Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools - News, Updates, and Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Schools – News, Updates, and Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 617 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

Columbus City Schools Needs New Buildings, May Present Levy for 2016
    September 2, 2015 11:24 am – Miriam Bowers Abbott

It may have come as a surprise when officials announced last night that the district is forming a committee to assess needs for renovation and new building construction. The district has long wanted to duplicate successful lottery programs such as CAHS, in order to expand service capacity. These needs for new construction would fuel the placement of a levy on a future ballot.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-city-schools-levy-2016-ma1

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Another day on fantasy island. Other people’s money. Voters keep letting it happen.

As a society maybe we should make a goal to remove the concept of lottery from education. Are you kidding me? I guess it works to condition the kids we are failing to piss their money away as poor adults into the grown up lottery.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I guess it works to condition the kids we are failing to piss their money away as poor adults into the grown up lottery.

Hahahahah! I really, really, really hope you’re joking.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>
    I guess it works to condition the kids we are failing to piss their money away as poor adults into the grown up lottery.

Hahahahah! I really, really, really hope you’re joking.

If wish the use of any “luck or chance” game were not involved in kids education. Has no one thought about this? How can anyone with a soul not be offended that in our society we have to raffle opportunity to kids. It speaks volumes about the failure of those entrusted to build a future for kids.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

For those who think the smoke has cleared with the school cheating scandals… Remember that in Atlanta the Feds waited until the last day possible to indict people.(I think a five year investigation) I’m not sure all the embarsment is over for Columbus. Gene Harris still could be prosecuted. No gold watches for retirement this time? Just for her co-conspirators.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If wish the use of any “luck or chance” game were not involved in kids education. Has no one thought about this? How can anyone with a soul not be offended that in our society we have to raffle opportunity to kids. It speaks volumes about the failure of those entrusted to build a future for kids.

That’s not what you originally said. You were implying that if kids are exposed to a lottery system for school choice, then they’ll be inclined to become gambling addicts as adults.

Which is HILARIOUS.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I implied future gambling addicts ? What. Again everyone should be ashamed we use a lottery system in education. Thanks for trying to reframe what I said. I know I’m a moron guilty of thought crimes.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I implied future gambling addicts ? What.

Thanks for trying to reframe what I said.

I know I’m a moron guilty of thought crimes.

I interpreted it the same way (though I was thinking it was some sort of sarcasm).

For some families, lottery is the only path to opportunity. I understand that many families don’t “win” the lottery, so I’m glad there are also vouchers and charters as options for them.

The educational environments in many city schools are indescribably awful. Three guns last week? Even the “wealthy” neighborhood high school keeps its bathroom doors locked. I can’t imagine forcing families to put their kids in those places.

And the notion that “all” the schools should be awesome is lovely, I’m sure the district agrees. Agreement doesn’t change the conditions in the classrooms, it just gives families warm feelies. CCS spends lots of time on its image and PR, but that doesn’t change the realities for its students.

News
    Participant

Columbus City Schools Bilked Out Of Tutoring Money
    By MANDIE TRIMBLE • OCT 5, 2015

An Ohio audit special investigation found Columbus City Schools was charged close to $1 million for tutoring services children never received. The audit’s findings were released Monday after U.S. Attorneys unsealed an indictment.

READ MORE: http://radio.wosu.org/post/columbus-city-schools-bilked-out-tutoring-money-0#stream/0

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

So today there are 2 stories about the state of Ohio letting up to 60 administrators involved in the fraud at CCS. They get their 2 year sentence forgiven except for 2 weeks over the summer? No loss of work.
    So this pack of lying trash still gets to be your kids principle etc! Nothing will change until these losers are removed from being involved with you kids education.
    Let all the defenders of this ongoing systemic corruption and fraud stand up! You are worse POS than the administrators.
    When will people finally have it with the patronize mill that is the public education system in the cities? They are screwing over poor kids to grow and maintain their control and money.
    Shame.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/02/18/Yost_responds_to_principal_suspension_deal.html

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Down with the lying trash losers! (LTL)

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I wanted to add this thought. If there are 60 administrators being sent letters, combine that with the ones that were charged in court or fired and you have a lot of people involved. I know a teacher that discovered it randomly so I assume others knew as well (I know teachers were reporting it) So would it be safe to say 100 people people knew? Did 150 know? It’s really chilling to think the district is still in the hands of these people. Systemic. Not addressed.

Auditor Yost just said the same thing:

“That assumes that having 60 lying, cheating administrators on the job makes your school district run better.”

I don’t know how keeping all those people is good PR for the district. Either they’re liars, or they’re half-witted and weak. Neither is leadership material.

There’s a little video with this article. Watching the incredulous look on Yost’s face, as he unpacks the recommendations is priceless.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/02/18/Yost_responds_to_principal_suspension_deal.html

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 617 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!