Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch.com Now Limiting Free Access to Some Online Articles

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch.com Now Limiting Free Access to Some Online Articles

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 282 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

I am seeing more older people with ipads, and I talked to a couple and they said that they got theirs so they could read the Dispatch in large print and when they travel.

Anecedotal, but it may be a trend.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    I am seeing more older people with ipads, and I talked to a couple and they said that they got theirs so they could read the Dispatch in large print and when they travel.

Anecedotal, but it may be a trend.

dunno about the ipad, but the Kindle edition of the dispatch (full re-sizable text of all the articles, with a few pics, no ads, delivered automatically by wireless every day) is $7/month and is *way* nicer and faster to read than their website.

mrpoppinzs

I think there is a kindle app on the ipad.

Pablo
    Participant

You can always read the paper for free at the library.

ricospaz
    Participant

Pablo said:
    You can always read the paper for free at the library.

hmm I work and I have a newborn at home. be realistic

Pablo
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    hmm I work and I have a newborn at home. be realistic

So, you want the Dispatch to provide free content forever? – be realistic.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Pablo said:

can’t believe it took two pages for someone to say this.

elephant in the room!

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I can borrow ebooks from the library.. too bad I can’t borrow the epaper, too.

Of course, they need to make money. I think they run a very real risk of becoming irrelevant and disconnected from the community though. People will turn to the local news channel websites which are likely to stay free. Unfortunately they all suck, but maybe the dispatch closing the blinds will lead to increased traffic and improvement in their quality.

Until then I guess it’s to the library for me. I wonder if the libraries will have web subscriptions?

ricospaz
    Participant

Pablo said:

Now if you were following, you would understand that if you pay for the ‘paper’ version, you got the E-edition free. Guess I’ll hit the library

drew
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    The Dispatch is in a precarious place I feel–because if you want content and are willing to pay, for almost every category, someone else does it better.

(mostly) true.

Pablo said:

True.

I tend to think you’ll get a reasonable lay of the land in trying to reconcile the above.

Garbage. Hopefully they go out of biz. Sucks so many f our large corporate businesses are gouging their customers (aep and dispatch). At least some of them, like Huntington, are still putting their customers first. Who would think a bank would be the leader in customer service, and would be the ones business really there for the customer.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I think the pay wall is a bad idea, but it’s hardly evil price gouging. And you’re kidding yourself if you think Huntington is some saintly bank that never hurts anyone.

Really? Explain…..

NerosNeptune
    Participant

local champion said:
    Really? Explain…..

they’re a bank.

NerosNeptune said:
    they’re a bank.

NerosNeptune said:
    they’re a bank.

Exactly what I figured you would say….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 282 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION