Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch.com Now Limiting Free Access to Some Online Articles

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch.com Now Limiting Free Access to Some Online Articles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 282 total)
  • Author

arualpalm
    Participant

So, I go to dispatch.com for part of my local news. Now, they are asking me to pay?? Does anyone know a work-around for this? I really look forward to their Thursday dining features but do not want to pay for the paper or their online site……

“Thanks for being a frequent visitor to dispatch.com! You’ve now viewed your monthly quota of 10 free premium articles. Want to read more? Become a Digital D Subscriber and enjoy unlimited access to award-winning content that can’t be found anywhere else. Simply upgrade your existing print subscription for $2-5 per month, or become a new Digital D subscriber”

ricospaz
    Participant

Yep. Apparently this just started yesterday. I read the paper online M-Saturday and get the Sunday Edition at home. Damn them. Checking rates it’s $9.99 for Sunday only, $14.99 for Sunday plus online. I hope the Dispatch fails and we become the largest city with no daily newspaper.

News
    Participant

From their FAQ:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sections/services/faq.html

I am a Dispatch home delivery subscriber; do I get unlimited access to premium dispatch.com content and the E-Edition as part of my subscription?

As a home delivery subscriber of The Columbus Dispatch, you will receive access to dispatch.com for up to 10 premium content stories per month. Additional stories, as well as access to the E-Edition, are available for a nominal fee per month. This is called Digital D and this can be seamlessly added to your home delivery account.

What is the difference between dispatch.com and the E-Edition?

Dispatch.com is the web site of The Columbus Dispatch, where you can find up-to-the-minute news, as well as videos, blogs, photo galleries and more. The E-Edition is a digital replica of the printed paper. On your computer screen or iPad, the E-Edition looks identical to that day’s newspaper. We offer E-Edition and unlimited access to dispatch.com together as Digital D. These options allow you to receive the full breadth of The Columbus Dispatch’s in-depth, award-winning news coverage.

What if I don’t want to subscribe to Digital D — can I still read dispatch.com for free?

Visitors can enjoy 10 free premium-content articles (including blog posts) each calendar month on dispatch.com, as well as unrestricted access to browse the home page, section fronts, blog fronts, multi-media and classifieds.

Your free, limited access resets every month: at the beginning of each calendar month, you’ll once again be able to view 10 free articles for that month.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/sections/services/faq.html

mrpoppinzs

That sucks, for all I like to rag on the Dispatch it does a pretty good job of reporting local events. I don’t think the other local news sites are anywhere near as comprehensive.

Graybeak
    Participant

They certainly have a different definition of the word premium than I do.
    I wonder how long before this trickles down to 10tv.com.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Columbus Dickspatch

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I think it would be a smarter move for them to include this for their regular subscribers. I’m not 100% sure but I think that’s how the NYT does it. Doing it this way is kind of a slap in the face to those of us who do subscribe to the print edition.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I seem to recall The Dispatch having a paywall in the early-to-mid 2000s, but they took it down.

Will be interesting to see how their audience and customers respond to this.

ricospaz
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Columbus Dickspatch

+1 – made me laugh. I’m online chattng with them now. I’m paid thru 11/11/12 yet they expect me to do an initial payment to change my subscription to include the online edition!

ricospaz
    Participant

Damn and they can’t make the change until tomorrow. Guess I’ll have to be like everyone else and go buy today’s paper..

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ricospaz said:
    Guess I’ll have to be like everyone else and go buy today’s paper..

I’m not quite sure that’s what everyone else will do.

ricospaz
    Participant

haha well I can’t burn the building down.. I need my news. Sports on CU are lacking. :)

th0m
    Participant

In theory you might be able to Google the article title, and then click on the link from there, or possibly also change the “agent” in your browser to be the same as the Google indexing robot. Both of these options work on many paywalled sites because they can’t take the hit from not being indexed or findable from Google.

That being said, this is theft, and not theft in an MP3 of a CD you’d never buy anyway kind of theft that supports some kind of entrenched monopoly that steals from artists… well, maybe at least not entirely… but this is however a great opportunity to think about your choices in news and who you do want to buy (or not buy) news from.

Newspapers never have been in the business of selling news. Maybe Bloomberg information services, or having a subscription to the AP wire, that’s perhaps buying news.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

New York Times and the Nation Magazine both charge about $2/mo for online stories above a certain number (I believe it’s 10 stories like Dispatch). I do pay for it each month, I hate having paper lying around.

It sucks that people who already get the paper delivered have to pay extra for it, kind of a salty move.

Since I only read online, I’ll pay the monthly fee.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ricospaz said:
    I need my news. Sports on CU are lacking. :)

Nowhere else on the internet for sports coverage outside of The Dispatch?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 282 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER