Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch.com Now Limiting Free Access to Some Online Articles

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch.com Now Limiting Free Access to Some Online Articles

Viewing 12 posts - 271 through 282 (of 282 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker said:
    Heh. The spam is visible to people who are not logged in. ;)

We’ve been banned blocks of IP addresses over the past few weeks in hopes to kill it, but it seems like the entire country of China is riddled with some sort of malware or something that is pushing this crap out.

Anyway…

漢字者,漢人屬文、言志之字也,蓋為倉頡所造。千年以還,累有數萬,歸納其法,為以六書,曰象形、曰指事、曰會意、曰形聲、曰轉注、曰假借。當世諸國之文字,殆盡為拼音之屬,獨漢字不然,誠大奇也。

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

可爱。

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:
    We’ve been banned blocks of IP addresses over the past few weeks in hopes to kill it, but it seems like the entire country of China is riddled with some sort of malware or something that is pushing this crap out.

Looks like Japan and maybe eastern Europe area also participating.

kmg67
    Participant

Looks like more shenanigans going on with the bid D’s website. It was my understanding that you could hit the website 10 times before it would ask you to buy a digital subscription and then of course you would simply delete your cookies to reset. Now whenever I go to the site I see that it immediately refreshes twice doubling the count.

Also, they seem to conveniently disable their online customer service whenever they have an issue getting the hardcopy out on time in the morning preventing you from getting your account credited. It was way late this morning and sure enough their online app was crashing. Not the first time this has happened.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

kmg67 said:
    Looks like more shenanigans going on with the bid D’s website. It was my understanding that you could hit the website 10 times before it would ask you to buy a digital subscription and then of course you would simply delete your cookies to reset. Now whenever I go to the site I see that it immediately refreshes twice doubling the count.

Just checked, I’m not seeing this behavior. Maybe it was just glitched.

Graybeak
    Participant

Is why I visit the little D in incognito mode.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Is why I visit the little D in incognito mode.

there are also some nice extensions that allow you to just not let some domains set cookies and others are allowed. Really its recommended you dont let anyone set cookies except for specific ones you really need to allow.

musicfan2
    Participant

firefox workarounds.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve always thought that this mention of “certain breaking news and public service stories” being accessible to the public was an interesting footnote about the Dispatch paywall considering that I’ve seen exactly zero examples of that in effect in the two years that the paywall has been in place:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sections/services/faq.html#DigitalD

“The select content that represents the work of our own award-winning news team is considered premium. A great majority of content posted to Dispatch.com is free for all to read and enjoy. The majority of our videos and slide shows are free to all visitors, as are the obituaries, horoscopes, interactive puzzles, and certain breaking news and public service stories.”

Today I stumbled upon quite the amusing example of something you might expect to be an open/accessible public service type of page on the Dispatch site:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/your-right-to-know/2013/03/primer.html

Pro Se
    Participant

Actually, I read the dispatxh for free several times a day from my iPhone. I know that I am not getting a lot of coverage but I do get plenty free on the mobile side of things. You’re absolutely correct on the desktop side. But they do give out a ton free on mobile edition and they deserve at least some credit for that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

You’d think that the John F. Wolfe letter to the community wouldn’t be behind the paywall…

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/06/03/letter-from-the-publisher.html

OneBagTravel
    Participant

In Wolfe we trust.

Viewing 12 posts - 271 through 282 (of 282 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE