Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Development Map

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Columbus Development Map

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

mbeaumont
    Participant

I started a Google Map with many of the higher profile downtown area developments. I tried to include relevant links and render pics of each project.

Needless to say, it’s pretty amazing to see all the activity in one place.

This is just a start, if you want to contribute to the map, PM me your email address and I’ll add you to the share list.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203844471182672114807.0004e42d101aeb0d43112&msa=0&ll=39.971003,-82.996044&spn=0.046373,0.090895

jbcmh81
    Participant

Nice. I think I have the majority of major recent developments on my blog list here: http://allcolumbusdata.com/?page_id=12 if that will help. Also, and I know this would be more work for you, but it could be interesting to use different color pins for different types of developments, or different colors for different years. I don’t know if that’s possible, though.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Very nice work on the map so far, Mike! :D

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Great map, very resourceful. I would add a few others though:

1. CMA expansion
    2. Hawthorne Grove apts
    3. Apts above Two Fish
    4. Proposed apts behind the Hubbard Grille
    5. High & Gay (SW corner) office to apt conversion
    6. North Campus Dorms
    7. North High Library Branch
    8. Scioto River Greenway
    9. Spring and Neilston apts
    10. Wonderbread Lofts
    11. Apt conversion on Buttles and Dennison

TomB
    Participant

I am a cartographer by trade and its nice to see all of this in one map. Some additions I thought of: Art Museum addition at Washington and Broad, announced addition to the east side of the main library overlooking the park, Cristo Rey renovation of the building next to the library at Town and Grant and the removal of the Main Street Dam.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Thanks, guys! Yeah, it’s certainly not comprehensive at this point. I’ll continue to add more. And let me know if you want to help!

TomB
    Participant

More ideas…. Orange Barrell Media headquarters in Franklinton, Port Columbus interior renovations, Riverside Hospital expansion, Columbus Crossroads ( I-670/70/71 interchanges), LeVeque Tower renovation.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Adding some of the above recommendations. Also made blue pins for major renovation projects, red pins for new builds.

Maybe I should do green pins for developments that are replacing parking lots? :)

geoyui
    Participant

Awesome job mbeaumont. With everything going recently, new development her, new build there, it’s great to see it in a visual overview.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mbeaumont said:
    Maybe I should do green pins for developments that are replacing parking lots? :)

This is a completely separate project, but it would be cool to see a map of all surface lots that have disappeared Downtown since 2000, or are projected to disappear in the near future (CSCC, Neighborhood Launch, etc).

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

mbeaumont said:
    Adding some of the above recommendations. Also made blue pins for major renovation projects, red pins for new builds.

Yellow dots for transportation related projects.

tonloc620
    Participant

don’t forget the Bishop’s Walk extension

heresthecasey
    Participant

Very nice map!

I would maybe add the new Driving Park library, Homeport’s ongoing projects in Nobo (21st St) and American Addition, the Franklinton Art Lofts, the new Westgate Dirty Franks, Wagenbrenners renovation work on 11th Ave, the Barrett School redevelopment in Merion Village, and COTA’s proposed BRT for Cleveland Ave.

Spread some love out to the rest of the city ;)

rory
    Participant

I’m don’t see Weinland Park sharing the love on the map. I’d add the renovation of the New Indianola Historic District – now called Grant Commons – between N. 4th and Grant.

23 duplexes and row houses being renovated to market rate apartments. Total project cost: $12,609,992 with $2,996,686 in state and federal historic tax credits. Sure to be Weinland Park’s next award-winning project.

Columbus-Grant Commons (OHPTC)

And there’s always the Columbus Coated Fabric site.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Hey guys, as far as omissions, I should mention a few things.

1. I originally just did the map for fun, for myself. I live in Italian Village and work downtown, so my interest mainly was in these areas. When I started the map I really just cruised through the Development forum on CU. So if it hasn’t been discussed in the last few months, it’s probably not on the map!

2. I’m trying to stick to projects that are currently underway or look like they’ll be breaking ground soon so it doesn’t become too speculative. With that in mind, I haven’t included projects like the Franklinton Arts Lofts until they’re more concrete.

3. I only have so much time on my hands to work on this, but I am all for crowdsourcing! If you’re passionate about a certain neighborhood (say Weinland Park or Franklinton) I’d be happy to add you to the Map share so you can add projects as well. Just let me know if you’re interested in helping!

In the meantime, I’ll keep adding some of the projects mentioned as time allows. Thanks for all the input!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE