Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Commons Outdoor Ice Rink- Winter 2012

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus Commons Outdoor Ice Rink- Winter 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

bjones7
    Participant

After emailing Columbus Commons about having a Outdoor Ice Rink at Columbus Commons last year and now this year, and having them tell me that there might be a possibility for one in the future, I’m turning to CU for your opinion. Would anyone else agree that an Outdoor Ice Rink- sponsored by the Chiller or CBJ, would be a great addition to Columbus Commons during the winter months? I would think that it would attract more people to Columbus Commons during those bone cold months.

geoyui
    Participant

I remember they had a free standing one in the streets a couple years ago. Are you thinking for the full winter season on the grass? What would the maintenance issues be for the landscaping?

I’m all for it btw.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

What would be the costs associated with maintaining this rink. If the Chiller already has a rink open (which they do[/url]) how would this second rink affect their budget and personnel? Why not just go to the Ice Haus?

bjones7
    Participant

geoyui said:
    I remember they had a free standing one in the streets a couple years ago. Are you thinking for the full winter season on the grass? What would the maintenance issues be for the landscaping?

I’m all for it btw.

Sure I understand by building a platform it would damage the grass around it, but you make a profit to replace the grass. I’m not saying that it should be free, but as reasonably priced as going to the Chiller.

bjones7
    Participant

mrsgeedeck said:
    What would be the costs associated with maintaining this rink. If the Chiller already has a rink open (which they do[/url]) how would this second rink affect their budget and personnel? Why not just go to the Ice Haus?

I sad CBJ, or Ice haus would be fine. I’m not saying that my post has all the details. I’m sure these details of pricing,sponsorship,etc WOULD CHANGE. My point is, why wouldn’t you want one at Columbus Commons.

bjones7
    Participant

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    I sad CBJ, or Ice haus would be fine. I’m not saying that my post has all the details. I’m sure these details of pricing,sponsorship,etc WOULD CHANGE. My point is, why wouldn’t you want one at Columbus Commons.

And my response is essentially…because the Ice Hause is 5 blocks away (and has ample parking). Don’t get me wrong, an outdoor rink seems cool, but at what cost.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Anyone remember the Centrum outdoor ice rink

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/a-look-back/2010/12/holiday_on_ice_1980_1.html

This was there before they built the city center mall. It would be deliciously ironic to come full circle.

Although, in a way it might be interesting to put up a temporary rink of some kind surrounded by a display of 20th century history exhibits. Perhaps dig up some Ameriflora and Son of Heaven exhibit posters. And some advertising poster pics of the old city center mall. (if any of these still exist), and pics of the state penn and penn demolition.

chaptal
    Participant

About ten years ago, maybe less, there was an ice rink and ferris wheel on the south lawn of the Statehouse. The rink did not do badly, despite a very cold winter. The ferris wheel was not a good idea.

geoyui
    Participant

I agree that costs are certainly an issue, but there’s something to be said for ice skating outside, at night. It seems more part of the city “environment” and an attraction to enjoy the outdoors.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

chaptal said:
    About ten years ago, maybe less, there was an ice rink and ferris wheel on the south lawn of the Statehouse. The rink did not do badly, despite a very cold winter. The ferris wheel was not a good idea.

2005: http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/skate-on-state-november-15th-through-january-1st

2006: http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/skate-on-state-returns-nov-17-dec-31

Cancelled in 2007: http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/no-ice-rink-slated-for-downtown-this-winter

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I liked last years little holiday fest they had. I hope they do it again this year, only bigger.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

We already have a lot of ice rinks throughout the Columbus Metro, plus Nationwide and Ice Haus downtown. I think it would have a lower turnout then expected.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bjones7 said:
    After emailing Columbus Commons about having a Outdoor Ice Rink at Columbus Commons last year and now this year, and having them tell me that there might be a possibility for one in the future, I’m turning to CU for your opinion. Would anyone else agree that an Outdoor Ice Rink- sponsored by the Chiller or CBJ, would be a great addition to Columbus Commons during the winter months? I would think that it would attract more people to Columbus Commons during those bone cold months.

I do agree that it would be a good idea, and have often said I’d love to see a permanent structure at the Commons that could function as a skating rink in the winter and shallow fountain pool in the summer. Not sure if there’s room for it in the middle area, or if the garage structure below could support the added weight, but it sounds nice on paper. ;)

I think it’s a little late to request this for 2012 seeing as it’s already November. I recall the rink in 2005/2006 seeming well attended when we visited, but the ferris wheel didn’t work out very well in cold weather. I think the rink would be a good fit come 2014 once the new apartments and retail is open at the Commons and there’s more energy in the area all around.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Having seen the Somerset House ice rink in London, I think that in front of COSI (between the building and the river) would be a great location for a temporary outdoor rink. You’d get the city skyline backdrop and it’s a venue that families already go to so people could combine a visit.
    If it had a bar/lounge like the London one, it might help to pay for itself.

http://www.somersethouse.org.uk/ice-rink

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: