Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

HighPoint at Columbus Commons

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development HighPoint at Columbus Commons

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 611 total)
  • Author
    Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I was thinking more along the lines of an assisted living community… Although Westminster-Thurber residents enjoy the added luxury of being able to open their windows compared to HP

westminster-thurber highpointfail

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Agreed. If nothing else, it serves that functional purpose.

It also… you know… provides a whole lot of housing for a whole lot of people. Don’t forget about that function.

columbusmike
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>
    I can’t believe people are hatin’ on Fort Highpoint’s design. :)

It’s not a fort – it’s a re-imagined early 1800s Massachusetts Georgian style textile factory. Sheesh!

Actually, that building looks better because it’s not trying to be anything but a simple building. HighPoint on the other hand, I’m not sure what it’s trying to be!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>
    Agreed. If nothing else, it serves that functional purpose.

It also… you know… provides a whole lot of housing for a whole lot of people. Don’t forget about that function.

Of course. This is implicit in the development’s ability to spur further development.

JStaker017
    Participant

From the Business First article yesterday (http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/10/photo-tour-12-story-250-s-high-st-tops-out-marking.html) they mention that 250 South High already has a restaurant user in the works.

“”We also have a restaurant user,” he let on, “that we’re really close to announcing.””

Amazing to see how the market responds to quality and not generic garbage like Highpoint. High Point is arguably a much better location for a restaurant with better visibility from the park yet a user has chosen to wait until next June to be in a quality building instead of moving into a ready to go space in Highpoint. I realize there are other factors but it’s just an observation.

WJT
    Participant

Maybe at some time Kaliningrad at Columbus Commons will go condo, and there might be an opportunity for an exterior upgrade? Maybe…? There is always hope to cling to.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

If it was built out of concrete instead of bricks it would look exactly like soviet bloc housing. They really phoned in the design of the building.

Columbusrules
    Participant

People have been living in some of the units for a year now, right? But they still have NO restaurant, retail, or grocery on the ground floor. Sigh.

tlb919
    tlb919
    Participant

Soon. All in good time.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

People have been living in some of the units for a year now, right? But they still have NO restaurant, retail, or grocery on the ground floor. Sigh.

There’s a CVS across the street and numerous restaurants (one of which can’t maintain enough traffic to stay open) in the immediate area. Yes it’d probably be nice to walk down the stairs in your building for a meal but there are still plenty of amenities nearby.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

If it was built out of concrete instead of bricks it would look exactly like soviet bloc housing. They really phoned in the design of the building.

In Lithuania I saw ugly Soviet 1960s buildings that were wrapped in chain link to keep masonry from falling to the street.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>OneBagTravel wrote:</div>

In Lithuania I saw ugly Soviet 1960s buildings that were wrapped in chain link to keep masonry from falling to the street.

Like the Madison’s building up the street a couple blocks!

Pro Se
    Participant

I can understand the wait on retail here. Look at the surrounding area. The entire East side block between Rich and Main is under construction and cordoned off. The South West Corner of High and Rich will soon be demolish and barricaded and the North West Corner of High and Rich is already demolished and barricaded. It makes sense to wait both in terms of walk-ability and additional residents from LC and the Julian.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I agree that this area is going to continue to be tough for retail at least until the construction is finished on the other three corners of High & Rich. And keep in mind that the construction on the SW corner hasn’t even started yet. The construction is limiting pedestrian traffic and parking meter availability, which are both super important for retail.

Once that’s done, it means an influx of 1000 new residents in the immediate area (plus the Julian), which will be supportive for some kinds of retail, but might still not be enough to support the kinds of national chains that I assume Highpoint is hoping to attract to pay their high rental rates for brand new class-A retail space. Foot Locker? Bath and Body Works? Maybe not. Panera? Piada? Bibibop? More likely.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the empty older retail spaces across the street. They’re less ideal, older, smaller and probably cheaper too. That’s where we might see some cool things happen in the next few years.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I can’t help but think the Highpoint crew made this vague announcement in an attempt to keep up with the Jones’ across the street at 250 S High…

From the Dispatch this morning:
    Highpoint on Columbus Commons has signed up its first three tenants: a fast casual restaurant; a new cold-press juice company that does not yet have a name; and a mobile-phone store. They are expected to open in the spring.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2014/10/31/sites-near-commons-get-retail-tenants.html

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 611 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: