Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City-Wide Curbside Recycling - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City-Wide Curbside Recycling – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 131 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

City hopes free curbside recycling catches on
    By GARY SEMAN JR.
    ThisWeek Community News
    Wednesday May 30, 2012 11:23 AM

No more hauling plastic containers, glass bottles and paper to the recycling drop-off center for Kathy Hoke. Starting Monday, June 4, she need only walk her recyclables to the curb. Hoke’s West Side residence is among 47,000 households involved in the first phase of the city’s new, free recycling program. The service area includes portions of Columbus’ West, Northwest and South sides. Each household received a 64-gallon blue bin that will be emptied every two weeks, alternating with yard-waste pickup.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/northwest/news/2012/05/29/city-hopes-free-curbside-recycling-catches-on.html

Taz Devil
    Participant

If I am reading this correctly, this really pisses me off. According to this, if I live in a condo/double house we are not eligible for this program? I have been driving recylcling to the remote stations for years and years and this gets my goat. If this is true, my recycling is going straight in the trash.

Ricolla

All the doubles in my hood received their own recycle bin. Not sure about condo communities and how that is handled though.

Graybeak
    Participant

Taz Devil said:
    If I am reading this correctly, this really pisses me off. According to this, if I live in a condo/double house we are not eligible for this program? I have been driving recylcling to the remote stations for years and years and this gets my goat. If this is true, my recycling is going straight in the trash.

Nope, I don’t think you are reading it right.
    multifamily dwellings such as condominium and apartment complexes.

From the Columbus website
    • City of Columbus resident.
    • Lives in a single family home or building of four attached units or less that is not part of a complex.

Digital Dave
    Participant

Thats great news. Looking foreward to when it comes to Olde Town East area.

Graybeak
    Participant

Roll Out Map

Depending on which side of Broad Street you are on, (I am still learning the 97 different neighborhood names and locations) It could be July for you, or February ’13

Taz Devil
    Participant

Thanks Graybeak. The article didn’t have that detail – sweet. Looking forward to it, too bad it isn’t until 2013.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Wow, I don’t get it until 12/6.

I’ll be interested to see how the neighbors react to this. As it is now, there is only one other red recycle tub on the curb within sight of mine.

melikecheese
    Participant

I am really excited that I should get a bin in August! Also excited to see the pickers reaction and see if they clean them out in the middle of the night.

groundrules
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    I am really excited that I should get a bin in August! Also excited to see the pickers reaction and see if they clean them out in the middle of the night.

I’ve never quite understood why the pickers go through the alley dumpsters looking for cans, but have never once hit the pre-sorted riches that are in my red tub out front.

I love the idea of curb-side recycling (which i now have). I love the idea of free curbside recycling (which I will soon have). What I don’t like is the idea of having to store that big giant blue thing. There’s literally no room for that thing the way our houses are configured. i don’t know where it will go. I wish I could just keep using my red tub for free.

Twixlen
    Participant

I love my huge blue bin. What I don’t love is that I’ve had it for weeks and the sucker has been full for two weeks, and I still have 4 days to go. I wonder if they’ll take bagged recycling that’s along-side? Or flattened boxes? I’mma try it – nothing else is fitting in that can.

groundrules
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    I love my huge blue bin. What I don’t love is that I’ve had it for weeks and the sucker has been full for two weeks, and I still have 4 days to go. I wonder if they’ll take bagged recycling that’s along-side? Or flattened boxes? I’mma try it – nothing else is fitting in that can.

drink canned beer. crushes smaller. you ain’t fancy ;)

Twixlen
    Participant

groundrules said:
    drink canned beer. crushes smaller. you ain’t fancy ;)

HA!! This is extra funny, because I was thinking of all the cans of cat & dog food, cans of beer & hard cider, etc that are in the bin that I didn’t crush & how I was going to have to go back to stompin’ cans. Really, I’mma hafta start stompin’ everything.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I crush aluminum but I take that to CycleMet for a few bucks.

I’ve left big flattened cardboard under the tub, and they’ve taken it. (It was a lesson to work as a janitor in a store, and see the value of folding boxes down when it comes to saving space.)

I went by the bins at the Sawmill Meijer, it looked like they had a bunch of trash in them.

mrpoppinzs

Will they eventually offer free recycling pickup to complexes?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 131 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE