Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Commons - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Columbus Commons – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 551 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I look at the silver lining in this. It may seem a setback to have more green space and less mixed use development. In the end having that space available will make many of the properties through that 3rd street corridor much more attractive.

Combined with the Front Street conversion and Scioto Mile there is a lot of potential for creative things to happen.

Octoberfest could potentially locate on the space, moving it closer to GV if a solution doesn’t present itself. CAPA is looking at a series of events. Summer kick ball leagues could be greatly expanded after the set back this past year or so. Pearl Market could potentially expand-how awesome would it be to grab some stuff from the main market strip and catch a pedicab (or walk) to the Commons for a lunchtime concert? Thinking outside of the box this has far greater potential for the area than an expanded mixed use development.

I remember when Easton first opened. It was big, new and shiny. I remember my family and I went up there quite a bit to walk around and grab dinner. My friends and I through the last part of high school and first year or so of college would often meet up there for coffee, a movie and a walk around. Now I can’t tell you when the last time was that I was up there.

I think long term the greater amount of green space can only be a good thing by creating plenty of new and unique opportunities that can draw people in. There is no shortage of available property in the immediate area ripe for development. Improve and calm the streets (like Front) and work to expand options like Everyone Bikes and the area will blossom.

seanguy

Life on two wheels I see your point on the potential for the green space.

I think it should be cleared up that what was so great about redeveloping the site in parcels was that this wasn’t a mixed use development like Easton.

The idea was to in a more organic/urban way turn the land over in pieces to differenct developers and allowing them to decide the proper use for the land. You would have a high rise next to an apartment building next to a medium rise office building. And a stipulation could be added to have retail on every ground floor.

In the end you would have an organic, dense, and urban environment that surrounds the park. Truly the land is large enough that a whole new dense neighborhood could fit in there.

Instead of pushing some low-rise nonsense into the area (such as Easton as you mentioned), they were waiting for the market to achieve more demand for the land and this would allow development of better quality and hopefully higher size to be built on the site. Not to mention by different developers.

They were dreaming big with the project. Now we may end up with some medium rise buildings and a nice big park. I wouldn’t call them comparable goals (in terms of added economic growth, residential numbers, and the overall urban landscape impact.)

joev
    Participant

I wonder if demand for the space were great enough 10 years down the road, that underground parking garage could be reinforced to allow development above.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Just a quick aside, going back to some of my earlier comments on this project:

If the underground garage won’t support the larger buildings, would it at least support a smaller scale building similar to the North Market layout?

Not saying something to compete with or replace NM, just something that could be used as an incubator for small businesses downtown. Offer a reasonable lease rate to entrepenuaers -be it retail or food service-that would allow them to test the waters, establish some type of customer base and develop their product. There is a lot of potential for creative partnerships between the city, local banks downtown, the area business schools, the chamber and other business groups to help foster the ACEs (as walker put it) in developing our downtown.

HeySquare
    Participant

Seanguy, I have to say… I’m not sure I agree with you. I understand that people want dense buildings and development to provide a vibrant community; however, with all of the new residential construction people will more than ever need a downtown park.

I never really thought about the need for a downtown park until I heard Frank Elmer speak a few years ago at an event (I can’t remember what event it was, just the comment he made) that Columbus really needs a downtown park. I pooh poohed the comment at the time… thinking the same thing… what downtown really needs is development… but I come to realize the wisdom of his words.

There is *plenty* of development opportunity along the High Street corridor… as mulitple people have pointed out– there are empty storefronts lining High Street, and surface lots abound. There is ample opportunity for infill development. But the city will likely never get another opportunity to create a park downtown of this scale. And people will need some accessible open space if residential development is to continue. And it has to be within walking distance. If you look at parks like Schiller and Goodale… they are PACKED with people. Even the Topiary Park at the Deaf School pulls a pretty good crowd.

And as Mercurius has pointed out in many different threads on this board… Columbus needs its piazza… a gathering place in the heart of the city. I really think that this will become that place.

Hael

This space as well as other dead spaces in downtown should be used for tenant farming and yoga.

I have nothing but good feelings about this. There is a ridiculous amount of empty space in buildings all around “the Commons” that already exist and will be immediately more attractive for redevelopment. The 4-6 parking lots directly adjacent to the site would be prime locations for new high-rise development. I’d rather have more park with new development replacing surface lots than less park with new development (taking up what coud have been green space) surrounded by surface lots and half vacant buildings…

HeySquare
    Participant

Hael wrote >>
    This space as well as other dead spaces in downtown should be used for tenant farming and yoga.

Oh ye of little faith. When Pearl Jam plays their 50th anniversary concert in the Commons Ampitheater in 2040, you aren’t invited. :)

lifeliberty
    Participant

I think this park will be a nice place for Greyhound bus patrons to sit while waitin for their buses. Also, I hope the park has some toilets, as since the city center has closed, there isn’t really any close public toilets for people to go, hence the reason someone took a crap in the city center parking deck stairwell over the weekend. If the park can resolve this one issue, I’ll be happy.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I’m thrilled that this project is finally going to get started but I cannot disagree more with the three buildings fronting High St. This will close off the park to High St. Why would we close off a gem of a park to the main pedestrian and traffic artery of the city? Can anyone say out of sight, out of mind. There are plenty of empty storefronts already. Take care of those first. Build the mixed use buildings on Rich St. and abutting the existing buildings along Town St. and keep the park open to High. Think of Millenium Park in Chicago. It’s open to Michigan Ave. People walking by see it and are automatically drawn into it and its various structures and sculptures. Speaking of aesthetics, this park looks very bland. I know it’s probably a rough rendering but I see no fountains, scuptures or much public art of any sort. It’s all about the eye candy and experience. It should be a true centerpiece. I don’t want to experience a bunch of grass and concrete and a few flower beds. I can do that anywhere. It’s typcial and normal and that’s not what I want to see. All of that aside, I’m still happy to see City Center come down.

CbusIslander
    Participant

I will hold judgement till I see “built out” renderings and more detail drawings of the park itself. I am glad that city center is still coming down. I was wondering about the delay. I do agree that there are other locations that high rises could happen.

Not to get off topic but I was wondering about getting additional information on the Unnamed Office Tower and the Dispatch Tower stated in the morpc document? (Page 13)

http://www.morpc.org/trans/MORPC2030LandUseForecasts.pdf

kessler
    Participant

Central City Recording wrote >>
    I have nothing but good feelings about this. There is a ridiculous amount of empty space in buildings all around “the Commons” that already exist and will be immediately more attractive for redevelopment. The 4-6 parking lots directly adjacent to the site would be prime locations for new high-rise development. I’d rather have more park with new development replacing surface lots than less park with new development (taking up what coud have been green space) surrounded by surface lots and half vacant buildings…

Agreed.
    Not meaning to go off topic but;
    I’d love to see more surface lots do a 2-3 level underground parking with green space at street level.
    Back on topic.
    I can’t wait for this projects completion! Don’t forget the bike racks!

surber17
    Participant

I only have one issue (and since these are preliminary drawings it might not be an issue at all); why would we have an amphitheater 3 blocks from another one? The Scioto Mile is already in the process on building a pretty large one. I don’t care where they build it, but just pick one spot please.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Can’t hurt things. can it?

Smaller scale one on the Commons for some summer lunch time programing and the larger riverfront one for festivals and what not.

gramarye
    Participant

Greenspace has the potential to be a net value enhancement for nearby properties. Not all parks and greenspaces are such positives, however–and, with all due respect to the “pocket parks” movement, smaller ones are often the biggest liabilities. The little green area currently at the corner of High & Rich is a prime example. It’s forbidding and uninviting. It’s just big enough to break up what could otherwise be a continuous, vibrant streetscape and just small enough that there’s really not much you could do on it even if it were more inviting.

I’m not automatically writing it off as a bad idea. The city may surprise me. That said, I’m feeling more lukewarm than sunny on this prospect, and I’m starting to see why NRI decided to go elsewhere (i.e., Grandview Yard) rather than continuing to involve themselves with this project.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 551 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION