignored as well. Very non-intrusive.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I agree that the emulation of Austin/SXSW probably wasn’t the best impetus to get the whole thing started, but if we’re going to continue to make those comparisons, I don’t know if I’d do it on the same timeline. SXSW took 23 years for it to become what it is today. One year later from the whole Indie Art capital shouldn’t be considered a complete failure by that comparison.
    Honestly, I think it might be apples to oranges to compare the two anyway. If anything, something like Independents’ Day 2010 should be compared to SXSW 1989. If we do want to see a specific homegrown event/festival grow, I’d recommend everyone putting their time and effort and energy into ID10.

Hmmm –that’s good info, Walker. Since I had never heard of SXSW until recently, and since now you hear about it everywhere, I had assumed that it was only a few years old. It makes much more sense to know that it’s been around for decades.

And I guess I somehow missed hearing about ID10 –do you have a link?

At any rate, in light of the new info, I hereby recant all my negativity about the IAC concept. Rock on!

groundrules
    Participant

ChrisSunami wrote >>

And I guess I somehow missed hearing about ID10 –do you have a link?

seems the link is not working, but it’s going to be september 18th, 2010. http://www.thisisindependent.com

edit: seems the whole ‘link not working’ thing was on my end.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

^ Yeah, the site hasn’t been updated with this year’s event info yet, but I imagine it probably will be soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE