Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch.com Now Limiting Free Access to Some Online Articles

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch.com Now Limiting Free Access to Some Online Articles

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 282 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

“…very frankly, the pool of dollars available to the newspaper aren’t what they are.”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If you listen to the the audio that goes with the story it provides some information about the decision behind this.

The comparison to the kids reading free comics and magazines in the drug store and the drug store owner shooing them with “buy something or get out” was a painfully dated cultural reference.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yeah, “this is not a library”

joev
    Participant

Maybe if The Dispatch stopped spending so much money on the pet political issues of its owners, there would be more money for journalism.

Parker
    Participant

People, please, it is time to put your money where your value is. At some point we need to grow up and pay for things that we value. If you do not value the Dispatch and its content, then do not buy it, and do not expect to get it for free (I know some will scrounge for free copies or dig for a work-around… cheapos that they are). We’re only talking about a couple of bucks. Somehow our models have shifted from pay for content to expecting people at the Dispatch to work for us for free. This makes us no better than those who expect people to work for next to nothing anywhere else. Perhaps those who insist this should still be a free service should consider putting in a few extra hours to pay for their bosses next vacation.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

Walker said:
    If you listen to the the audio that goes with the story it provides some information about the decision behind this.

The comparison to the kids reading free comics and magazines in the drug store and the drug store owner shooing them with “buy something or get out” was a painfully dated cultural reference.

They could have just cited Borders as an example. That would have been a little more timely. They could have also used a picture of the sign that says “No Public Restrooms. Try Amazon.”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

murfmurphy said:
    They could have just cited Borders as an example. That would have been a little more timely.

Yes, a much better comparison. ;)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703373404576147922340434998.html

cheap

Parker said:
    People, please, it is time to put your money where your value is. At some point we need to grow up and pay for things that we value. If you do not value the Dispatch and its content, then do not buy it, and do not expect to get it for free (I know some will scrounge for free copies or dig for a work-around… cheapos that they are). We’re only talking about a couple of bucks. Somehow our models have shifted from pay for content to expecting people at the Dispatch to work for us for free. This makes us no better than those who expect people to work for next to nothing anywhere else. Perhaps those who insist this should still be a free service should consider putting in a few extra hours to pay for their bosses next vacation.

lmao

the Dispatch sucks,and it has for years.the business attitude of the whole media in this town sucks,actually.

they jam fatal car wrecks and shootings down your throat,but when an important issue pops up,you get a 100 word blurb and poof.it is gone.

do you really expect the Dispatch to improve because of this paywall?

i just looked at the Dispatch this morning for free ,and not a damn thing has changed to me.

arualpalm
    Participant

I agree with you, Cheap. It is not worth paying.

Thanks to all the insight and suggestion since I questioned a work-around. I now realize why I give money to the Columbus Library (whose website I can utilize to look up dispatch articles) and NPR (whose website I overlook for local news).

bobkow

You can call out the freeloaders all you want, but my earlier point was that The Dispatch is also asking their full-price, paid-in-full, long time subscribers to now fork over more money. Never did they say “Thanks for being a loyal paid subscriber and to show our gratitude we are making this new feature available to you.” No, they took people like me for granted and said, we don’t care about your monthly payments that exceed what we charge new subscribers, we want more out of you. I have no sympathy for the freeloaders and ask them to pay something.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Parker said:
    People, please, it is time to put your money where your value is.

I think that’s exactly what people are doing here. They’re deciding whether or not they want to pay for it. And having a discussion about it.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Its interesting to me that the ones who seem to be most vocally against the D charging for access (after 10 articles) are the ones saying they don’t want to read it at all. The actual readers, like bobkow, who has a very good point, appear to be a minority.

I’m also not sure why people care so much if the D’s readership (as measured by webhits) goes down. Advertising revenue (wait… websites still have ads? does anyone NOT use an adblocker? Sorry, Walker, its true.) is in the toilet anyway, so it doesn’t matter much if the revenue stream is made up or exceeded elsewhere. They’re attempting to make money to stay in business, not win a readership contest.

groundrules
    Participant

bobkow said:
    You can call out the freeloaders all you want, but my earlier point was that The Dispatch is also asking their full-price, paid-in-full, long time subscribers to now fork over more money.

you pay extra for quality Topix. some shit you just can’t get on paper.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

groundrules said:
    you pay extra for quality Topix. some shit you just can’t get best not printed on paper.

fixed that for ya

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Rockmastermike said:
    Sorry, Walker, its true.

We actually see an extremely tiny loss in ad display through blocking software when comparing our site analytics to our advertising analytics.

You might actually be the only one going out of your way to block ads on CU. I hope it gives you warm fuzzies. Thanks for the support.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 282 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: