Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus City Schools - News, Updates, and Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Schools – News, Updates, and Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 617 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Press Release sent over earlier today:

U.S.News and World Report Ranks 12 Columbus City Schools High Schools as Among Best in Nation

U.S.News and World Report® magazine has released its 2010 America’s Best High Schools report, ranking 12 Columbus City Schools high schools as among the nation’s best. Columbus has more individuals schools recognized with the “bronze or better” designation than any other district or charter entity in the central-Ohio area, as well as the state.

The 2010 CCS honorees are:

Alum Crest High School – Bronze

Briggs High School* – Bronze

Centennial High School* – Bronze

Columbus Alternative High School* – Silver

Eastmoor Academy* – Bronze

Fort Hayes Metro Education Center (MEC) and High School* – Bronze

Independence High School – Bronze

Marion-Franklin High School – Bronze

Northland High School – Bronze

South High School – Bronze

Walnut Ridge High School – Bronze

Whetstone High School* – Bronze

* Denotes the school has earned the designation for three consecutive years.

“These rankings are an additional affirmation of the hard work, districtwide and at all levels, by staff, parents, and the community to prepare all students for the next stage in life,” said Dr. Gene T. Harris, Columbus Schools Superintendent. “Our goal is that each student graduate, be accepted by the college, university or technical school of their choice; and, be capable of earning the diploma, licensure or certification that allows them to be prepared for work in our global economy.”

Additionally, in a separate ranking, silver-medal winner Columbus Alternative High School, with an IB® Exam passing rate of greater than 75%, was the only Ohio school listed by the publication as a top International Baccalaureate school. The International Baccalaureate program is globally recognized for its ability to prepare students for a college education.

Of the 18,743 eligible public high schools examined by U.S. News and its partner in the project, School Evaluation Services, 1,750 were recognized for considerably outperforming their state’s standards. The publication uses a three-step process to determine if the school’s performance level exceed statistical expectations and how well each school serves its entire student body – traditional, economically disadvantaged, and college-bound.

Specifically, it measures how well the school performed against the state’s accountability system in the core areas of reading and math; and, the school’s participation and performance in Advanced Placement® exams or International Baccalaureate® exams.

This is not the first appearance for Columbus City Schools (CCS) in this ranking. In 2008, the ranking’s inaugural year, CCS had eight high schools earn the designation. The following year, seven Columbus schools were recognized.

Michael Straughter

Columbus City Schools

Communications Office

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbus alternative schools not as popular
    Monday, December 14, 2009
    BY JENNIFER SMITH RICHARDS
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Over the summer, officials from a group of Columbus alternative schools phoned parents whose children had left the district for charter schools to beg them to come back.

Enrollment had been dwindling for several years at Mifflin, Franklin and Monroe middle schools, which all admit students citywide and only through the lottery process. At a time when Columbus City Schools were shutting buildings, low enrollment is a bull’s-eye.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/12/14/alternative.ART_ART_12-14-09_A1_0NG0629.html?sid=101

adrock

looks like ohio as a whole stinks though: http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high-schools/2009/12/09/americas-best-high-schools-state-by-state-statistics.html

i wonder if the “percentage of economically disadvantaged students” helped to boost columbus school rankings.

I’m shocked that Whetstone made the list. I’ve heard horrible things about that high school in recent years.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

something is fishy with these results, South, Marion Franklin and Walnut Ridge are terrible, jacked up schools. Interestingly West did not make the list and compared to the three above, it is a pretty good school. Beechcroft also failed to make the list and it is also far superior to many of those that did.

Seems the only CPS high schools that did not make the list are Africentric, Brookhaven, Mifflin, Beechcroft, West….

maybe these are more subjective than objective.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

spookygoddess78 wrote >>
    I’m shocked that Whetstone made the list. I’ve heard horrible things about that high school in recent years.

Whetstone is actually a pretty good school and the new principal is very good.

rus
    rus
    Participant

adrock wrote >>
    looks like ohio as a whole stinks though: http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high-schools/2009/12/09/americas-best-high-schools-state-by-state-statistics.html
    i wonder if the “percentage of economically disadvantaged students” helped to boost columbus school rankings.

Be nice to see how they arrived at their numbers, wouldn’t it?

rus wrote >>

adrock wrote >>

Be nice to see how they arrived at their numbers, wouldn’t it?

Too bad the algorithm is proprietary.

myliftkk
    Participant

and they’re not going to be giving out those algorithims. those ranking issues are the only thing keeping that faltering weekly afloat. it’ll be a shame when they go under, a lot of healthcare organizations will have to take down their ranking billboards they put up every year.

gramarye
    Participant

I would certainly never recommend that list to any family member or friend moving into or within the area. I have to believe that bad economic conditions give schools an incredible boost in whatever formula USNWR used here. For evaluating public high schools, I tend to look at the GreatSchools.net rankings, as well as the official report cards (which GS also uses, among other information).

Coley

I am an alumni of Fort Hayes (after 10 yrs of Catholic school) and my step-daughter goes to CAHS. If you have to choose a CCS to go to, it would be one of these.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

gramarye wrote >>
    I would certainly never recommend that list to any family member or friend moving into or within the area. I have to believe that bad economic conditions give schools an incredible boost in whatever formula USNWR used here. For evaluating public high schools, I tend to look at the GreatSchools.net rankings, as well as the official report cards (which GS also uses, among other information).

These schools may not be 100% perfect like the suburban schools want people to believe they are but that doesn’t change the fact that they are actually good schools. I honestly don’t understand this obsession with sending a kid to the absolute best of the best school anyway. When it comes to finding a job, nobody cares what high school you go to; although you can bet they are interested in your higher education. As long as these schools are giving kids the necessary foundation they need for college (and they are), who really cares if the average student didn’t get to take AP Pig Latin?

Also, I find GreatScools.net ratings to be suspect. They will often give a full 10/10 rating to suburban schools that are good but not truly outstanding. OTOH, they don’t give 10 ratings to any Columbus schools despite some that are truly outstanding. I did some digging and found out they get a lot of their funding from real estate companies which may have a conflict of interest with maintaining suburban property values. There are a lot of people who have an large financial interest in keeping the status quo, unfortunately.

Coley

Analogue Kid wrote >>

gramarye wrote >>

These schools may not be 100% perfect like the suburban schools want people to believe they are but that doesn’t change the fact that they are actually good schools. I honestly don’t understand this obsession with sending a kid to the absolute best of the best school anyway. When it comes to finding a job, nobody cares what high school you go to; although you can bet they are interested in your higher education. As long as these schools are giving kids the necessary foundation they need for college (and they are), who really cares if the average student didn’t get to take AP Pig Latin?
    Also, I find GreatScools.net ratings to be suspect. They will often give a full 10/10 rating to suburban schools that are good but not truly outstanding. OTOH, they don’t give 10 ratings to any Columbus schools despite some that are truly outstanding. I did some digging and found out they get a lot of their funding from real estate companies which may have a conflict of interest with maintaining suburban property values. There are a lot of people who have an large financial interest in keeping the status quo, unfortunately.

+1: I totally agree with you there. It’s really what the individual student and the student’s parents make of it. While in Catholic school I saw may kids squander a valuable educational opportunity and the parents could care less because they considered paying tuition their parent involvement.

berdawn

Coley wrote >>
    I am an alumni of Fort Hayes (after 10 yrs of Catholic school) and my step-daughter goes to CAHS. If you have to choose a CCS to go to, it would be one of these.

Neither of those are schools that parents can choose, though…they’re lottery-based.

Coley

berdawn wrote >>

Coley wrote >>

Neither of those are schools that parents can choose, though…they’re lottery-based.</blockquote

Agreed- but as stated previously it really matters what the child and the parents make out of the experience. Also once you are in the school you don’t have to reapply for the lottery. When you’re in you’re in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 617 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!