Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

HighPoint at Columbus Commons

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development HighPoint at Columbus Commons

• This topic has 610 replies, 106 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Gus WGus W.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 611 total)
  • Author

scorpcmh
    Participant

I am very excited about this happening so soon! I concur with all those who hope it is not yet another red brick yawner of a building.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I am laughing at whoever said that Columbus Commons and the SciotoMile was a waste of public money !

columbusmike
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    The city should put a 5 -10 year moratorium on brick buildings.

The problem isn’t brick. It’s the lack of ornamentation and the application of a select few “historical” elements such as a limestone cornice (the limestone band at the roof). It’s cheap imitation architecture.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

I really don’t feel these will block people from High St. all that much. Actually it might make the commons more intimate. Living in an apartment downtown, I hope they the architects know a thing or two about designing good living spaces (storage lockers, bike storage, security, a lil common space, etc) and also looked to the needs of retailers (will delivers be able to be made out back?). Was kinda hoping the parking lot south of Rich would be included in this.

To those arguing about a bigger or more modern design, I’ll take a well designed people specific block over some flashy expensive building. People on the street over how Cbus looks from a satellite or on a postcard any day IMO. Maybe some more ornate touches, but looking around my neighborhood I’m not gonna get too picky about visuals.

*cough* transit? *cough*

columbusmike
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Yea, I was always against completely hiding High St. from the park…out of sight, out of mind. It would have been nice to leave the corner lot open and maybe install some sort of large interactive art piece to draw people into the park and at least keep the Commons somewhat visible from High.

I would disagree. The Columbus Commons, as nice as it is to have open space downtown, is not exactly aesthetically grand. It will function much better hidden from High Street and utilized as a “back door” park. Unfortunately, MSI Design was not commissioned for the Commons as they have a proven track record of great public space (as evident with the Scioto Mile, Arena District, etc)

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Don’t forget though about the new commons pavilion going up and almost completed I believe.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    I would disagree. The Columbus Commons, as nice as it is to have open space downtown, is not exactly aesthetically grand. It will function much better hidden from High Street and utilized as a “back door” park. Unfortunately, MSI Design was not commissioned for the Commons as they have a proven track record of great public space (as evident with the Scioto Mile, Arena District, etc)

I won’t disagree with the utilization of the park as a “neighborhood” or “community” park, but I do think an opportunity was missed with something somewhat grand at that corner right along the primary spine of the city, given that Columbus is terribly lacking in the public art rhealm.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    The city should put a 5 -10 year moratorium on brick buildings.

I think 5-10 years ago people on here were still saying this.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbus Commons Apartments Announced
    By: Walker

Today, the Columbus Downtown Development Corporation (CDDC) announced formalized plans to begin phase two: the addition of six-story mixed-use apartment buildings along the High Street side of the development.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-commons-apartments-announced

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Is that new lighting for High Street I see?

columbusmike
    Participant

CalebR said:
    Is that new lighting for High Street I see?

Ha…most likely “artistic license” :)

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Ha…most likely “artistic license” :)

Hey, let a guy dream hahaha. But it would be a waste replacing the new lighting with newer lighting….

dru
    Participant

the renderings remind me of taller versions of the Renaissance Condos on Third Street.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

While I’ve driven by it, I haven’t been to the Commons yet this year so maybe my mind if fuzzy on its overall size, I just feel like walling off High Street makes this less of a Central Park type city park and more a “oh hey I’ve got a park in my back yard!” park, which is awkward to me.
    I do recall the original renderings calling for mixed use space and buildings throughout, so maybe my dream of a Central Park was never in the cards.

Pablo
    Participant

columbusmike said:

MSI’s original design for the Commons didn’t account for the limitations of the garage below. If you look at their original design vs. what was built, you will see that the orientation of the park was turned 90 deg. and you ended up with more permanent green space. My understanding was that the point behind tearing down the mall was to create developable parcels of land. That’s what the Commons accomplished as witnessed by these apartments. Like jpizzow, I also look forward to a tower at 3rd and Rich. Another interesting thing to consider is that the fountain at Scioto Mile cost more than the entire park budget for the Commons.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 611 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS