Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Dispatch - Print Publications Sold

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Dispatch – Print Publications Sold

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>
    We’ve had a pretty strong growth trajectory in place already, so any opportunities this presents will just be an amplification of ongoing plans. ;) We’re certainly discussing ways that we can use the momentum to expand coverage, increase staff, and continue to grow our revenue as a business.

For local businesses wanting to keep their advertising dollars local, the path forward seems obvious.

If New Media opts to keep existing employees in place for the local advertising arm they’d have my continued support… On the other hand, if they gut the ops and run everything from NY I’d think otherwise.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant
    Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Who’s in?!
    Btw, a sad irony that the first cover image I found to hack up for 2.0 was one that featured the new up-and-coming, locally owned and operated Skreened.

dispatch other paper 2.0 skreened

heresthecasey
    Participant

Wow. Even given the well-known decline of print media in general, I’m very surprised that the Wolfe’s would sell off The Dispatch.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Wow. Even given the well-known decline of print media in general, I’m very surprised that the Wolfe’s would sell off The Dispatch.

They’re keeping the radio and TV assets, though.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

And I just paid for 3 years of Capital Style! >:P

Roland
    Participant

Who’s in?!<br>
    dispatch other paper 2.0 skreened

I still have, love, cherish, and wear my Kevin Kurgis t-shirt.

Let’s see what happens next. I really hope local reporting improves in Columbus, one way or another.

GeeDee
    Participant

less of an emphasis on local coverage

My biggest complaint about the “old” Dispatch was its severe lack of local coverage and unwillingness to scrutinize local elected officials. I doubt that will change with the “new” Dispatch, but it’s not like they were doing much before the sale in this regard.

WJT
    Participant

So does this mean Columbus will be without a printed newspaper?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

They’re selling it, not ending it.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

They’re selling it, not ending it.

Yes I am aware that they are selling it, thank you very much(that seemed like a snarky response you gave to me, sorry)*. And given that they are selling it, they really do not have any say in what the company buying it might do after that, whether that be changing it, watering it down, or…ending it. I don’t know the history of this company buying it.

Maybe I should have asked, “Does this mean Columbus might end up not having a printed newspaper after this sale?’ I really don’t care, but I have an 82 year old mother and an 87 year old father who still get the printed version.

*without a ;) that did seem snarky as hell to me.

News
    Participant

News of Columbus Dispatch sale met with unease
    June 3, 2015 2:51 pm – Jesse Bethea

There was no joy on Third Street this morning as it was announced that The Columbus Dispatch, one of the last local, family-owned daily newspapers in the country, would be sold to the New Media Investment Group, based in New York. New Media has acquired all of the Dispatch‘s print publications while broadcast operations such as WBNS-TV, RadiOhio Inc and the Ohio News Network will remain under the control of the Wolfe family, which has owned and published the Dispatch for 110 years.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/news-of-columbus-dispatch-sale-met-with-unease-jb1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yes I am aware that they are selling it, thank you very much(that seemed like a snarky response you gave to me, sorry)*. And given that they are selling it, they really do not have any say in what the company buying it might do after that, whether that be changing it, watering it down, or…ending it. I don’t know the history of this company buying it.

Maybe I should have asked, “Does this mean Columbus might end up not having a printed newspaper after this sale?’ I really don’t care, but I have an 82 year old mother and an 87 year old father who still get the printed version.

No snark intended.

I would be incredibly surprised if they shut it down entirely.

Watering it down sounds like a more likely scenario.

No ;) because either way it’s not happy news for the community.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Anyone see the ebay listing for it?

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

No snark intended.

I would be incredibly surprised if they shut it down entirely.

Watering it down sounds like a more likely scenario.

No ;) because either way it’s not happy news for the community.

Oh Ok. I guess I am just too sensitive. And actually, If the Dispatch were being replaced with a better paper, I would be rejoicing. I hate the Dispatch with a passion and also I am not particularly fond of the Wolfe family either. I have a long memory of the Dispatch, what it has published, and also of the Wolfe family and their reactionary influence. just my opinion of course. I only support the Dispatch because it is the only game in town.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: