Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City-Wide Curbside Recycling - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City-Wide Curbside Recycling – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 131 total)
  • Author

Graybeak
    Participant

Well, and to be fair to the city, they are not saying “You have to have this big blue bin, forever, or else”
    They are saying, “We are rolling these big blue bins out to everyone, and after that, if you decide that you don’t want it, we will take it back”
    City FAQ

And if anyone needs an extra, 3 weeks later there are still about 20 or so in my neighborhood in front of vacant houses, and the houses of people who just don’t care.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    Most of the 300 gallon containers I see are in pretty rough shape. Lids busted off, cracks and even ones that have huge holes in them. I don’t know if that’s due to the materials, their design or their sheer size. Perhaps when replacements are ordered they might be able to be smaller since the recycling bins will accept some of the trash volume. But the trash bins have to fit the claw.

I’m not sure if the bins are on a replacement cycle, but I do know as a resident you can request a replacement bin if yours is broken. When we moved our bin had a giant hole on the side and I contacted the city, they brought a new bin the next trash collection day. Recently I noticed a bin down the alley in the same condition and called it in as well. There really is no reason to put up with damaged bins.

groundrules
    Participant

mrsgeedeck said:
    You can also keep your subscription to Rumpke with the red bin if it works for you. On my block in IV we’ve got the 300 gallon bins and most people have off street parking, I plan on leaving my bin in the driveway and work from there.
    +1 for creative thinking when it comes to these bins.

if i could creatively think my way into having a driveway, it’d be done.

Graybeak
    Participant

mrsgeedeck said:
    I’m not sure if the bins are on a replacement cycle, but I do know as a resident you can request a replacement bin if yours is broken. When we moved our bin had a giant hole on the side and I contacted the city, they brought a new bin the next trash collection day. Recently I noticed a bin down the alley in the same condition and called it in as well. There really is no reason to put up with damaged bins.

We often have to have bins replaced due to melted holes from people setting them on fire.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

@graybeak my mom offered to bring me a bin from her neighborhood after the derecho. Apparently bins were strewn all over the alley and only some reclaimed.

Graybeak
    Participant

According to the web site, you can also, after the initial period, order additional bins for $70 each.

groundrules
    Participant

mrsgeedeck said:
    You can also keep your subscription to Rumpke with the red bin if it works for you.

that’d be great, but the .pdf linked doesn’t seem to support that notion. says Rumpke is going to request them back at some point after the big bin rollout. and:

“In order for recycling collection to be handled in an efficient manner, containers must be of a uniform size.”

which was the assertation in the GV article above.

ehill27
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    Most of the 300 gallon containers I see are in pretty rough shape. Lids busted off, cracks and even ones that have huge holes in them.

mrsgeedeck said:
    I’m not sure if the bins are on a replacement cycle, but I do know as a resident you can request a replacement bin if yours is broken.

Yes, you can request repairs or replacements for the 300-gallon containers at http://311.columbus.gov (choose the “Refuse Collection Services” option). I’ve done it a couple times in the past… works like a charm.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I thought that I’d just have to wait until it was time for everybody in the neighborhood to get new ones. A new container will cut down the ‘skeeter and ‘possum level.

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    More than 2,000 Tons Collected in First Two Months of Recycling Program

The City of Columbus’ July residential recycling collections in Phase 1 and Phase 2 neighborhoods kept 1,314 tons of reusable materials out of the landfill. Since June, the start of the program, 2,013 tons have been collected saving $111,732 in fees the city would have had to pay to landfill these items as part of trash service.

Three July collections in Phase 1, comprised of 47,400 households in west, southwest, far west and northwest neighborhoods, generated more than 830 tons of recyclables. One July collection in Phase 2, comprised of 56,500 households in east, south and southeast neighborhoods, generated 484 tons of recyclables. The July collections saved $72,917 in landfill tipping fees.

“I am proud of our residents who are stepping up and filling up the blue recycling carts,” said Mayor Michael B. Coleman. “We are making Columbus a greener city and getting value out of items that just a short time ago were being put in the trash.”

To help residents know what to do when the recycling cart is delivered to their home, the City has created a humorous educational video that can be viewed at RecycleColumbus.org. The video is one component of an integrated education and outreach program that includes community presentations, neighborhood posters and displays, media coverage, phone call reminders to recycle and TV Public Service Announcements.

Collected recyclables showed little contamination, indicating that residents knew what items were recyclable and what items were not.

Recycling is collected at no additional cost to residents every two weeks, alternating with yard waste collection. The program is expected to save the City of Columbus millions of dollars in landfill costs over several years.

“We can see the enthusiasm for this program in the participation rate by Columbus residents,” said Councilmember Eileen Y. Paley, chair of the Public Service and Transportation Committee. “The cost savings associated with recycling provides the community a tangible result of their good work.”

Phase 3 neighborhoods on the north side began receiving their blue recycling carts on Monday, August 6. The first collection for Phase 3 neighborhoods is September 26. Phases 4 and 5 will receive their carts and begin collections this fall and in early 2013.

When fully implemented in February 2013, RecyColumbus will serve approximately 227,000 households. Columbus residents living in single-family homes or in a building with four units or less that is not part of a complex are eligible for this new, convenient and easy-to-use city service.

RecyColumbus is a program of the City of Columbus Department of Public Service. Visit http://www.RecycleColumbus.org to learn more about collection days, cart delivery or what to put in the cart. Connect online at: Facebook.com/ ColumbusPublicService and twitter.com/ColumbusDPS or search for #RecycleColumbus.

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    More Than 3,000 Tons Collected in First Three Months of Recycling Program

The City of Columbus’ new residential recycling program RecyColumbus has collected 3,192 tons of recyclables in its first three months, including 1,178 tons of recycling collected in August. Currently, 104,264 households in the west, far west, northwest, east, south and southeast sides are participating in the program that will be implemented citywide by February 2013.

“Residents told us they wanted residential recycling, and they have embraced it,” said Mayor Michael B. Coleman. “The people of Columbus are stepping up to make this one of the greenest cities in the nation.”

The 3,192 tons of recyclables diverted from the landfill since the start of the residential recycling program has saved the City taxpayers $176,971 in tipping fees that would have been paid to dump the reusable materials at the landfill. The total includes $65,291 in savings from the 1,178 tons of recyclables collected in August.

“The residential recycling program continues to provide real savings to our residents who clearly understand the importance of the program when it comes to protecting our environment and also reducing land fill costs,” said Councilmember Eileen Y. Paley, chair of the Public Service and Transportation Committee.

The collected recycling had little contamination by regular trash, showing that residents knew what items were recyclable. August recycling totals in the first two phases of the program include:
    · Phase 1 (Franklinton, the Hilltop, Far West Side, Southwest Side and parts of the Northwest Side): 581 tons from 47,741 households
    · Phase 2 (South Side, Southeast Side, Near East Side south of East Broad Street and the Far East Side): 596 tons from 56,523 households

Bi-weekly recycling collection started in Phase 1 areas on June 4 and in Phase 2 neighborhoods on July 31. The remaining residential recycling implementation schedule includes:
    · Phase 3 (Far North and Far Northwest neighborhoods north of S.R. 161): Bi-weekly recycling collections will begin September 26
    · Phase 4 (Clintonville, Harrison West, Italian Village, Milo-Grogan, Northwest Side south of Bethel Road, the Short North, the University area, Victorian Village and Weinland Park): Recycling cart deployment to begin October 15; bi-weekly collection of recycling to begin December 6
    · Phase 5: (North and South Linden, Near East Side north of East Broad Street, Northeast Side): Recycling cart deployment to begin December 10; bi-weekly collection of recycling to begin February 1, 2013

When fully implemented in February 2013, RecyColumbus will serve approximately 215,000 households. Columbus residents living in single-family homes or in a building with four units or less that is not part of a complex are eligible for the new, easy-to-use service.

Recycling is collected at no additional cost to residents every two weeks, alternating with yard waste collection. The program is expected to save the City of Columbus millions of dollars in landfill costs over several years.

Residents can learn what to do when the recycling cart is delivered to their home by watching an educational video online at http://www.recyclecolumbus.org, where residents can also find out what their collection day is and more about recycling. The video is part of public outreach and education program that includes community presentations, neighborhood posters and displays, media coverage, phone call reminders to recycle and television public service announcements.

Residents can also connect online at: Facebook.com/ ColumbusPublicService and twitter.com/ColumbusDPS or search for #RecycleColumbus.

sirlancelot
    Participant

Nice idea with serious problems. My street, in the Discovery District, received many blue recycling bins-suddenly-before downed trees were removed (from the June windstorm). Why then? The street numbered bins were dumped along sidewalks next to homes with little notice and few instructions on storage and pick-up. Recycling bins ended up next to trash containers behind apartment buildings. The recycling bins are apparently only for home owners and not apartments, which makes no sense. The blue bins behind apartments are overflowing. Just who is responsible for this mess? If Columbus wants residents to recycle, it needs to include everyone.

Graybeak
    Participant

I left a little later than normal the other day, and was chagrined to see some neighbor’s working in their open garage. They had 5 blue bins in there, and were going through pulling out aluminum cans, stomping them and bagging them.

I was further annoyed to come home to my blue bin, freshly emptied of recyclables, filled with a different neighbor’s trash, including a wonderful bundle of dirty diapers.

I guess it is not for all neighborhoods.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

My neighbor was irritated to see that I pulled my bin in my garage so they’d stop filling it up with their unbroken down boxes, etc.

The thing is, I also want to recycle, you inbred.

Then she had the gull to ask why *I* don’t walk my recycling down to the other bins she has further down the alley if “my” bin was full.

Here’s your sign.

evantyler
    Participant

@sirlancelot When I had an issue with the new recycling program I used the city’s 311 to report it and it was taken care of in two days.

(The issue was that Rumpke claimed my bin was in the wrong place (curb) so they wouldn’t take my recycleables. They left a note saying it should be in the alley, but my house does not have alley access. The alley trash cans are for my neighbors behind and beside me. Once I explained that my trash gets picked up at the curb, they relented.)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 131 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: