Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus concert-goers getting fleeced.

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus concert-goers getting fleeced.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    The people from bands I like keep dying.

sad.

while we’re on this bitchfest, I HATE the LC pavilion. Worst venue I’ve ever been in.

pilsner
    Participant

Yeah, I shoulda put in the title that my bitch is about arena events. And don’t get me started about Ticketmaster.

paranoidandroid said:
    Here I thought this was simply going to be an anti-Ticketmaster thread suggesting local concert-goers avoid Ticketmaster’s “convenience fees” by purchasing tickets from local venues’ box offices to avoid being fleeced out of $6-7 per ticket by Ticketmaster.

I understand it’s convenient for me to search, order, pay, and print my own ticket(s) online, but why does Ticketmaster have to charge me $6-7 for doing their work?

pilsner
    Participant

Just because the music biz is rigged from top to bottom doesn’t mean people should give the local arena cartel a pass. Think of it this way….the only soda pop available is Coke and Pepsi and they are really managed by a representative of Pepsi who sets prices for each. You’d be ok with that kinda monopoly capitalism in the marketplace?

Cbusbill said:
    pilsner – most acts that hit the schott or nationwide are also traveling to nearby cities (pittsburgh, cleveland, detroit, indy, cincy). not asking for an 18 month fact finding mission, but do you have any examples of where the columbus ticket prices were materially different from what fans paid attending the same concerts in other nearby cities? i kinda expected that to be the first point made, given the thread title. without that info in your back pocket, i honestly don’t follow your argument.

dogfart
    Participant

what shows are we not getting

help me out here

dogfart
    Participant

im sorry concerts

pez
    Participant

pilsner said:
    What they don’t admit to is that the collusion influences how ticket prices are set. Again, this goes back to Econ 101.

But

A lack of transparency influences how the ticket prices are set. Performer holdbacks and Ticketmaster’s own purchases to feed their own secondary market artificially drive demand. But as long as we have scalpers selling for more than face value, there is proof that the true value is higher than what the venue is asking.

Ideally, you would have some form of demand management ala the airline industry where non-transferrable tickets are sold to named individuals at the true market value based on the market desire for the tickets.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

Do you really want to blow your mind? Ticketmaster and Live Nation merged a couple years ago to form Live Nation Entertainment. So they control the artists and the ticket prices and fees, not to mention the merch at the merch booth. LNE owns over a hundred venues throughout the country including House of Blues and also contracts with many more venues. My guess is that they have an agreement with Nationwide based on the high number of artists on their roster performing there like Swift, Bieber, One Direction, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Bob Dylan, and Selena Gomez.

Bruce Springsteen said “…the one thing that would make the current ticket situation even worse for the fan than it is now would be Ticketmaster and Live Nation coming up with a single system, thereby returning us to a near monopoly situation in music ticketing”. Rolling Stone 2/4/2009

pilsner
    Participant

Thanks for the education.

Liner Notes said:
    Do you really want to blow your mind? Ticketmaster and Live Nation merged a couple years ago to form Live Nation Entertainment. So they control the artists and the ticket prices and fees, not to mention the merch at the merch booth. LNE owns over a hundred venues throughout the country including House of Blues and also contracts with many more venues. My guess is that they have an agreement with Nationwide based on the high number of artists on their roster performing there like Swift, Bieber, One Direction, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Bob Dylan, and Selena Gomez.

Bruce Springsteen said “…the one thing that would make the current ticket situation even worse for the fan than it is now would be Ticketmaster and Live Nation coming up with a single system, thereby returning us to a near monopoly situation in music ticketing”. Rolling Stone 2/4/2009

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

Great Thread….

Here’s hoping that necessity becomes the mother of competition. Competition for TicketMaster

Aside from that. There may be a positive effect to the greed. I can only hope it drives people to smaller venues, local talent, and other entertainment that “cuts out the middle man” and gets more money in the hands of artists. Could be an opportunity to explore the local scene and find some things you like.

Ticketmaster stuff is typically the “processed food” of the music world anyways.

melikecheese
    Participant

This would have some more meat on it if someone would have compared ticket prices for the same tours across multiple cities to see if cities with more competition actually have cheaper concert tickets then we in Columbus do for the same show.

I’d do that, but I just don’t care about this.

RedStorm
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION