Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus' Curbside Recycling Bins

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus' Curbside Recycling Bins

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

c_odden
    Participant

(1) Today I got an email from Leslie Strader, with the mayor’s office of Environmental Stewardship. She and I have been talking about the blue curbside recycling Toters. They don’t have any drainage, and Rumpke’s practice has been to leave the lid open after collection (in part, they say, to indicate that the bin has been emptied).

We observed that the bins collect water, and that means they’re mosquito farms. Leslie worked with Rumpke to change their operating practice, and Rumpke says they’ll now close the lids post-collection.

I’d really appreciate hearing from you as to whether your lids are getting closed during the next couple months, either via PM or post.

(2) In the OSU area, some bins go unused for months while others are overflowing every week. Leslie said that sharing containers is allowable, but you should “discuss these arrangements with your neighbors to ensure all parties agree.”

(3) Also, some bins get used as trash cans, or aren’t being picked up regularly. If you see a neglected bin (a full one), a 311 call is totally appropriate. Rumpke is required to notify the city every time a bin is skipped due to its contents (as in, it contains trash rather than recycling).

Josh_W
    Josh_W
    Participant

I noticed the drainage issue n the first couple weeks of receiving mine, and just fixed it with a 3/8″ drill bit. ;)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I would drill mine too, but it lives in the garage so this isn’t an issue. If it catches rainwater after service, I just tip it and let it dry.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Same. I was surprised the manufacture didn’t think of that though.

Also, call me selfish, but I don’t want to share my bin. For something that only gets picked up every two weeks, I need my space. Some neighbors moved a few weeks back and started using our bin as they were clearing out and I almost lost it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Our bins were closed the last time they were emptied.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It has been an interesting experiment, though. Back in the days of the red tubs, mine were the only ones in sight up and down the street. Now almost every house has the blue rolled out, and there’s a hell of a lot of stuff that isn’t going into the trash stream.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE