Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus = GAY+

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus = GAY+

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author

CDS sherman

Columbusite wrote I agree. I value individualism very highly, so when I see a group of people all talking the same way, dressing the same way, gesturing the same way, etc I’m sure there are those that would be like that regardless of outside influences, but I doubt they all are. I guess the gay people that are most visible are the only ones I see and they all seem to fit in one category. That reminds me, there was/is apparently some sort of bear convention because there was a whole bunch of them on High south of Nationwide one day last year and it wasn’t when they had that gay parade, anybody know what that was all about?

leather convention. and im sure you see gay people all the time that dont look gay. i will agree that the younger gen tries to model their behavior and manerisms on what they might see on tv or what they think is gay. but when they go home or call there folks, the voice depends, the clothes change. hillarious. the only time i really “get gay” is when im drinking. then the big ole queen shows herself. :P

byJody
    Participant

Wow, we did not even make the list in the new rankings. Columbus probably lost rating points from DOMA. (Meaning per capita is not the only criteria).

And America’s Gayest City Is … Atlanta?

Jergarr27
    Participant

byJody wrote >>
    Wow, we did not even make the list in the new rankings. Columbus probably lost rating points from DOMA. (Meaning per capita is not the only criteria).
    And America’s Gayest City Is … Atlanta?

Not surprising.. over the last 5 or 6 years a number of businesses aimed towards the gay community have closed.

-downtown connection
    -the eagle
    -woofs
    -the closet
    -garret’s saloon
    -club paradise
    -liquid?
    -east village
    -an open book
    -the coffee table
    -blondies
    -jacks
    -pyramid II (just closed late last year)
    -Q (arguably on life support)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dayton’s growing gay community begins to rival Columbus’ in the coming years..

DavidF
    Participant

God I miss Blondie’s

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Jergarr27 wrote >>
    Not surprising.. over the last 5 or 6 years a number of businesses aimed towards the gay community have closed.

I’m not trying to say that businesses closing is necessarily a good thing, and I think this is a topic that’s been discussed on here before, but it’s worth questioning if some of these types of gay “safehaven” establishments have outlived their original purpose. If so, wouldn’t their slow disappearance actually be more of a sign of a more tolerant society?

“Number of Gay Bars” is one of the criteria used in this survey, and I have to say that I think that might not be a very accurate measuring stick anymore. There are hundreds of restaurants, bars, stores, and other destinations in Columbus that could easily be considered gay-friendly without necessarily being a specific gay-centric establishment. Isn’t that a what we should be striving for?

ja

Walker wrote >>

Jergarr27 wrote >>

I’m not trying to say that businesses closing is necessarily a good thing, and I think this is a topic that’s been discussed on here before, but it’s worth questioning if some of these types of gay “safehaven” establishments have outlived their original purpose. If so, wouldn’t their slow disappearance actually be more of a sign of a more tolerant society?
    “Number of Gay Bars” is one of the criteria used in this survey, and I have to say that I think that might not be a very accurate measuring stick anymore. There are hundreds of restaurants, bars, stores, and other destinations in Columbus that could easily be considered gay-friendly without necessarily being a specific gay-centric establishment. Isn’t that a what we should be striving for?

Perhaps Columbus being in Ohio which amended its constitution to prohibit gay marriage hurt.

Jergarr27
    Participant

ja wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

Jergarr27 wrote >>

Perhaps Columbus being in Ohio which amended its constitution to prohibit gay marriage hurt.

Gay-friendly doesn’t necessarily mean equal. If you were gay, would you feel comfortable making a connection in a campus or arena district bar? In a setting that is mostly heterosexual? I think that as long as there are people out there who have a problem with it.. then there does need to be some “safe haven” places around.

Not to mention, having bars/ restaurants/ districts that celebrate a peoples culture greatly add to the city as a whole. It gives the city flavor.. which leads to identity.. which gets people wanting to come here more often.. Areas like the Castro is San Fran or Boystown in Chicago are staples of those cities.. and it would be a shame for them to disappear. I think we need more areas that aren’t exclusive to anyone, but do celebrate something specific…

Core_Models

Since I think a few statements are probably true:

1. The gay population hasn’t decreased in Columbus
    2. The gay population hasn’t stopped going out in Columbus
    3. These establishments likely closed for lack of business

I think means they’re going somewhere else. Probably a lot of those “somewhere elses” aren’t sexual preference specific establishments, so yeah…I’d say the market for them is decreasing.

agtw31

ja wrote >>

should gay folks move because of a law outlawing gay marriage?

i don’t like the smoking ban,but im not going to move because of it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Jergarr27 wrote >>
    Gay-friendly doesn’t necessarily mean equal. If you were gay, would you feel comfortable making a connection in a campus or arena district bar? In a setting that is mostly heterosexual?

I’m straight and I still don’t think I’d feel comfortable making a connection in a campus or arena district bar in a setting that is mostly heterosexual. ;) But yeah, I get what you’re saying.

And at the same time, I’m willing to bet that many gay people would have no problem trying to make connections in places like Surly Girl or Bodega or Carabar or Barrio or hundreds of other places. I think the Arena & Campus bars that you’re probably referring to are more of the exception than the rule.

ja wrote >>

No doubt. I was just commenting on the gay bar aspect, as some folks were discussing the ones that had closed.

geoyui
    Participant

Nice write up about Columbus’ LGBT Midwestern Sensibilities

Talks about Columbus, Short North, Downtown and German Village.

My personal favorite is Tigertree, an emporium of highly hip but supremely functional clothing that is operated by the adorable and friendly Josh and Niki Quinn, a California couple who stopped off in Columbus on their way to the East Coast some years back and loved it so much that they never left.

It’s a common theme of late: transplanted coastal folk who never thought they’d linger in Columbus for long, but fell in love with its charms, stayed, and have now become part of its new extra-Midwestern fabric. Other prime (and equally adorable and friendly) examples of this movement are Brady Konya and Ryan Lang, who each came to Columbus when their partners took new jobs here. Brady and Ryan soon joined forces to create Short North’s Middle West Spirits, one of the city’s hottest business success stories with its Oyo whiskey and vodkas – already hugely popular locally, and quickly gaining national acclaim.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE