Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Charter Schools

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Columbus Charter Schools

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

Columbus has 17 charter school failures in one year

Quote:
    At the beginning of 2013, one long-struggling charter school closed. Over the summer, five more did. And in the fall, 11 more Columbus charters closed their doors, most of them brand new.

That’s 17 charter schools in Columbus closed in one year, which records show is unprecedented.

[more]

I saw this too.

I feel bad for Andrew Boy -he’s built a great program, and I’m sure it gets lumped in with the shyster networks all the time. I have many peers with kids in charter schools, although it’s not my choice, it’s a choice they made when the city schools were wholly unresponsive to reasonable concerns.

myliftkk
    Participant

Interesting data point.

A Dispatch analysis of state data found that 29 percent of Ohio’s charter schools have shut, dating to 1997 when the publicly funded but often privately run schools became legal in Ohio.

joev
    Participant

Charter schools are a cancer.

gramarye
    Participant

Well, from the point of view of their defenders on a systemic level, the fact that charter schools can fail is a feature, not a bug … and the fact that failing public schools are generally not allowed to actually fold is a bug, not a feature. The fact that 29% have failed means that the vast majority have not (though, of course, some of the other 71% might fail in the coming years, while more might open). The goal isn’t to have every single charter school succeed. It’s to have the good ones grow and the bad ones go.

GCrites80s
    Participant

myliftkk said:
    Interesting data point.

A Dispatch analysis of state data found that 29 percent of Ohio’s charter schools have shut, dating to 1997 when the publicly funded but often privately run schools became legal in Ohio.

Sounds like a below average failure rate for businesses.

But that’s a tradeoff you have to make. Businesses close. Your kid’s school might be awesome but doesn’t turn a profit. Maybe it’s awesome becuase it doesn’t turn a profit. The next school might be crappier and more expensive but profitable. The benefits of profit motive can be outpaced by the burden of profit need at any type of business.

The biggest help to any private school is that they get to refuse kids, not the introduction of profit motive. And that’s fine. When I transitioned to public school from private I immediate noticed how much of the public school’s time, effort and resources went into the poor, troublesome and slow kids. And this was at a suburban and later an exurban school. I actually started getting in trouble so that I could get the kind of attention that those kids got.

joev
    Participant

The actual goal is to give children a free, comprehensive education.

Eugene_C
    Participant

People who think education should be market-based will argue that some charter schools should fail and close, because that is the way competition weeds out the bad in favor of the good.

The only problem in this case is that there are actual human kids involved who now have how many years of education down the tubes while their schools failed and who are now at a disadvantage going forward.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    The actual goal is to give children a free, comprehensive education.

Then public schools are an abject failure since they’re not free, but paid for with taxes.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Eugene_C said:

The only problem in this case is that there are actual human kids involved who now have how many years of education down the tubes while their schools failed and who are now at a disadvantage going forward.

Which is also a problem at failing public schools as well, right? I mean, it’s not every public school that gets investigated by the FBI.

gramarye
    Participant

When something is provided by the government, it is not “free.” When it comes to education, government-provided education is not only never “free,” it is also seldom “comprehensive.”

The goal is to give children as comprehensive an education as possible. The government sucks at it and it is about time that other alternatives were at least allowed to try. So some fail. No one said educating kids was easy.

joev
    Participant

rus said:
    Then public schools are an abject failure since they’re not free, but paid for with taxes.

The cost belongs to the school system, not the student.

rus
    rus
    Participant

gramarye said:
    When something is provided by the government, it is not “free.”

Yes.

Someone is paying. Always.

joev said:
    The cost belongs to the school system, not the student.

The school system gets their money from the parents of the student, one way or another.

kit444
    Participant

rus said:
    Yes.

Someone is paying. Always.

The school system gets their money from the parents of the studenttaxpayers, one way or another.

FTFY. Not always the same on the venn diagram.

What’s the impact on these kids when their charter schools fail in the middle of the school year?

rus
    rus
    Participant

kit444 said:
    FTFY. Not always the same on the venn diagram.

Ah, good point. You’re right; “taxpayers” is better than “parents” there.

Was thinking more of private schools ( tuition paid by parents directly ) as well rather than public / charter schools exclusively.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!