Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City-Wide Curbside Recycling - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City-Wide Curbside Recycling – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 131 total)
  • Author

6a
    Participant

alexs said:
    Wow, I don’t get it until 12/6.

I’ll be interested to see how the neighbors react to this. As it is now, there is only one other red recycle tub on the curb within sight of mine.

I can tell you I never bothered to recycle anything before and I have an overstuffed blue bin waiting patiently for Monday’s pickup. It actually shocked me, seeing how much I was needlessly adding to the landfill.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrpoppinzs said:
    Will they eventually offer free recycling pickup to complexes?

I believe it’s probably left up to the apartment complex to provide large recycling bins and pickup services, similar to how private waste hauling companies are contracted for larger complexes.

TaraK
    Participant

The website says that ours should be dropped off anytime in the next few weeks (we’re in Schumacher). I’ll be interested to see how others use this. I hadn’t heard much about it in my circle, and, if not for this CU thread, I would probably have ignored them when they turned up.

Do they leave them at the curb, or put them at doors?

Nonetheless, super exciting stuff. I look forward to giving up the hauling of our pile-bin to Kroger.

Ricolla

Do they leave them at the curb, or put them at doors?

They dropped ours off on the sidewalk in front of our house. You will hear them coming as they are dropped off down the street. Thump, thump, thump…

TaraK
    Participant

Ricolla said:
    You will hear them coming [. . .] down the street. Thump, thump, thump…

Without context, that statement is terrifying.

News
    Participant

Columbus Makes History With 1st Recycling Day
    Published: June 04, 2012

It was a historical day for Columbus — it was the city’s first recycling pick-up day. Northwest Side neighbors rolled out their blue recycling bins, and Rumpke workers emptied them.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/jun/04/6/columbus-makes-history-first-recycling-day-ar-1059551/

News
    Participant

Curbing mistakes in recycling
    By Joe Blundo
    Dispatch Saturday June 9, 2012 5:22 AM

Debbie Holycross doesn’t have time to reject every non-recyclable she finds in a curbside recycling bin. But she’s unforgiving with wire coat hangers, which are prone to becoming tangled in trash compactors and sorting equipment.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2012/06/09/curbing-mistakes-in-recycling.html

Inacan
    Inacan
    Participant

No more bags O stuff put in my car and taken to a drop off! I am one happy camper.

Jcputerbaugh
    Participant

Inacan said:
    No more bags O stuff put in my car and taken to a drop off! I am one happy camper.

I’m jealous. I have recycling containers in my trunk as we speak.

FireEngine
    Participant

Thump…thump…thump

Had bins dropped off in my neighborhood here in the eastside pseudoburbs.

Went through my trash and pulled all the recyclables even though it’s six weeks before pick up day.

cheap

Rumpke truck came and went this morning.
    was an opportunity given to other recycling companies to put in a bid on this service?

Twixlen
    Participant

cheap said:
    Rumpke truck came and went this morning.
    was an opportunity given to other recycling companies to put in a bid on this service?

They still have the bins at the park.

Twixlen
    Participant

FireEngine said:
    Thump…thump…thump

Had bins dropped off in my neighborhood here in the eastside pseudoburbs.

Went through my trash and pulled all the recyclables even though it’s six weeks before pick up day.

By the time last Monday rolled around, my bin was stuffed, I had a huge stack of flattened boxes & 2 full bags – they took it all.

News
    Participant

First Day of New Recycling Program Nets 400 Tons of Material
    Published on June 13, 2012
    By: Walker

The City of Columbus officially launched the new city-wide curbside recycling program in March and began distributing carts to westside neighborhoods including Franklinton, The Hilltop and Westland.

The first collection day took place last Monday, June 4th, and brought in a total of 400.9 tons of plastics, glass and other reusable materials. This collection is being touted by city leaders as resulting in a $22,217 savings in landfill dumping fees.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-day-of-new-recycling-program-nets-400-tons-of-material

Graybeak
    Participant

Well, it looks like the next round of bins is starting to be delivered. While I didn’t get the coveted “First Bin delivered by the Mayor” full of valuable prizes, at least it was someone I know. I hope to get my bin soon!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 131 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: