Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus College of Art & Design - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Columbus College of Art & Design – News & Updates

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

CCAD Plans to Densify Downtown Campus

Published on July 7, 2012 10:45 am

By: Walker

The Columbus College of Art and Design has been a Downtown institution over over 130 years. Over the next ten to twenty years, the school will work toward further integrating with its Downtown surroundings.

A new planning effort from the college calls for the addition of two new student housing buildings that would mimick the five-story Design Square Apartments added by the school in 2009. Older single-story buildings and existing surface parking lots would make way for these residential buildings, as well as the addition of new academic facilities that would allow for the continued growth of the college.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/ccad-plans-to-densify-downtown-campus

News
    Participant

Columbus College of Art & Design plans makeover of Downtown campus to showcase student work
    By Alissa Widman
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Sunday July 8, 2012 6:01 AM

The Columbus College of Art & Design’s revitalization plan calls for reorganizing academic buildings and adding space for students to live on campus. Columbus College of Art & Design is planning campus additions to complement its newly revamped curriculum. School officials recently released a long-term plan that calls for reorganizing academic buildings and adding space for students to live on campus.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/07/08/art-alley.html

bucki12

I read that current enrollment is 1,350 and they would like to eventually increase enrollement to 1,600.

1350 current enrollment
    ~430 live on campus now
    ~200 live nearby

1600 planned enrollment (2016)
    ~800 hoped to live on campus

So it seems they are hoping to build accommodations for 400 more students on campus. Basically doubling on campus housing.

The only caveat I see is the really high cost of a CCAD education and I am wondering how much of the new housing cost and campus revamp will be reflected in overall costs to students. Current tuition and fees are over $30k per year – extraneous of room and board. Freshman are also currently required to live on campus. The spiralling cost of the business of education is worrisome.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bucki12 said:
    The spiralling cost of the business of education is worrisome.

While that’s certainly a valid concern, it’s a much bigger broader issue. I don’t think it should prevent CCAD from planning to grow, expand and densify Downtown.

bucki12

Walker said:
    While that’s certainly a valid concern, it’s a much bigger broader issue. I don’t think it should prevent CCAD from planning to grow, expand and densify Downtown.

I think I should have explained more about what I see as the risks of a collapse of the education bubble, similar to what happened with the housing market. We are still reeling locally from those effects and what the foreclosure market has done to some neighborhoods in Columbus.

I do not think it should prevent CCAD from growing, but student tuition is largely subsidized by a loan market and we have seen what can happen to that, especially as costs and risk increase. CCAD is a relatively small school and I would imagine that over extending itself is possible, especially if the current student loan market changes.

This may just be my own reaction through a peculiar view as I am currently paying student loans while helping another person get them. The amount of unsecured money available is a bit shocking and maybe unsustainable.

News
    Participant

Dennison W. Griffith announces retirement as CCAD president
    Published on August 12, 2013 4:00 pm
    By: Anne

Today, Dennison W. Griffith announced his retirement as president of the Columbus College of Art & Design, a role he has held since 1998. He will retire at the end of his current contract, which runs through June 30, 2014.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/dennison-w-griffith-announces-retirement-as-ccad-president

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

Outgoing CCAD President Denny Griffith Welcomes the Next Chapter
    May 20, 2014 8:00 am – Sally Wenxin Xia

After 16 years of presidency, Denny Griffith, the outgoing CCAD president is “seeing the glass half full”.

“I am allowing myself when down to the point of closure and departure to feel pride,” Griffith said.

Griffith, 61, the former deputy director of Columbus Museum of Arts is retiring from CCAD’s presidency in about a month. However, Griffith has not yet done with the “marathon” he runs with art.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/outgoing-ccad-president-denny-griffith-welcomes-the-next-chapter-sx1

News
    Participant

Self-described as a “passionate advocate for the power of art and design to fuel economic growth and innovation,” Thomas White, became the new president of lead the Columbus College of Art & Design this past June. He will discuss his vision for the school at the next CMC forum on Wednesday, November 5.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

That was fast…

The Columbus College of Art & Design is in the hunt for a new president, again.

Tom White became the school’s fourth leader in June, replacing Denny Griffith. White has “mutually agreed” with the school’s board of trustees to step down immediately, according to a statement.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/03/03/ccad-president-out-after-less-than-a-year.html?ana=e_colum_bn_breakingnews&u=j1eD7NH5a4P9prIDNEWDyjv7UEr&t=1425399342

News
    Participant

‘Cultural disconnect’ behind CCAD president’s short tenure, sources say
    Mar 5, 2015, 12:52pm EST

Tom Knox
    Reporter – Columbus Business First

This week’s departure of Columbus College of Art & Design President Tom White less than a year into his job was a surprise coming so early into his five-year contract. But signs of disharmony were evident soon after the corporate veteran’s arrival on campus, according to several people with ties to the school.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2015/03/cultural-disconnect-behind-ccad-president-s-short.html?page=all

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!