Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Commons - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Columbus Commons – News & Updates

Viewing 11 posts - 541 through 551 (of 551 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Analogue Kid said:
    They started working on the building today. Lots of interior demolition appears to be happening.

Funny. I literally just walked by it 15 minutes ago and just noticed the construction too. ;)

heresthecasey
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    They started working on the building today. Lots of interior demolition appears to be happening.

Good to see that space filled finally, but the plans for the advertising scrim and the removal of the fire escape are going to pretty much destroy that great old building’s character.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some nice new planters were just installed on the south end of the park by the seating areas. Gives it a bit more of a better “entrance” from Rich Street:

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    Good to see that space filled finally, but the plans for the advertising scrim and the removal of the fire escape are going to pretty much destroy that great old building’s character.

Do we know what is moving into that space?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Not that Tom said:
    Do we know what is moving into that space?

Heartland Bank:

Columbus Commons – News & Updates

geoyui
    Participant

News
    Participant

Tortilla Replacing Late Night Slice at Columbus Commons
    February 6, 2015 11:33 am – Walker Evans

There’s some changes afoot at Columbus Commons this year. Jeni’s will be making its return, but newcomer Tortilla has been announced as a replacement for Mikey’s Late Night Slice, which is expanding into a full service restaurant nearby.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/tortilla-replacing-late-night-slice-at-columbus-commons

heresthecasey
    Participant

<rant>

The large blank wall on the back of the Ohio Theater continues to really bother me when visiting Columbus Commons. Right now it’s an eyesore (even moreso than HighPoint), but it could be so easily fixed! And it could become an attractive, signature part of the park and of the city.

Downtown Boston had a similarly ugly, large blank wall fronting a prominent public park as a result of the Big Dig project. Creatively, they began a program in collaboration with the city’s major art museums (MFA/ICA) to turn the unattractive empty space into a large and highly-visible canvas for public art.

Every year, a new artist is chosen and the wall is repainted. The murals have turned into quite an attraction of their own, and also greatly improve and enliven the Greenway park space they front onto.

I think something similar would work well here and really improve and help to “complete” Columbus Commons. Imagine a collaboration between CDDC, Cap South, GCAC, and maybe nearby developers (Carter/Kaufman/LC) to sponsor an annual mural by an artist to fill this empty, non-contributing space. It could be curated by an organization like the Wex, CMA, or OSU’s Urban Arts Space to ensure a high-quality and attractive/thoughtful piece.

I’m not sure if anything like this has been explored, but IMO it’s really the number one thing that could be done to make the Commons a better space.

Below are some different images of the Dewey Square mural in Boston,

</rant>

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I definitely agree that wall needs something. I always thought a green wall would be cool

Or some sort of metallic skin sculpture.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Here’s a link to a video of the second one. It covers a parking garage in Charlotte and moves with the wind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=31&v=ZDPqrA4-jK0

ohbr
    Participant

I echo the green wall idea. That’s always a favorite of mine. It might be interesting to do a mixed elements wall with plants, architectural elements, and art that is framed in some manner and change it out like the short north murals. No matter what is done, I wouldn’t say the commons is “complete” until this wall is taken care of. The same could almost be said for the north facade of the commons parking deck. It’s going to look even more unattractive when all the projects finish up.

Edit: in general columbus needs to work harder on public art in the core. We have an ok start with the light and the deer but I’d love to see more. From the commons and especially all the potential that the Greenways brings to a memorable scultpure park and murals under the broad street bridge.

Viewing 11 posts - 541 through 551 (of 551 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION