Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus = GAY+

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus = GAY+

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did anyone realize this very interesting claim from the Experience Columbus website?

The Advocate rated Columbus one of the best places in the country for gays and lesbians to live. This recognition highlights the fact that Columbus has the third highest gay and lesbian per capita population of any American city.

Has anyone heard of this stat?

http://www.experiencecolumbus.com/glbt.cfm

f!5hl39

Yes, this stat i thought everyone knew, where have you been? ;) I was asked to cast for Queer Eye here because of that stat!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone know which cities are #1 and #2– and what made Columbus such a gay Mecca and the history behind this phenomenon? It’s facinating to me as a cultural geographer, and equally interesting that Experience Columbus is promoting it. (<Disposable income, I suppose?)

just_mel

I knew we were up there in terms of a large gay population (one of the main reasons I like living here) but it wasn’t until last night that I heard we were third — someone at my table at the summit mentioned it.

I wonder how they got those numbers. This is something that is very hard to measure.

But I think the best thing about this is the fact that Experience Columbus is promoting it as a positive asset. That is awesome.

joev
    Participant

just_mel wrote I knew we were up there in terms of a large gay population (one of the main reasons I like living here) but it wasn’t until last night that I heard we were third — someone at my table at the summit mentioned it.

I wonder how they got those numbers. This is something that is very hard to measure.

But I think the best thing about this is the fact that Experience Columbus is promoting it as a positive asset. That is awesome.

Columbus and Cleveland both are promoting themselves to gay travelers, the ultimate DINKs. I don’t think Cincinnati will ever get there, though…

f!5hl39

columbus wrote Anyone know which cities are #1 and #2– and what made Columbus such a gay Mecca and the history behind this phenomenon? It’s facinating to me as a cultural geographer, and equally interesting that Experience Columbus is promoting it. (<Disposable income, I suppose?)

#1 was San Fran for per capita when i was casting. NYC and LA were close for 2nd. I am unsure the numbers now…

CDS sherman

columbus has had a large gay community for decades.

CDS sherman

DINKS?

Anonymous
    Inactive

CDS sherman wrote columbus has had a large gay community for decades.

Damn, decades? Would be cool to hear the story of how this came about. Why not Indianapolis or Cincinnati (or Toledo or ??). Fascinating.

CDS sherman

columbus wrote Anyone know which cities are #1 and #2– and what made Columbus such a gay Mecca and the history behind this phenomenon? It’s facinating to me as a cultural geographer, and equally interesting that Experience Columbus is promoting it. (<Disposable income, I suppose?)

one reason is, most of my parents friends from hmmm 35 years ago that are or were gay, are from the surrounding towns like ashville and newark. this was and is a saving grace for gays from small town ohio.

Mercurius
    Participant

just_mel wrote But I think the best thing about this is the fact that Experience Columbus is promoting it as a positive asset. That is awesome.

+1 I hate to be stereotypical but my gay friends have some style and have really been at the forefront of just about every urban revitalization in this town. Columbus should be proud. Ohio still has terrible laws discriminating against gays and transsexuals. You can be fired for no other reason than being gay. Don’t even try to get insurance with your partner. Strickland changed that for state employees. I think a few Columbus companies (I know nationwide) have very progressive policies towards gays. Still many are backwards. Oh CDS- Double Income No Kids DINK

robee

this is just my thought but it could have come to be due to Columbus being a larger city then most around which drew a lot of gay people from other small towns, Columbus is where you would come to party, most small towns do not have to many bars that people can go to so they all come to Columbus and after you come to Columbus you think God this is a great city I just might stay…….

Mercurius
    Participant

CDS sherman

robee wrote this is just my thought but it could have come to be due to Columbus being a larger city then most around which drew a lot of gay people from other small towns, Columbus is where you would come to party, most small towns do not have to many bars that people can go to so they all come to Columbus and after you come to Columbus you think God this is a great city I just might stay…….

nice point…

Daz
    Participant

Mercurius wrote

just_mel wrote But I think the best thing about this is the fact that Experience Columbus is promoting it as a positive asset. That is awesome.

+1 I hate to be stereotypical but my gay friends have some style and have really been at the forefront of just about every urban revitalization in this town. Columbus should be proud. Ohio still has terrible laws discriminating against gays and transsexuals. You can be fired for no other reason than being gay. Don’t even try to get insurance with your partner. Strickland changed that for state employees. I think a few Columbus companies (I know nationwide) have very progressive policies towards gays. Still many are backwards. Oh CDS- Double Income No Kids DINK

This is why when my friends ask me what Columbus is like, I tell them “Its like this little beacon of sanity in the middle of a huge ocean of shit.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE