Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Cross Walks a Hazzard For Pedestrians

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Cross Walks a Hazzard For Pedestrians

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Great video, Ms. Mary.

That video was taken on a relatively nice day. Picture that same intersection on a snowy, rainy, sleety or typical Ohio day-yikes! Cars can’t brake as quickly in snow/rain/ice and pedestrians might be too busy watching their footing to be able to dodge cars, Frogger style.

I work with a very sweet man who is developmentally disabled. He was ticketed for jay-walking across High Street on a mostly calm morning recently (8am in the Short North yields very little traffic). If the cops can ticket the mostly harmless jay-walkers that aggressively, couldn’t they use the same action towards the folks speeding through these intersections?

DAMES BOND

Wow…that takes the cake! I think the cop must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. Or perhaps he didn’t get any the night before. OR perhaps he just needed to get his machismo in gear for the day. Poor guy who got ticketed!

joev
    Participant

lizless wrote Great video, Ms. Mary.

That video was taken on a relatively nice day. Picture that same intersection on a snowy, rainy, sleety or typical Ohio day-yikes! Cars can’t brake as quickly in snow/rain/ice and pedestrians might be too busy watching their footing to be able to dodge cars, Frogger style.

I work with a very sweet man who is developmentally disabled. He was ticketed for jay-walking across High Street on a mostly calm morning recently (8am in the Short North yields very little traffic). If the cops can ticket the mostly harmless jay-walkers that aggressively, couldn’t they use the same action towards the folks speeding through these intersections?

I don’t think you can call one case “aggresive.” I’m OK with enforcing jaywalking laws – it’s for my own safety. I walk to/from downtown every day, mostly along the S. High Street corridor. In three years, I haven’t had any problems other than some people who are really eager to turn right. The one way streets are definitely more dangerous. I think flashing lights and brighter paint in the crosswalks would be the most help quick fix.

turbo ninja
    Participant

I appreciate the point the video is trying to make, but it’s hard to assume as a motorist that those people are actively trying to cross the street. I’ll yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk if it looks like they’re trying to cross and not just standing on a corner. I can’t remember – does the crosswalk at that intersection have the stripes across the roadway, or is it just the signage? I thought a “pedestrian crosswalk” had to have the stripes on the road to give walkers the right-of-way.

Easton’s crosswalks all (or almost all) have signs in the middle that say something like “All vehicles must yield to pedestrians in crosswalk.”

Not only are they handy reminders but they also make great visual aids if a car tries to cut off a pedestrian in mid-cross. Stop in your tracks, point helpfully to the sign, and encourage the driver to pay some goddam attention while assuring him/her that they can wait five more seconds to get to Pottery Barn.

honavery

I’ve seen the cops downtown ticket people who cross state street when the light is flashing don’t walk (right after it tells you to walk). $75!

CaD

I’ll stop for pedestrians IN the road. I’m not stopping ever when you are standing on the side of the road to cross.

Why?

Kinda like what Walker posted.

I’m not trying to stop in the middle of the road to have some soccer mom crush the rear of my car.

No thanks.

DAMES BOND

There aren’t any stripes on the road and while these folks look lax in crossing the street, I think it is from years of “dealing” with this particular cross walk and the potential danger that drivers don’t recognize them as walkers.

Some chose to stand on the curb, while others are clearly in the street. Even so, they are almost unrecognizable. Perhaps due to the wideness of the road.

Daz
    Participant

CaD wrote I’ll stop for pedestrians IN the road. I’m not stopping ever when you are standing on the side of the road to cross.

Is that not the law here?

I mean, aren’t you legally obligated to stop for people who are waiting at crosswalks?

misskitty
    Participant

Are Crosswalks a hazard for pedestrians? Sometimes I think so …. As I was making a trip to Sawmill yesterday, I noticed a crosswalk right on the freeway ramp ?!?!?!?!?! Really WTF???

Really though who really thought this was a great place for cross walk? It is also worth noting this is not a stopping lane additionally there are no yield signs or anything.

leftovers

That is pretty bad. There are some other places where I am surprised to see pedestrians. I am constantly amazed when I see people walking on the circular part by the highways that connects Grandview Ave with McKinley. They really should add some safer way for pedestrians to get to the Central Ave area of Franklinton.

misskitty
    Participant

Right lol
    Then after looking at the Google maps, I noticed there is another cross walks on the other side right where people are entering the freeway that is crazy. I really cannot understand who thought that was being pedestrian friendly.

Itanimulli
    Participant

From looking at Google maps, it appears as though this sidewalk only runs from Dublin Center Drive to the Perry Township offices. Perhaps to give pedestrians some sort of guidance for crossing the interchange in a somewhat safe manner. I also notice that the sidewalk is only on the Dublin side of Sawmill Road.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

misskitty said:
    Really though who really thought this was a great place for cross walk? It is also worth noting this is not a stopping lane additionally there are no yield signs or anything.

So these are the crosswalks that get people down Sawmill Road? Should there just be no way to traverse Sawmill by foot?

MRipley
    Participant

Daz said:
    Is that not the law here?
    I mean, aren’t you legally obligated to stop for people who are waiting at crosswalks?

If so, why would they have crosswalk lights? (yeah, I know this is an old post, but it’s an interesting question)

misskitty
    Participant

Walker said:
    So these are the crosswalks that get people down Sawmill Road? Should there just be no way to traverse Sawmill by foot?

Dude, of course I expect people to walk down Sawmill do not nitpick. However, I will assume you want some kind of constructive answer so how about a yield signs for cars or pedestrians that are exiting or entering the Freeway? Alternatively, perhaps a nice raised crosswalk over the exit…. I mean that does not sound too crazy from where I am. Do you know that since there is not a stop sign or light at the exit and it is a non-merging lane, which means no one slows down because they do not have to so were talking about cars coming off the freeway at 65? I’m really just noting the poor planning that is all I was pointing out and it is a fucked up place for a cross walk.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE