Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

HighPoint at Columbus Commons

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development HighPoint at Columbus Commons

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 611 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrsgeedeck said:
    While I’ve driven by it, I haven’t been to the Commons yet this year so maybe my mind if fuzzy on its overall size, I just feel like walling off High Street makes this less of a Central Park type city park and more a “oh hey I’ve got a park in my back yard!” park, which is awkward to me.

It certainly does shift the main drive-by visibility of the park to Rich Street, but there are multiple access points to the park from all four directions, which I imagine all will be utilized on foot and bike.

Personally, I don’t think there will be a huge problem with accessibility though. Schiller and Goodale are both separated from High Street by a block of residential units, and it doesn’t hurt their usage by people from all neighborhoods.

If anything, the Commons will probably “feel” a little closer to McPherson Commons in the Arena District after these new units are completed.

columbusmike
    Participant

Pablo said:
    MSI’s original design for the Commons didn’t account for the limitations of the garage below. If you look at their original design vs. what was built, you will see that the orientation of the park was turned 90 deg. and you ended up with more permanent green space. My understanding was that the point behind tearing down the mall was to create developable parcels of land. That’s what the Commons accomplished as witnessed by these apartments. Like jpizzow, I also look forward to a tower at 3rd and Rich. Another interesting thing to consider is that the fountain at Scioto Mile cost more than the entire park budget for the Commons.

You’re exactly right. They turned the park 90 degrees because of structural issues with the below grade parking garage. Unfortunately, “some” decided the parking garage had to stay, so we got stuck with the orientation of the park as it is now. Had they scrapped the underground garage, it would have saved $$$ and we would have gotten a better urban park that opened to High Street. It is what it is. But it’s good to see development is finally going up here….it should make a very nice and intimate park for concerts and events. Should also be a nice surprise! park for guest :)

Pablo
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    You’re exactly right. They turned the park 90 degrees because of structural issues with the below grade parking garage. Unfortunately, “some” decided the parking garage had to stay, so we got stuck with the orientation of the park as it is now. Had they scrapped the underground garage, it would have saved $$$ and we would have gotten a better urban park that opened to High Street. It is what it is. But it’s good to see development is finally going up here….it should make a very nice and intimate park for concerts and events. Should also be a nice surprise! park for guest :)

My understanding is that projected revenue from the garage helped fund the Commons project. You gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.

It will be pretty cool to be a resident with a park view when there’s a concert! You could sit in your apartment in the nude and enjoy Picnic with the Pops and Dennis DeYoung: The Music of Styx!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:
    The RiverSouth neighborhood is really taking shape. What’s UP next?

RiverWest, of course! ;)

Planning Begins for Redevelopment of Scioto Peninsula

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

RiverSouth is no where near completion. But two projects at once? Not at program……….. right?

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

I still think the brick design with little architectural detail is bullocks.

mrpoppinzs

I think this is great news. The developer got a sweetheart deal – $2 million for the land with a 10 year tax abatement. Right time at the right place.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Walker said:
    It certainly does shift the main drive-by visibility of the park to Rich Street, but there are multiple access points to the park from all four directions, which I imagine all will be utilized on foot and bike.

Personally, I don’t think there will be a huge problem with accessibility though. Schiller and Goodale are both separated from High Street by a block of residential units, and it doesn’t hurt their usage by people from all neighborhoods.

If anything, the Commons will probably “feel” a little closer to McPherson Commons in the Arena District after these new units are completed.

1. I had no idea that place had a name, had to Google it.

2. That is not what I’d considering a bustling park. I’ve seen wedding parties taking pictures in the park, but other than that I don’t get the impression its a highly trafficked area.

mrpoppinzs

^ I think the difference with the Commons is that very little events besides an occasional race ending happens there. It also feels like the lawn belongs to an office park. So far the Commons has had a decent event schedule. I hope that does not wither over time.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

The design is very bland! Maybe something a bit taller and more dramatic at the corner of Rich and High..when it comes to the world tower I dont think Columbus knows the meaning, if you read back to the article in the Dispatch about the new Columbubia Gas building they refer to it as a new office “tower” being 6 stories tall.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    The design is very bland! Maybe something a bit taller and more dramatic at the corner of Rich and High..when it comes to the world tower I dont think Columbus knows the meaning, if you read back to the article in the Dispatch about the new AEP building they refer to it as a new office “tower” being 6 stories tall.

New AEP building?

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

oops Columbia Gas.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Haha I was like ummm when did APE announce a new building? But yes, tower isn’t a 6 story MID-rise…. 20+ is usually what I consider a tower. But that is only acurate for me.

columbusmike
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    Check out some of the proposed renderings from a while back.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/04/22/effort-warming-to-circle-columbus.html?s=image_gallery

Those renderings were excellent. Period.

The proposed buildings are architecturally terrible. I hope the downtown commission flexes their muscles and rejects the design, as shown.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 611 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: