Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

HighPoint at Columbus Commons

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development HighPoint at Columbus Commons

• This topic has 610 replies, 106 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Gus WGus W.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 611 total)
  • Author

columbusmike
    Participant

Columbus Commons is getting some apartments starting this August:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/04/columbus-commons-apartments.html

What a disappointment. The architecture is historically and proportional inaccurate. Moody Nolan never ceases to create incredibly bland architecture.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Finally apartments over the park!! Hopefully these aren’t the final design and they get the Meleca style. Columbus 2012. WOW. It just keeps getting better and better.

tlb919
    tlb919
    Participant

I must agree. It is exciting that these lots are being developed so soon but I think this is a huge missed opportunity for something maybe even just a bit taller and more elaborate/designed for such a core area and focal point of downtown. I am excited to see that there will be ground floor retail on both High St and parkside!

Pablo
    Participant

I think you have to look beyond the architect and look at who is calling the shots. Moody Nolan and the developer, Carter, worked together on The Banks in Cincinnati – more of a contemporary design: http://www.thebankscincy.com/

The buildings are really going to change the feel of High St. – hopefully it will encourage other property owners nearby to upgrade their holdings!

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

What is that noise? Oh the signing of angels. Thank God these apartments are here. BUT I wish it was a little more of a modern design.

futureman
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    Finally apartments over the park!! Hopefully these aren’t the final design and they get the Meleca style. Columbus 2012. WOW. It just keeps getting better and better.

Doubtful as this is already going before the downtown commission next month. Some modifications could occur, but given this is designed to specifically what Capital South wanted, doubtful.

From the Biz Journal article –

“Those specifications include red brick exterior, classical design and maintaining dense retail storefronts on High Street, he said.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/04/04/columbus-commons-getting-50m-retail.html

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

The city should put a 5 -10 year moratorium on brick buildings.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I don’t mind brick buildings UNLESS they don’t have any glass or modern elements. At least, on the positive side, there is ground floor retail.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I know the park was originally designed for mixed use, but I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around these apartments. Won’t this block the commons from High Street? That seems a bit awkward to me.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

CalebR said:
    I don’t mind brick buildings UNLESS they don’t have any glass or modern elements. At least, on the positive side, there is ground floor retail.

I didn’t not don’t never haven’t ever hardly ever.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

mrsgeedeck said:
    I know the park was originally designed for mixed use, but I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around these apartments. Won’t this block the commons from High Street? That seems a bit awkward to me.

There will still be entrances along High Street as mentioned in the article. Also, one side (south) will still be completely open to viewing from the street but you also have tl think, businesses will be facing the park, High St, and the walkways in between High and the park. It will still be very walkable and such.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Yea, I was always against completely hiding High St. from the park…out of sight, out of mind. It would have been nice to leave the corner lot open and maybe install some sort of large interactive art piece to draw people into the park and at least keep the Commons somewhat visible from High.

I really hope a major player/company steps up in need of expansion or relocation and builds a new office tower on the last corner. And when I mean tower, I don’t mean 6 -10 floors. I mean a REAL tower.

In the end, it will be really nice to have lunch or dinner on a patio overlooking the park. It’s something i always wish the developers of Victorian Gate had the foresight for, having patio seating facing Goodale Park.

The RiverSouth neighborhood is really taking shape. What’s UP next?

colrex7

The Downtown Commission should address window size and brick color. Specifically, larger windows need to be added, and the brick color must be pleasing to the eye. These buildings will be highly visible due to it’s location between High Street and the park, and should be aesthetically pleasing.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Yea, I was always against completely hiding High St. from the park…out of sight, out of mind. It would have been nice to leave the corner lot open and maybe install some sort of large interactive art piece to draw people into the park and at least keep the Commons somewhat visible from High.

I really hope a major player/company steps up in need of expansion or relocation and builds a new office tower on the last corner. And when I mean tower, I don’t mean 6 -10 floors. I mean a REAL tower.

In the end, it will be really nice to have lunch or dinner on a patio overlooking the park. It’s something i always wish the developers of Victorian Gate had the foresight for, having patio seating facing Goodale Park.

The RiverSouth neighborhood is really taking shape. What’s UP next?

Hopefully, again I say hopefully. More apartments will come and Columbia Gas Tower will be torn down and a new modern building put there in its place.

buckeye54
    Participant

I think if you’re the owners of buisnesses like mojoe lounge and de novo you have to be pretty excited about this. Hopefully this will create demand and better hours for mojoe as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 611 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS