Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus = GAY+

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus = GAY+

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Columbusite

But couldn’t that be said for any large city? In this country, you have to go to a big city or college town to find a socially liberal populace/attitude. I’m very skeptical about the claim, I mean, more than Chicago? You’ve got to be joking. Does this mean we have to scrap “Indie Art Capital of the World “and replace it with “Gayest City in America”? Because I really like the former…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Mercurius
    Participant

Columbusite wrote But couldn’t that be said for any large city? In this country, you have to go to a big city or college town to find a socially liberal populace/attitude. I’m very skeptical about the claim, I mean, more than Chicago? You’ve got to be joking. Does this mean we have to scrap “Indie Art Capital of the World “and replace it with “Gayest City in America”? Because I really like the former…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

First off it is per capita, not overall. I’m sure Chicago, LA and NYC have a larger gay population, but Columbus has the third largest per capita gay population. I would be more than happy with the slogan (Columbus: a wonderfully diverse and accepting community.) If you say “The gayest city in America” it sounds as you are using gay negatively as a synonym for lame.

I’ve always heard that a few large companies in Columbus have very progressive gay benefits. This brought gay people, I can not substantiate this though.

just_mel

Columbusite wrote I’m very skeptical about the claim, I mean, more than Chicago?

It’s a per-capita measurement, so yeah it could be more than Chicago.

But back to how it’s counted… does anyone know how they get these figures? Because the way the census is used to figure gay population is a proxy and not a good indicator. There was a Columbus gay census a few years back but it was totally voluntary and not promoted very well so I doubt that would be valid for much.

But regardless of the actual number or rank, I like that we have a visible gay community.

Mercurius
    Participant

Our three largest private employers- All offers health insurance for domestic partners and two have an GLBT employee group

http://www.gay.com/business/cpd/profile.html?id=3463&skip=1&tab=pride

http://www.gay.com/business/cpd/profile.html?id=3349&skip=1

http://www.gay.com/business/cpd/profile.html?id=3535&skip=1

Columbusite

I’m sure people from cities like NYC or LA are surprised by such a stat. They probably wouldn’t guess the middle of Ohio of all places, but then that’s because they don’t know any better.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbus wrote Columbus has the third highest gay and lesbian per capita population of any American city.

Has anyone heard of this stat?

I don’t know if I’ve ever heard the 3rd place ranking, but I’ve heard it mentioned that we have one of the largest gay populations many times. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge for anyone who lived here. Along the same lines as Columbus being a test-market city.

I always wondered how they could poll a city for gayness though. Sort of a strange question to ask people in a survey.

I’d assume our large gay population is probably due to the uprising of our neighborhoods like the Short North, Victorian Village and German Village that started 25+ years ago. Gays had a lot to do with the redevelopment of those areas (and more recently neighborhoods like Olde Town East, Merion Village, etc) and I think having such large gay-friendly neighborhoods was a welcome invite for people all over the country to flock here. I’m sure that word of mouth on that type of thing spread quickly even pre-internet, and I think much like the Indie Art Capital idea, once everyone started saying it enough, it came true.

Combined with the fact that we have the largest university in the nation pulling 10,000 new residents into our region every year, I’m sure if young adventurous gay students feel welcome in Columbus, they’re bound to stay.

just_mel

Columbusite wrote I’m sure people from cities like NYC or LA are surprised by such a stat. They probably wouldn’t guess the middle of Ohio of all places, but then that’s because they don’t know any better.

I had no clue before I moved here. I came for job. But it was fortunate for me as I realized I was a big homo within 5 months of living here. If I’d moved somewhere less gay it may have taken years.

I like to think that Columbus made me gay, even though my subconscious knew it while I was still living my teen years back in Michigan.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I had actually always heard 2nd largest :D

bayrea
    Participant

2nd time today I agree with Core. I have actually heard the 2nd place stat for some years now.

enzo
    Participant

columbus wrote Did anyone realize this very interesting claim from the Experience Columbus website?

The Advocate rated Columbus one of the best places in the country for gays and lesbians to live. This recognition highlights the fact that Columbus has the third highest gay and lesbian per capita population of any American city.

Has anyone heard of this stat?

http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/glbt.cfm

This is why Columbus is the best city to live in in the state of Ohio!!! Live and let live, love and just everyone have the freedom and opportunity to deploy their natural talents and gifts. Lower resistance provides the best opportunity for growth and evolution–a natural process that ultra conservative places try to stifle and obstruct–rut lovers.

wildgoose77

CDS sherman wrote DINKS?

Dual Income, No Kids.

Didn’t Rebecca Ryan teach you anything? Sheesh.

When I first saw the headline, I thought we were trying to come up with an equation. Like, Columbus = Gay + College Football. Haha!

HeySquare
    Participant

The Other Paper did a front page story on this ranking sometime last year, I think.

Daz
    Participant

wildgoose77 wrote

CDS sherman wrote DINKS?

Dual Income, No Kids.

Didn’t Rebecca Ryan teach you anything? Sheesh.

When I first saw the headline, I thought we were trying to come up with an equation. Like, Columbus = Gay + College Football. Haha!

I read it like it was a grade

“And on this report, Columbus gets a Gay plus”

Roland
    Participant

This is great news for the straight single men of Columbus! 8)

Oh wait…it also means that more of the women are lesbians… :shock:

enzo
    Participant

DAZ you are clever….I love it!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE